Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #1051
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Wow, looks like you really hit your stride on the photos with this update. Beautiful shots of the resort and the beach.
Thanks Cap'n. Well, I was going for a photo stroll, so I thought I'd better come back with some.

Quote:
Disney really knows how to hit you with the grand lobby, don't they? The best of their resorts seem to all have that jaw-dropper of a main entrance. Looks like a great place to stay.
They do. They're all really nice, and then there's Jambo House and WKL.

Quote:
Oh, and for the coffee on the verandah reference.
You worked it in, so I had to too. Plus, I really was wondering what the neighbors must be thinking with all of the jumping jacks and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
So, in summary, you had a bunch of pictures and a 2 part TR update, that was just about you trying to procrastinate and avoid working out?
It sounds so bad the way you say it.

But in my defense, I was also looking for coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
The pictures are great though, and well worth the nice morning stroll.
Thanks, I had fun taking them.
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #1052
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

Gorgeous pics. The resort looks so pretty.
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #1053
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
But in my defense, I was also looking for coffee.
I had no idea there was coffee by the restaurant, I'd have tried it to see if it was any good. There wasn't anything at the pool bar station I don't think.

Still, I bet your Via was a bit tastier
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #1054
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny
Gorgeous pics. The resort looks so pretty.
Glad you liked 'em Scott. It's even nicer on a sunny day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom
I had no idea there was coffee by the restaurant, I'd have tried it to see if it was any good. There wasn't anything at the pool bar station I don't think.

Still, I bet your Via was a bit tastier
Oh nuts! I was looking forward to your opinion because (spoiler alert)...I liked it. I asked a CM if it was Nescafé, thinking he'd say it was brewed, but no. I couldn't believe it. He did say that it was something new.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #1055
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:

Oh nuts! I was looking forward to your opinion because (spoiler alert)...I liked it. I asked a CM if it was Nescafé, thinking he'd say it was brewed, but no. I couldn't believe it. He did say that it was something new.
If I'd have known it was there, I'd have tried it for sure!

We had plenty to brew in the villa so made a full pot each day, by the time we ventured out, I was done with coffee. Plus I think at Vero, if memory serves, I also made a pitcher of sun tea. Not positive though but either way I wasn't short on caffeine.

Glad to hear you liked it. If I ever get back (and hope to) I'd like to try it..and all the other dining options (spoiler alert but then again...nothing was planned so not really a spoiler lol).

Somehow I have a feeling you had more time to check out things like that
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:16 AM   #1056
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Vero looks so pretty and peaceful! Did it feel very "Disney" to you guys, or just like a nice beach resort?
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #1057
Elianor
Mouseketeer

His kids said it felt very Disney, although different (it was in an earlier post).

Not to rush you Glennbo, but us lurkers out here are desperate for a little Disney magic...can we get another report update soon?
Elianor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #1058
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Vero looks so pretty and peaceful! Did it feel very "Disney" to you guys, or just like a nice beach resort?
It did, but it was a little weird not having parks nearby. In thinking about it, the theming was great, everything was clean, the landscaping impeccable, and the cast members were very outgoing...so yes, very Disney. I did wonder if the cast members felt out of touch with the rest of Disney, being off on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elianor View Post
His kids said it felt very Disney, although different (it was in an earlier post).
Hey Elianor, nice to see you! I think this is your first post on this particular thread of mine, so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elianor View Post
Not to rush you Glennbo, but us lurkers out here are desperate for a little Disney magic...can we get another report update soon?
At your suggestion (gentle prodding?) I started working on the next one yesterday. It needs some more work, but yes, it'll be up soon.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #1059
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:

At your suggestion (gentle prodding?) I started working on the next one yesterday. It needs some more work, but yes, it'll be up soon.
Dang I thought I had it .. the first with an answer BUT no update
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #1061
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Fishing FUNdamentals (part 1)

After (potentially) waking the neighbors with our workout, it was time to shower and dress and wake the kids by using the kitchen which was for all intents and purposes, in their bedroom.

I had some cereal for breakfast, and reviewed the weeks' activities list, "Playful Pastimes". I saw that Fishing FUNdamentals was offered that morning and Sharktooth Necklaces later in the day. Since the rain was letting up, I offered up both activities to the kids. James wanted to try both, but the girls weren't in a hurry to be anywhere this morning, so they just opted for the Sharktooth Necklace class.

Here're pictures of the Playful Pastimes activity listings. I took these pictures later in the week, but can’t think of a better time to post them.

James and I went over to Eb & Flo's (near the pool) a little before 9:30 and registered for both the fishing and necklace activities. It was convenient to charge these to the room, and the cast member was good about checking whether we were DVC members in order to get the discounted rates.

We hung out there for a couple of minutes so I took some pictures of the mini golf area, which is right there near Eb & Flo's and the pool.

The weather had improved greatly since my earlier pictures, didn't it?

While we were waiting for our fishing instructor, we met the other dad and son who would be going on our fishing excursion with us. It turned out that James and the other boy were the only ones going fishing this morning, so that would make for a great teacher to pupil ratio.

Our fishing instructor, Maryann, came out with the boys' fishing poles, which they could keep after the class. She asked them about how much experience they had so that she could gear the lesson to them. Neither boy had done very much fishing; James' experience was limited to his uncle's pond, so we’d be starting with the basics.

Then we started walking...first, past Eb & Flo's and toward the front of the resort. The pavement past that little archway is actually inside the resort -- it’s the road from the Inn to the other buildings. The pavement you see beyond the trees is State Road A1A, but watch how we get to the other side of that!

We walked to those trees and hung a right.

Down to a tunnel. Tunnels are cool, huh James?

Maryann told us it's called Peter Pan's tunnel. And we crossed under A1A.

Now across from the resort, we hung a right onto a path.

And walked around the lake.

Looking to the right, I took a picture of the front of the resort. The driveway directly in the foreground of this picture leads out to A1A. In other words, it's not the driveway into the resort. It's hard to see, but A1A is just beyond the stop sign in this picture, and the front entrance to the resort is across from it.

We walked to a soccer field and went to a picnic table under a pavilion, where Maryann showed the boys how to knot their hooks. These were not the actual hooks they'd be using.

Then they stepped over to the soccer field and practiced casting to a hula hoop. I guess casting to a #10 washer would have been expecting too much.

James was either in it or near it on every cast. Maryann remarked how he was doing better than she was, which is a Disney cast members way of saying "Beginner’s luck!".

Then we began walking to a little dock that was on the lake we passed earlier, but further around. Along the path to the dock, we passed a picnic area that looked like it'd be a nice place to hold a party.

Maryann asked that just she and the boys go out on the dock because it was rather small. She helped them get their hooks baited with raw bacon because, well, who doesn’t like bacon??

One cast later, both boys were reeling in their first catches of the day. James correctly identified his as a bluegill. He must have learned that at his uncle's pond, because he didn't learn it from me!

continued in next post
Link to next post

Last edited by glennbo123; 07-29-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #1062
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Fishing FUNdamentals (part 2)

continued from previous post

Maryann was absolutely great with the boys. They were catching fish one after the other (quite a difference from my first-ever trip report, which you can read here and here) and she was fantastic in helping them release the fish and put on more bait, if needed. As soon as she'd finish with one boy, the other was reeling one in. I remarked that it was a good thing there were only two boys in the class; I couldn't imagine how she'd be hopping if there were more.

Then James caught their first bass.

Maryann was psyched about this one.

They continued to keep Maryann very busy.

There was a turtle near the dock looking for bacon scraps.

Then we left the dock and walked around to the end closer to the resort, near where I had taken the picture of the resort entrance. The dock we had been at, is on the other side of the tall grass in the right of this picture.

Let's watch James' casting form.

You can't argue with the results.

I moved over a little ways to get some pictures of them from a different perspective.

A couple of times James had asked me if I wanted to fish, but I said that I hadn't paid for the excursion, so it was just him. But then Maryann said "the dads can fish if they want to", so I gave it a whirl. James went on photography duty.

Oh yes. Fish fear me! (Especially when I'm wearing my "A Goofy Mind is a Happy Mind" t-shirt.) No bluegill for me, I only go for bass.

And with that, we called it a successful fishing trip. Everyone had caught a fish, it was about 10:40 and time to head back.

Up next: Sharktooth Necklaces and I find Gram's bathing suit
Link to next chapter

Last edited by glennbo123; 07-29-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #1063
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

0 Judy's!

Now to actually read it...

Ok...read That looked like a nice fishing journey! I'd be worried about accidentally catching the turtle!

Last edited by onelilspark; 10-04-2012 at 07:56 PM.
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #1064
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

You'll have to excuse me as its 2.20am here, but that was a great update glad everyone got a fish, and it's always awesome when you get a trip almost to yourself. I don't think I could be one of the teachers on a busy trip though... I'd go stir crazy keeping up!

Your catches have definitely improved through the years! I say go marlin fishin' when you retire, you never know :P

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #1065
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
One cast later, both boys were reeling in their first catches of the day. James correctly identified his as a bluegill. He must have learned that at his uncle’s pond, because he didn’t learn it from me!

Or, it could have been the blue gills on the fish that tipped him off!

That looks like a really great activity. Nothing like a fishing trip when you are catching fish nonstop.

Nice Bass, BTW!

I agree with James- that tunnel under A1A is cool.
natebenma is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: