Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #1
CeCeGarrett
Mouseketeer

Comletely absurd and daft question- Boatswain Turtle Farm

So, I know my DD would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see sea turtles.. and admittedly so would I (clapping like a toddler with a cookie when I think about it.) BUT, DD (7) is super sensitive when it comes to animals and I am a wee bit concerned that during the tour, the guide might talk about raising the sweet cousins of Crush for meat. She would be horrified.

I know I must sound like a total goofball. Any experience with the tour will be super helpful. Thanks!
CeCeGarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

We did not get a tour, just a speech before we went over and the rest was self guided... No talk of food!
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14DCL Magic May '14 DCL Dream August '14 DCL Fantasy Jan '15
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
mammacaryn
Don't be a JERK!

We went on our own, self guided, like the other poster said. Nice hands on self guided tour. With that being said though, you need to be aware they are just in big round tanks. Not pretty set up to look like their natural enviornment or natural. Just big round above ground swimming pool type tanks with the turtles separated by size. So you may have to do some explaining....We told our kids what it was about, and they did ok with it-they may not be as sensitive as your daughter thougn.

January 2009 Disney Wonder-Bahamas
March 2010 Disney Magic-Western Caribbean
March 2011 Disney Dream-Bahamas

mammacaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
luvdamouse91
DIS Veteran

We did the tour a few years back - yes they did discuss turtles raised for consumption and at the end they take your towards a restaurant that is serving turtle soup.

I would recommend going, but not doing the tour if your DD will be sensitive to that.

DCL (Wonder): 1/2000 (Bahamas), WBPC 5/2015
DCL (Magic): 1/2003 (E), 12/2007 (W),5/2009 (W),9/2010 (WBTA), 9/2012 (NY-CAN),11/2013, WBTA 2014
DCL (Dream): 5/2011 (B2B), 12/2011, 11/2014
DCL (Fantasy): 12/2012 (W)
HAL (DVC/Alaska/Zuiderdam): 5/2004
RCL (Serenade): 10/2011
luvdamouse91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:03 AM   #5
yvonneh
Mouseketeer

Personally, I wouldn't go. I think it's sad, and yes it is just these round tanks. My 7 year old daughter, who is VERY sensitive to animals would think it was sad too. She was too young to understand when we were there. My sister was really upset when we went (she is a vegetarian). I would recommend Stingray City. It is much nicer to see sea life in their natural environment. That is just my opinion.
Whatever you decide I hope you have a wonderful time!
Celebrity Infinity Western Caribbean 11/07
Disney Magic Western Caribbean 10/08
Celebrity Solstice Western Caribbean 09/09
Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 04/10
Celebrity Eclipse Eastern Caribbean 12/11
Disney Dream Bahamas 10/12

Disney Dream Countdown!! 12/09/12
yvonneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

Obviously it is up to you. They do serve turtle soup & turtle empanadas in the cafe. On our tour there was no mention of consumption that I recall. If you want to go, it may be possible to ask your tour guide to hold off on this part to the end and the gracefully exit before this discussion, but there is no guarantee that DD won't hear about this. I too was very excited about this excursion and was a bit disappointed in the tank area, however, the snorkeling area was great.

DH & I snorkeled all the way to the back and were swimming with about 10 turtles at one time. DH did get freaked out when he saw a shark as he hadn't listened to my warning that there was a glass wall between the turtle snorkeling area and the shark tank and that you could snorkel right up to the wall.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
kristinfly2
Mouseketeer

It's a great question! I was thinking about the same thing! I really hope they don't mention eating them while we are there!
kristinfly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
kelis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeCeGarrett View Post
So, I know my DD would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see sea turtles.. and admittedly so would I (clapping like a toddler with a cookie when I think about it.) BUT, DD (7) is super sensitive when it comes to animals and I am a wee bit concerned that during the tour, the guide might talk about raising the sweet cousins of Crush for meat. She would be horrified.

I know I must sound like a total goofball. Any experience with the tour will be super helpful. Thanks!

This post, the wording of it....why am I not surprised?!?! But in all seriousness, I would feel bad for little A if they talked about eating turtles. That's terrible. I mean, I know it's done but to discuss this on a tour with children...well, that's just....not right, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdamouse91 View Post
We did the tour a few years back - yes they did discuss turtles raised for consumption and at the end they take your towards a restaurant that is serving turtle soup.

I would recommend going, but not doing the tour if your DD will be sensitive to that.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonneh
Personally, I wouldn't go. I think it's sad, and yes it is just these round tanks. My 7 year old daughter, who is VERY sensitive to animals would think it was sad too. She was too young to understand when we were there. My sister was really upset when we went (she is a vegetarian). I would recommend Stingray City. It is much nicer to see sea life in their natural environment. That is just my opinion.
Whatever you decide I hope you have a wonderful time!
As a vegan, I'm taking DS to stingray city rather than the dolphin swims precisely because I'd get depressed. Thanks for the warning about the turtles.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
Weedy
DIS Veteran

It's a Turtle "Farm". When my son was about 9 we went and he was very upset. And he is not a drama kid.
Here in a photo from 2006 of my daughter. No pictures of my son he would no hold a turtle. Note the big tanks in the background. There are lots of turtles in these tanks with their little flippers sticking out of the water.

Last edited by Weedy; 10-04-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
Kae
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinfly2 View Post
It's a great question! I was thinking about the same thing! I really hope they don't mention eating them while we are there!
Our guide did talk about it but he explained the % of turtles are are used for consuption & why it protects the Turtles in the Wild. The only turtle meat that can legally be consumed on the island is from the farm.

Now he also explained how many are released how many stay & such. It was a great tour

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
mammacaryn
Don't be a JERK!

It's pretty much like a fish hatchery would be here (which some of us have went to on school field trips, at least I have) if you added a gift shop, bar and grill, and a place to swim if you want.

January 2009 Disney Wonder-Bahamas
March 2010 Disney Magic-Western Caribbean
March 2011 Disney Dream-Bahamas

mammacaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:52 AM   #13
CeCeGarrett
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the input, Y'all! I think we will skip this... The $ I'll save, I can take her suvi shopping.
CeCeGarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:03 AM   #14
sambycat
DIS Veteran

Probably wise! I'm on the sensitive side of things that way and I wouldn't want yo give my money to a "fill in the blank" animal farm or touristy display of animals if I can at all avoid it.

We saw very cool sea turtles swimming freely on our eastern Caribbean cruise last August and it was amazing!

Enjoy your cruise!

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: