Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #16
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

I have a Honda Odyssey. My prior van was an Oldsmobile Silhouette. I liked the Oldsmobile better in many ways. The older Silhouettes were made really well (the last couple years, not so much). I would have bought one if they hadn't changed them....and then they stopped making them. So, we looked at Dodge, Honda, Toyota and Kia. Didn't like the Dodge at all, the Toyota's seats didn't fit comfortably, Kia just didn't suit us, so we were left with Honda. (I'm not sure if they were making Routans in 2007, but I didn't know about them, so never tried one out).

Our Honda has a lot of miles on it and the only problems I've had are with the tires wearing out too soon.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #17
newt2
Mouseketeer

I have a Dodge Caravan and it's the worst car I've ever owned. In the first 100,000 miles I've had to replace the engine twice and the transmission once.

Considering the Town and Country is the same car, I'd avoid that too.

My folks have a Honda Odyssey and that's been a great vehicle. It cost more than my caravan but after you factor in all the repairs I could have bought the Honda and taken my wife to Hawaii.

I'll never buy another Chrysler product again and might never buy American again because of my van.
newt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #18
pooh4evr
Mouseketeer
In STL we drink soda and eat barbecue, use realators, eat sherbert, and drive on rout farty far

We have had a Toyota Sienna for just over a yr now (so it's a 2011) and LOVE IT! We had a Mazda MPV before, the sienna is huge compared. There is som much leg room, the kids in the back have lots of room... We also drove everything, Dodge, Chrysler, Honda, Volkswagen, ....we thought about going the used route, but settled on a new because of the warranties, financing, and dealer benefits (oil changes, maintanence, car washes, roadside assistance). In laws have had Chrysler / Dodge since I have known them (15 years) and continue to buy them despite numerous problems they seem to always have.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #19
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

Well, Mopar is not really an "American" car company any more. They have been majority owned by Daimler-Benz (Mercedes) and currently with Fiat.

Both companies are not known for their product reliability. The only way to get worse cars is to merge with Land-rover.
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #20
RaySharpton
DIS Veteran

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOHsie View Post
Ray, I read that the Grand Voyager is 1/2" closer to the ground than previously. That probably means the T&C, too. Don't know about the VW. That reduction might not help your situation.

RaySharpton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #21
RaySharpton
DIS Veteran

Thanks. I don't need much space since it is just myself, but I plan on putting a mobility scooter lift in the rear space where the third row seats would go. I do not want to give up the second row seats. And the rear door entry has to be wide enough and tall enough and deep enough for the mobility lift to electronicly come out the rear of the vehicle onto the ground. Then I drive my mobility scooter on the platform. Then it electronically retracts back into the vehicle safely stored inside away from theft, rain, etc.

It is rather change that instead of looking for my favorite next vehicle, I must look for three different things that all fit together to meet my criteria.

One is a vehicle. Two is a mobility lift that will fit inside the vehicle. And third is a mobility scooter that will fit on the mobility lift and the inside dimensions of the vehicle.

Actually, fourth, I would like a very reliable, comfortable vehicle to, since this might be my very last purchase in my lifetime.

I presently have my own scooter that I keep in my Nissan Maxima 1989 that can be taken apart. But the past couple of years, I have not been able to use it because I lose my balance and fall down lifting out the heaviest part of the mobility scooter's motor weighing 48 lbs. It used to be cool. But now I am not able to handle the loading and unloading everytime that I want to go somewhere.

I love WDW because I only take it out once and just use the WDW transportation instead of taking it in and out of the trunk several times a day.

Now I leave on a dead end street with a steeper hill, and I require a larger motor mobility scooter with a larger battery to power a larger motor to help get to the top of the hill.

This is my situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthuruscg View Post
If you don't need as much space, check out the Mazda5. It is a smaller minivan (size of the old box shaped Caravans)

RaySharpton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #22
your friend
Mouseketeer

Well thanks for all of the information. Looks like I am going back to the drawing board.

Trips
Pop Century: Nov. 2011
Boardwalk Inn: Nov. 2013
your friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #23
RN2003AZ
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthuruscg View Post
Just don't try and use the 2011+ Explorers off road. They are now made on a modified D3 platform called the D4 and no longer based on a truck platform. D3 platforms are Ford's fullsized cars. So, think of the Explore as a jacked up Taurus wagon. Similar how Subaru changes the Legacy into an Outback.

It is just like how the Windstar V platform was based on the D186 Taurus platform.
Wouldn't even think to off road it! I need the 4wd for the gross New England winters and getting up the hill we live on. It's my mom mobile, and an occasional tow of a trailer. I love the way it handles and drives. Couldn't be happier!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #24
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySharpton
Thanks. I don't need much space since it is just myself, but I plan on putting a mobility scooter lift in the rear space where the third row seats would go. I do not want to give up the second row seats. And the rear door entry has to be wide enough and tall enough and deep enough for the mobility lift to electronicly come out the rear of the vehicle onto the ground. Then I drive my mobility scooter on the platform. Then it electronically retracts back into the vehicle safely stored inside away from theft, rain, etc.

It is rather change that instead of looking for my favorite next vehicle, I must look for three different things that all fit together to meet my criteria.

One is a vehicle. Two is a mobility lift that will fit inside the vehicle. And third is a mobility scooter that will fit on the mobility lift and the inside dimensions of the vehicle.

Actually, fourth, I would like a very reliable, comfortable vehicle to, since this might be my very last purchase in my lifetime.

I presently have my own scooter that I keep in my Nissan Maxima 1989 that can be taken apart. But the past couple of years, I have not been able to use it because I lose my balance and fall down lifting out the heaviest part of the mobility scooter's motor weighing 48 lbs. It used to be cool. But now I am not able to handle the loading and unloading everytime that I want to go somewhere.

I love WDW because I only take it out once and just use the WDW transportation instead of taking it in and out of the trunk several times a day.

Now I leave on a dead end street with a steeper hill, and I require a larger motor mobility scooter with a larger battery to power a larger motor to help get to the top of the hill.

This is my situation.
Check out the Honda Element. The seats sit lower.
With minivans, the "stow and go" seats have forced the floor of the van higher to have the space. So while the ride height looks low the floor will be higher. The element has a lower floor and should have the space to bolt the lift in.

The mazda5 might still work, but the rear seats would have to be removed to have a stable surface to bolt to.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #25
gator75
DIS Veteran

We have 2 chrysler town and country they have beeen nothing but a joy to own and drive. Our 2007 had 15,000 miles on it when we bought it and our 2009 came from the factory and neither one has had any problems. They are room and fit 5 grown adults very well.
gator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #26
arminnie
Tossed the butter kept the gin
I had to save it for "special" occasions (like when no one I knew would see me)

I've heard so many horror stories about the Chrysler products (and I grew up in Detroit and have family that worked at Chrysler) that I'd never get a used one.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #27
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

My aunt and I bought our vans the same year, 2004. She got the Dodge, I got the Honda.

In the long haul, her dodge had cost her thousands more than mine Honda. She has had transmission replaced, major engine issues, major body issues, amongst many other problems.

I almost cheaped out back in 2004, glad I did not.
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #28
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator75
We have 2 chrysler town and country they have beeen nothing but a joy to own and drive. Our 2007 had 15,000 miles on it when we bought it and our 2009 came from the factory and neither one has had any problems. They are room and fit 5 grown adults very well.
15k, has only had 3 oil changes. Let us know how many electrical issues you have when you have 100k miles on it.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #29
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

We had a 1997 Caravan... it had some electrical issues. The radio worked occasionally, the turn signals worked most of the time, and the wipers worked at will. Seriously, they would come on at random. Of course this van had about 150k on it while this stuff was going on. It never had any major repairs, but it was surely due some. It leaked all sorts of stuff. It made a big mess in our driveway, and anywhere you parked for that matter. My DH was constantly pouring stuff in it to try to stop the oil leak. Eventually it started leaking antifreeze something awful too.

That being said, I really liked the van, I wish we still had it.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #30
uscgmouse
Mouseketeer

I bought a 2007 Honda Odyssey about 6 months ago and LOVE it. I went from a Yukon to the van and I wouldn't go back if I could. We looked at a lot of the vans and the Honda is really one of the only ones that keep thier value. I would suggest doing some online research on the vans you are thinking of. See what people complain about, recalls things like that. Just make sure you get the best deal for your money.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: