Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Tinkerbell2B
Mouseketeer

Does DCL stick with ship time?

I can't remember if DCL sticks with ship time from where the ship departed, or does time on the ship change during the cruise. I am on the March 16th sailing on the Fantasy doing the western route. Thanks!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell2B View Post
I can't remember if DCL sticks with ship time from where the ship departed, or does time on the ship change during the cruise. I am on the March 16th sailing on the Fantasy doing the western route. Thanks!
Our experience has been that when traveling across time zones we change time. Now, we've mostly done cruises that were long ones (TA, PC), so, we have to change times. But even on our MR cruise we changed time.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell2B
The ship followed local time on our Western Caribbean cruise. I know, because I almost missed my spa appt. THAT would have been a tragedy . Next time I'll pay better attention!
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
clten
DIS Veteran

It is completely up to the captain. Although in most cases, we have changed to local time. One exception was when the clocks changed anyway for daylight savings time (can't remember if it was spring or fall) but we didn't change to local time on that cruise and were an hour off in port. I mention it because DST starts in early March. (Just checked the date, it's the week before you. So you should be okay.)
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
PA Princess
DIS Veteran

I had read on the Dis previously that the ship stayed with port time, but on our August Fantasy western trip, the ship changed times...moved an hour ahead and then an hour back. It was not a big deal, but could make havoc if you did not pay attention. It was listed in the Navigator and there were announcements.
PA Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Princess View Post
I had read on the Dis previously that the ship stayed with port time, but on our August Fantasy western trip, the ship changed times...moved an hour ahead and then an hour back. It was not a big deal, but could make havoc if you did not pay attention. It was listed in the Navigator and there were announcements.
Wouldn't changing the times mean that it DID stay with port time? The times in the ports were different from each other (1 hour ahead then an hour back), so the ship time would have to change to say with port time.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #7
rcchello
DIS Veteran

On the Canada cruise we changed time when we got near Halifax.

Bob
OKW - SSR
Next Trip - Who knows???

Just because it worked for me or worked this way in the past or is part of the great Dis lore is no reason it will work this way in the future. Depending on the CM you get, new interpretation of the rules, changes in rules, weather over the Himalayas, your results may be different.
rcchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

on the Fantasy in June (western) we changed times.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
BethC1952
DIS Veteran
Has been VERY patient and VERY helpful!

I've been on two Western Caribbean cruises with DCL and we changed to local time on each cruise. We also changed to local time on the Eastern Caribbean, and on the Canadian cruises.

Beth
Old 10-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb

Wouldn't changing the times mean that it DID stay with port time? The times in the ports were different from each other (1 hour ahead then an hour back), so the ship time would have to change to say with port time.
Perhaps pa princess meant *departure* port time?

Except in the 1 example mentioned above, I can't imagine why a ship docking in a port wouldn't follow local time (and even in the case of DST I would be confused...then again I have a bad track record with time changes on ship no matter what!). What a nightmare that would be, making sure everyone made it back for All Aboard time!
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: