Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #31
melissarose
Mouseketeer

thanks everyone for all your comments and pictures!
melissarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:35 AM   #32
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
I'm enjoying this thread we have reservations for AB in Dec and wasn't looking fwd to the resort I was being fussy after being use to Poly and GF..

I'm now looking fwd to it!
My sentiments exactly~
We are downgrading from Deluxe and I am a little anxious that we are going to be very sorry to be in a Mod. However, this thread is helping..
dreamcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 05:53 AM   #33
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcruiser

My sentiments exactly~
We are downgrading from Deluxe and I am a little anxious that we are going to be very sorry to be in a Mod. However, this thread is helping..
We did the exact same thing last trip.... Deluxe to moderate, but we chose POFQ for its compactness ! POR is too huge and spread out, sure didn't want a huge resort to traipse around after walking all day in a park, and we're room to pool to food court to lounge to pool to room people in a day... do compactness was important!

Now for being a devout deluxe person, thought the mod of POFQ was pretty decent all around, we still missed the deluxe for its close proximity to a park aspect... We're fans of WL, over 12 stays the and really enjoy the boat over and back a few times a day...plus we feel the theming and atmosphere at the deluxe is better than a mod but where we do care about are the inside corridors and under one roof the deluxe offers us in the WL....but this was a cost saving trip for our daughter and family which they wanted us to be along with our grandchildren.... Ok but not our cup of tea... We're spoiled deluxe snobs and proud of it!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #34
nikki7680
Mouseketeer

My family and I just stayed there in November 2011. We had an AB room in building 14. Beautiful resort! My only suggestion is to pay for a "preferred room". This guarantees you a room in the one of the buildings closest to the food court and pool. Also, if you have time when you are there, take a walk along the river to French Quarter. It's a beautiful walk and you get to experience a little of both resorts. Have fun!!

Take Me To My Happy Place! September 2014 PTR

nikki7680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #35
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe of ohio View Post
We did the exact same thing last trip.... Deluxe to moderate, but we chose POFQ for its compactness ! POR is too huge and spread out, sure didn't want a huge resort to traipse around after walking all day in a park, and we're room to pool to food court to lounge to pool to room people in a day... do compactness was important!

Now for being a devout deluxe person, thought the mod of POFQ was pretty decent all around, we still missed the deluxe for its close proximity to a park aspect... We're fans of WL, over 12 stays the and really enjoy the boat over and back a few times a day...plus we feel the theming and atmosphere at the deluxe is better than a mod but where we do care about are the inside corridors and under one roof the deluxe offers us in the WL....but this was a cost saving trip for our daughter and family which they wanted us to be along with our grandchildren.... Ok but not our cup of tea... We're spoiled deluxe snobs and proud of it!
Us too! Love the proximity to the parks that a deluxe affords. This trip will be at POR for two reasons...one, no discount was available for WL (our first choice) and two, we like to go more than once a year, so discounts are doubly needed!
We love the WL too...not as many stays there as you, but several, and we really enjoy the warmth of the theming.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #36
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcruiser

Us too! Love the proximity to the parks that a deluxe affords. This trip will be at POR for two reasons...one, no discount was available for WL (our first choice) and two, we like to go more than once a year, so discounts are doubly needed!
We love the WL too...not as many stays there as you, but several, and we really enjoy the warmth of the theming.
Yeah, good discounts have been few.... Was kicking around squeezing in a 4th trip in this AP at the lodge and the only thing doable at a decent rate was the WLV in a studio, it's just the wife and I... We've done a studio before and I really prefer the main lodge but want a better discount!! I ran the numbers thru David's point rental for the studio and though you do not get maid service everyday it was very cheap for 6-8 nights....( I rather use his service over trusting someone I don't know in renting their points).

But again, based on location... For us, it's WL over all the other resorts in the MK area... And we are big MK fans!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #37
TandLMommy28
DIS Veteran

Pay for preferred or River view. From what I could tell, river view rooms in the mansions were all pretty close to the main pool (not counting the river view Royal rooms, which are pretty far from the main pool). Before this trip I thought it was crazy to pay more for a preferred room or river view. After the trip, I totally get it!

We just spent eight wonderful days at POR. I really can't imagine staying anywhere else (except pofq!). We had two years to save for this trip and could have done deluxe but I really didn't want to. The Port Orleans resorts are just so awesome.

TandLMommy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #38
LONES
Mouseketeer

I'm sure you'll love POR! We are a POFQ family all the way, but stayed at Riverside last January due to no discounts being available at FQ. I was very stressed out thinking that I would spend the whole vacation wishing I was over at FQ. Honestly.... next time we go I will be very torn as to which side I want to stay. Riverside is absolutely beautiful. We stayed in the inner courtyard (garden view) of Magnolia Terrace. The walk to the main pool and food court did not seem bad to me. I'm 41 years old, and other than being a little on the "pooh size" side of things, I'm in pretty good shape. My parents are in their late 60's, and traveled with us. They really liked Riverside, but would have preferred to be back at FQ. They both have some health and mobility issues, and the walk was pretty hard for them. I made quite a few runs to the food court for them. I know some people think that anyone that can manage the parks all day for a week shouldn't have a problem with walking around a large resort... but for my parents it takes everything they have to manage around the parks. By the time we get back to the resort, they are done! If my parents ever went back to Riverside, they would absolutely need to spend the extra $30.00 per night for Preferred. At your age, and assuming you're in relatively good shape... I would not spend the extra money.

Enjoy your trip!!!! You will love it!!!!!
LONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #39
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

We stayed at POR back in January -- we wanted to stay CBR, however, no room at the inn -- lucky us as POR was spectacular. We did pay for Building 14 in AB and it was worth the extra $ as we constantly ran back there at night with our mugs for hot chocolate, coffee, etc. The grounds are beautiful and we started our mornings with a walk to POFQ to get beignets as they are not available at POR, the walk woke us up and was not very far.

Enjoy it, you will have a great time.

Tom
Old 10-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #40
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

How long would you say the walk from POR to POFQ is?
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #41
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
How long would you say the walk from POR to POFQ is?
10 minutes +- a couple of minutes. LOL, if I hadn't had my coffee yet, it was faster -- heading back wth coffee and beignets, it was slower as the walk was so much more enjoyable. It is probably a half mile at most.

Tom
Old 10-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #42
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe of ohio View Post
Yeah, good discounts have been few.... Was kicking around squeezing in a 4th trip in this AP at the lodge and the only thing doable at a decent rate was the WLV in a studio, it's just the wife and I... We've done a studio before and I really prefer the main lodge but want a better discount!! I ran the numbers thru David's point rental for the studio and though you do not get maid service everyday it was very cheap for 6-8 nights....( I rather use his service over trusting someone I don't know in renting their points).

But again, based on location... For us, it's WL over all the other resorts in the MK area... And we are big MK fans!
I've never checked into David's point rentals because we would rather be in the lodge than in the villas.
We're big MK fans as well, and that's one reason we love the WL...for it's proximity (but not huge price compared with the monorail resorts) to the Magic Kingdom.
We don't have APs so that discount is not available to us. I have noticed lately that WL is not given as "high" (and I use that term loosely) a discount as in the past too, so we cross our fingers for a good RO bounceback every time.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #43
doobie11
Earning My Ears

I"m going to be in the minority here, but we didn't like POR at all. We were just at WDW from Sept 14-20. We ended up switching resorts halfway through. I'd done a ton of research before we went, so was truly expecting to love it. Check in was terrible (we did online check in, and it was at least 30 minutes even though there was only a couple of families in front of us, because they only had one person working. The regular check in line was moving fast, but not ours), but that didn't set the tone for the trip.

We had a standard room in the Magnolia section, building 85. Just over the bridge to the pool. The room was OK, pretty dusty, but fine. We waited one morning for over 40 minutes at 7:20 AM to get to AK -no buses went by at all. We even had a CM there checking the bus times, and calling for an AK bus that finally came at 8. AK didn't open until 9 am that day, so I know a full bus didn't already go by us. The rest of the time the buses were not horrible, but not great either.

We didn't enjoy the pool, it was crowded and chaotic with the afternoon pool activities. I didn't find the layout of the pool very relaxing. We could hardly find chairs that allowed to see the pool and our kids. And there wasn't a whole lot of space around the pool for walking or sitting. What I mean is that the chairs were very close to the pool edge, which made everything just seem crowded. We only ate at the food court twice, it was fine, nothing special. Didn't eat at Boatwrights. We took the boat to DTD - again, it was OK, but I didn't find it very relaxing. Maybe b/c the boat itself was very noisy, and the vibrations of the motor were annoying.
Anyway, we requested a switch to CSR halfway through, and they were very helpful. Once we got to CSR, we had a big "aah". It had a much more open feeling that POR, and much more relaxing. the pool is much better too. CSR is probably our new home. I was disappointed in POR, as I really wanted to like it. We didn't hate it, but we'll never go back.
doobie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #44
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer

Your review is appreciated. We can't all like the same resorts...so, glad you transferred to one that suited you better.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #45
zoey9989
Mouseketeer

we will be there the same time as you! 5 adults ages 24-45 jan 31-feb6 i just booked today with the new visa discount saved alot of money!!! we picked this resort for the lounge area (we will be there for superbowl) ive stayed her 3 other times and love it!
zoey9989 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
couple, por

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: