Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #31
noahdove
DIS Veteran

Well for one, I don't buy new shoes or clothes. I want my shoes to be comfy and I usually make tee shirts so they are new to what we will be doing. I fly so I don't have the added expense of dvd player or dvds. I keep all under garments in the suitcase for the next trip, they were bought just for Disney I do buy little gifts for the kids so they have a "surprise" when they wake. That's it as far as buying...
Old 09-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #32
alc571
DIS Veteran

I think this is why I'm spending so much....I'm a newbie! lol... This is my 7th trip to the world, but my first stay and only the second trip with DS7. The first trip he was only 3 so we had the luxury of having a stroller and diaper bag to do most of the carrying. This time I've been buying stuff to make the trip (and all future trips) easier...an investment, if you will. New luggage, new purse for the parks, new shoes specifically for the parks, etc. They will all be used for trips to come...although what's the fun in that! I'm sure I'll still find fun ways to spend money before the next trip!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #33
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer

Spending

Just added a cabana at discovery cove. It's gotten great reviews, and we are on vacation after all! It was another little treat from my wonderful mom!
Hubby and I have money saved for trip, and everything is paid for so far ( all tickets, airfare, car rental, timeshare, ect ect ect)
We dont believe in using credit cards to pay for stuff -- when we use them we pay off entire amount right away when we get the bill.
Since we have cash saved too, we decided to really indulge our girls and let them buy whatever they see that they would like.... No telling them no of course, this is within reason to a point.
From food treats, clothes, toys, what ever they see that like.
But, it will be fun for us too to not say no. We went to Disney on our honeymoon, so we know how expensive things are.
We are 16 days away from leaving, and i can hardly stand it....

Quick question, how soon should I start to pack? I don't want clothes to be wrinkled, but would like to start. I'm know I'm just anxious.
Any thoughts?
Swirly girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #34
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer

Spending

I'm curious as to how other people pay for vacation.
As I have posted before, we used our credit card to pay for all tickets, car rental, timeshare, airfare ect, but paid off entire balance when the bill came.
How do other people on here do things?
I've had friends that charge entire vacations and then pay for it afterwards in lump sums as they can. To us, it would seem a little unenjoyable while on vacation knowing this wasn't paid for. Not to mention once your home again!
We are savers, and we saved extra spending cash for once we get to Florida too -- character meals, and other meals, snacks and treats, merchandise, ect .
So, when we leave home for vacation, everything has been paid for.
I'm just curious the different views people have on this... Please share!!
Swirly girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #35
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly girls View Post
I'm curious as to how other people pay for vacation.
As I have posted before, we used our credit card to pay for all tickets, car rental, timeshare, airfare ect, but paid off entire balance when the bill came.
How do other people on here do things?
I've had friends that charge entire vacations and then pay for it afterwards in lump sums as they can. To us, it would seem a little unenjoyable while on vacation knowing this wasn't paid for. Not to mention once your home again!
We are savers, and we saved extra spending cash for once we get to Florida too -- character meals, and other meals, snacks and treats, merchandise, ect .
So, when we leave home for vacation, everything has been paid for.
I'm just curious the different views people have on this... Please share!!
We live in FL but visit the parks about every 4-5 years. When that time rolls around we get AP & go as often as possible for any reason during those 12 months. The last time we had AP we spent 27 days at the parks in 12 months.

We have a Disney Premier Visa, use it for all of our monthly expenses & pay it off when the bill comes. We earn 1-3% on purchases & let that accrue until we're ready for our trip. Otherwise we save all of our loose change in a large 5-gallon water jug. Generally, we end up with enough between those 2 sources to cover the AP for the 3 of us & 5-7 nights or so in a hotel. Then we're really only coming out of pocket for meals & souveniers which is very manageable compared to the total!

That covers our 'big' trip.... then for smaller, 3-day weekend trips etc. we just handle them out of our monthly entertainment budget. The park tix are already paid for at that point so it's easier.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #36
Soccer and Swim Mom
Stay at Home Mommy of 2

Embarassed to say that I think I spent almost as much money on my daughter's custom outfits / bows/ shoes/ purses for every day of the trip than I did the actual trip.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #37
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

I buy throughout the year. Before we leave for the trip, it's rare I buy anything at all in the last two months (except essentials - toothpaste, shampoo, etc.).

Off the top of my head, from December-May I bought a new backpack for DH, a pretty Vera Bradley backpack for me (for the lighter days), all new clothes for me (I cannot wear the same thing in pics! Plus I lost 20 pounds since last year's trip), new clothes for the boys (for growth spurt reasons, so this was not strictly Disney), costumes for MNSSHP, a new overnight bag (that is really more for our California trip, but we'll use it for this one as well), a new small purse for when I don't want to carry my backpack.

That's all I can think of now - I try to get organized early and relax in the months leading up to the trip.

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #38
yeahdisney
DIS Veteran

Yesterday DH said he thinks we should get a photopass for our trip cause it will be awhile before we return. So today I got at least 3 shirts at Kohl's clearance, can't have the same shirts as last year for the pictures. I think I'm good to go.
yeahdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #39
krd315
Mouseketeer

This was me last year...lol... we had little things for the dgd's for each day, disney clothes and all the extra's already mentioned. We had so much that some things came home never used (I went way overboard as it was their 1st trip) but it was fun and worth every penny and we used the extras in their Easter baskets.

We went 2 weeks ago for a quick trip and I didn't buy/make as much extra's but only because we didn't have as much time to plan.

We are going again Aug 2013 for 4 days plus our 1st Disney cruise . So a whole year to plan and wait ...I can only imagine the things I will come up with.

If you haven't already checked out the creative disign board here I highly recommend it. We did count down chains, family shirts, autograph books, Epcot passports, snack bags, etc. It is very addictive

Next up: Sept 2014 -POR
Past trips: Aug 2013, Sept 2012, Jan 2012, Aug 2000
krd315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #40
Snooks23
Mouseketeer

I've only bought a few things, but that's because we haven't officially booked yet. We are planning on going July 2013. We will book our tickets with taxes. I have a huge list of stuff I need though!
Snooks23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #41
mowatm
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiKat View Post
DH and I wait to buy ours because of weight gain or loss.

I feel you on that one!

Past Disney Trips:
1987 (off property), 1989 (off property), December 2004 (off property), December 2005 (off property), March 2009 (All Star Sports), December 2009 (Pop Century)

mowatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #42
The Fox Menagerie
Mouseketeer

We will pay off our June 2013 trip with our annual bonus which comes in March, the trip is always paid in full before we leave. I pick up things for the trip starting as soon as we book, I already bought pin packs from Ebay for trading. I also put some things on my Amazon wishlist since our family uses this for Christmas shopping for each other (a new Bagellini and the travel locker for TL). We all have lots of Disney shirts from prior trips, DH is designing 3 new matching shirts that he will order soon. By spreading purchases, it is easier to pay for everything as we go.

Apr 2014 Disneyland Hotel, Jun 2013 Polynesian Resort, Aug 2011 Disneyland Hotel, Dec 2010 Disneyland Hotel, Nov 2010 Paradise Pier Hotel, Aug 2010 Disneyland Hotel, Apr 2010 Disneyland Hotel , Jun 2009 Grand Floridian Resort, Jun 2009 Bahamas Cruise Disney Wonder, Apr 2008 Disneyland Hotel, Apr 2007 Paradise Pier Hotel, Apr 2004 Disneyland Hotel, Oct 1999 Off Property Orlando, July 1995 Off Property Disneyland, June 1990 Off Property Disneyland
The Fox Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #43
mywifelovesdisney
Earning My Ears

mywifelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #44
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

I love this thread! I always thought I was nuts but now I know I'm not alone. I think being a Disney fan and visiting WDW is good for the overall economy! I always shop like crazy before our trips...it's so much fun isn't it. We all get new cloths, sandals, sneakers, bathing suits...and the list goes on. Our trips are all paid for prior to leaving...always! This year we are DVC members...yay! We are going in June for 11 days and my lists have already begun. I love the pop up hamper idea. Gotta add that to the list. Have fun shopping everyone and enjoy your trips!

2012 BECAME DVC MEMBER AT BCV!

michelleiada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #45
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

I hear y'all. I think if I say one more time, we need to buy x, y z bc of a post on the DIS about how great it is, my DH may ban me. Lol

Coronado Springs 2014 PTR
Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time TR POFQ 2012 OKW 09
1stvisit0909 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: