Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
Marie9LPG
Earning My Ears

Help with 2013 vacation (East Coast)

Looking for some advice for next years holiday as my head is in a spin with too many options! Travelling as a family 2 adults, 2 kids(girls 14&10)

We fly into Boston on 6/29 & out of JFK 7/14. Other than the flights all I have booked is our New York hotel for the last four nights.

We are thinking of staying in Boston for the first 4 nights, do you think this is about right? Looking at Back Bay area(I Think)
Plan to then collect a car & this is where things start to confuse me.
Do we spend a week in Cape Cod, and if so do we do one or more resorts?
Do we head further north into Maine?
Do we head west to Niagara Falls & if so where do we stopover?

See what I mean

Sorry for the ramble but my brain has turned to mush.
Marie
Marie9LPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie9LPG View Post
Looking for some advice for next years holiday as my head is in a spin with too many options! Travelling as a family 2 adults, 2 kids(girls 14&10)

We fly into Boston on 6/29 & out of JFK 7/14. Other than the flights all I have booked is our New York hotel for the last four nights.

We are thinking of staying in Boston for the first 4 nights, do you think this is about right? Looking at Back Bay area(I Think)
Plan to then collect a car & this is where things start to confuse me.
Do we spend a week in Cape Cod, and if so do we do one or more resorts?
Do we head further north into Maine?
Do we head west to Niagara Falls & if so where do we stopover?

See what I mean

Sorry for the ramble but my brain has turned to mush.
Marie
Have you been to the northeast before?
What do you like to do on holiday? More relaxing (beaches) or active (sightseeing)?
What's a ballpark budget? Economy, moderate, once in a lifetime?
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
lwake
Mouseketeer

Hi: I live in Maine. I've been to Boston and I think that 4 days in Boston is a bit much. I think that I'd do no more than two full days there unless there is something specific you plan to see. Maine has a most beautiful coastline. If you are renting a car then you may want to head north onto Route 1. There is a lot to do in the coastal towns. I'd research Maine a little more to see what your options are. You can sea kayak, cruise a schooner ride, and ride bikes along the Carriage Trails in Bar Harbor. It looks like you have plenty of time so if you only touch the Southern coastline of Maine you can still get to Niagara Falls, which are spectacular. You're other option is to get a map of the region which you will be in. Then pinpoint the "must see/do" spots. I really think that if you do this, then you can set your course. Good luck and have fun!
lwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
lizabu
DIS Veteran

I see you're coming all the way from Ireland. Niagara Falls is one of the great wonders of the world. You should try to see it if you can. I think you may have too much time in Boston too. It seems like it would be easier to fly into someplace like Buffalo NY and start there. Move on to Boston. Then do some of the coastal cities you will like to see best and end up in NY city.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
Rylee
DIS Veteran

Are your flights already booked?

You will be zig zagging back and forth if you go from Boston to Niagara Falls to New York, although Niagara Falls is definitely worth seeing.

Boston to Niagara Falls is about an 8 hour drive. You will past through Albany, (NYS capital) and through the Finger Lakes.

Love both, Maine & Cape Cod.

Maine - Perkins Cove area? Acadia National Park?

&

Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
Marie9LPG
Earning My Ears

Thanks guys.
Flights are already booked so limited in a way.
Think I'll look at cutting down to three nights in Boston which will leave us two full days there.

Fancy a couple of days at the beach, recommendations for somewhere not too crowded would be welcome. I saw pictures of Ogunquit & panicked, can't stand a busy beach!!

Think Southern Maine then across to Niagara may be a good idea, would need a stopover in each direction I think.

Have a map & guide book already, just need to get stuck into the planning. What isn't helping is that we're off to Chicago in a few weeks so trying to sort that out too!

Thanks again, Marie
Marie9LPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

It's 5 hours from Boston to NY. I'll go against the crowd and vote a more coasty kind of trip.

Do 3 days in Boston. ( I love Boston and could easily fill 3 days there. Red sox game, Fanuil Hall, North End, Science Museum, duck tours.

Then head out to the cape. I like Chatham but it's pricey. There are plenty of less expensive alternatives. I would spend a couple days at the beach.

Drive down to the Groton/mystic area spend a night or two, aquarium and seaport are nice.

Then head down to Mohonk Mountain House! Gorgeous right on a beautiful lake. The hotel is so nice( expensive so I would only only do a day or two here it's all inclussive)

http://www.mohonk.com/

Then head to NYC.

Just wanted to give you another alternative way. Niagra is fun but it does take you way out of the way.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
Lionqueen2
DIS Veteran

You could also consider driving from Boston south to Cape Cod stopping at Plymouth on the way. Then, you could head west through Conneticut with possible stops at Mystic and coastal beaches. Then, you could consider a stop in Philadelphia and Pennsylania before heading to New York.

The drive to Niagra is a long one from Boston and not much to see along the way. I would eliminate that from my itinerary and possibly substitute some of the beautiful natural beauty stops in upper eastern New York if that is what you are looking for on your vacation.

If you really want to do Niagra, then possibly a route eliminating Cape Cod or Maine and heading directly west would work. You could then head back through Pennsylania and Philadelphia to New York.

Also, I don't know how much experience you've had driving in Boston or New York, but these are my two least favorite cities to drive. Traffic is insane and Boston's streets and traffic patterns are very confusing even for locals.
Lionqueen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

And parking in Boston at hotels is around $50 a night! I would try to rent the car at the end of the Boston stay. Public transportation is great in Boston. You can easily take a T from the airport to your hotel.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #10
rigs32
DIS Veteran

If you drive across NY I-90 is not the most scenic route. One place to stop is the Finger Lakes. Dozens of wineries, beautiful scenery, lots of B&Bs. Google finger lakes wine trail. You'll see maps and suggestions.

In the Niagara area, I always recommend the carousel museum. Small but really nice.
rigs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
Kimberle
WL Vet

If you can be in NYC on July 4th, Macy's puts on the most amazing fireworks show.

http://manhattan.about.com/od/events...julyfourth.htm
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #12
crazyme5kids
DIS Veteran

Yes, see Niagara Falls. Take the Maid of the Mist boat ride. It sounds like you'll be traveling in a triangle direction, heading to Niagara Falls across NY, I suggest Cooperstown for the Baseball Hall of fame, a very neat interesting museum and Luray Cavern.
crazyme5kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #13
henrylarry6
Earning My Ears

Just a quick note regarding info about Massachusetts: Check out Mass Vacation's website, which has more than enough information about MA if you are worried about not having enough to do in the state. I think four days is sufficient and remember that people spend a lifetime on the Cape! Also, I'm sure the other states you are visiting have similar websites that outline things to do in those particular states.
henrylarry6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #14
abdmom
DIS Veteran

The best viewing of Niagara Falls is from the Canadian side. I would even start from Toronto - plenty to see here - and then Niagara Falls - NYC - Boston. I've made the trip many times from Toronto to Boston. Toronto is 1 1/2 hours from Niagara Falls. I've done the complete Toronto to Boston drive in 7 hours (not including stops). You don't need a stopover.

The beaches on the east coast will be very crowded at that time of year. Driving from Boston to Cape Cod can take a very long time.
abdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #15
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

I vote for going up the coast to Maine.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: