Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #16
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

The Candlelight Processional causes in-park traffic issues, but it only occurs 2 nights, so EVERYONE interested has to see it in this tiny window.

But 20 nights makes 40 performances...didn't it used to be 4? So (barring rain) that's 36 extra performances. They could cut the viewing area in half (routing traffic accordingly) and still allow 5 times more people to see the performance.

That's not to say that Disney will reduce the viewing area substantially, or at all, but I'd be a bit surprised if they didn't make some effort to improve traffic flow problems, given the number of days. Though I imagine the "processional" aspect will still cause some problems.

IF they are able to fix the traffic flow, then hopefully those who aren't interested in the Processional can (hopefully) take advantage of reduced lines throughout Disneyland.
Eeee-va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:02 AM   #17
disneegrl4eva
now we just need a secret handshake or sign...
...because I'm special like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimaroo View Post
Okay, this gives me hope again that perhaps our final night at DL, which is December 1st, won't be so bad/busy, because the first 2 nights are "invite only". I am ALL for invite only if it means the parks won't be insane due to CP, haha.
ah but who are these invited guests??? Media? Celebrities???? I still feel that regardless whether they are "invites only", we are still going to see a high number of park attendees...especially if its on MS....they cant block out people from viewing it...they may mean the invited guests get to sit down where others can stand around other areas of MS and watch as best they can...so either way CROWDED CROWDED CROWDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
But aren't they putting that theater to use again? The thing I remember reading said early '13, but isnt' it possible they'll use it pre-princess for this?

Because frankly having CP right there on Main Street for 20 days is going to be a huge pain in the patootie. Especially for those of us with absolutely no interest in the subject matter.

The whole invite-only mention makes it sound like it'll be held in a place where they can control entry (of course they can control entry to the parks, but you know what I mean), so I can't help but wonder if it'll be changing areas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
The Candlelight Processional causes in-park traffic issues, but it only occurs 2 nights, so EVERYONE interested has to see it in this tiny window.

But 20 nights makes 40 performances...didn't it used to be 4? So (barring rain) that's 36 extra performances. They could cut the viewing area in half (routing traffic accordingly) and still allow 5 times more people to see the performance.

That's not to say that Disney will reduce the viewing area substantially, or at all, but I'd be a bit surprised if they didn't make some effort to improve traffic flow problems, given the number of days. Though I imagine the "processional" aspect will still cause some problems.

IF they are able to fix the traffic flow, then hopefully those who aren't interested in the Processional can (hopefully) take advantage of reduced lines throughout Disneyland.
yes, but the operative word is how??? Bumbershoot, I was reading a bunch of the comments from the Disney Blog that was done by the social media manager Erin Glover and she specifically said that it was definitely going to be on Main St...so again...with it being there, how can they control and improve the traffic flow??? Especially because during the CLP dates, chances are there will be 1 parade per day and people start coming to line up for it around 2ish or so..couple that with parade crowds and its going to be a catastrophe.......unless..................they have the waiting area outside the park and they lead them over say half an hour before it starts??? Then it might not be so bad...use one entrance for people to come in with a CM in front and walk through????
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #18
Royal Consort
And I thought a Park Hopper was just a Kangaroo in a native reserve.

I'm a bit concerned. We did our research and this seemed to be the quietest week and arranged our entire holiday to the States around this and the week after Thanksgiving at Disney World. Nothing can be done but if I hadn't yet booked internal flights around the US, we'd move Disneyland to the week before Thanksgiving.

It's great for those who want to see CP. We have nil interest in it but I am hopeful it won't be TOO crowded. :S
Old 08-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #19
Niebz
DIS Veteran

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this. I just heard about it today and I can't imagine how it's possibly going to work. We went to the Candlelight Processional last year in December and we knew it was going to be crazy so we planned an entire day around it and were lucky to have an okay view. Loved it but would never want to endure that craziness every single night of a trip. The viewing area is very small so it gets really competitive for a spot (again - we spent our whole day waiting on Main Street for just an okay standing view).

Main Street basically shuts down completely for the entire evening. That means no evening Christmas parade (which is so much better at night), no tree lighting ceremony, and no taking in the nighttime decorations, music, and snow on Main Street because you won't be able to get anywhere near that area without waiting for hours in one spot or being shuffled into the extremely crowded walkways of people trying to enter and exit the park. That's another problem - exiting and entering the park takes forever when this is going on (we had to stand at the entrance for 20 minutes in a crowd of people before we were allowed to move and after that it was another 20 minutes to make our way down the street). Accessing the stores for evening browsing is impossible. Lining up for fireworks, again, a disaster. I really think this will be terrible. I won't be planning anymore Disneyland in December trips if this continues because I wouldn't want to deal with this headache every night of my vacation.

Last edited by Niebz; 08-23-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Niebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #20
BryANDJessMom
Mouseketeer

Any update on this? My annual passes aren't activated until next week, so I can't see info online...
Old 09-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #21
MrsPinup
3 cups. cups, cups, cups, cups, cups

I may have to book a trip in December to see this!

MrsPinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #22
jkh1978
DIS Veteran

Is there information on the AP page that hasn't been said on the Disney parks blog?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #23
LisainCalifornia
DIS Veteran

I am an Annual Passholder, and will be there during this time frame--but haven't found the information on the passholder website yet.

I will be going if they offer dining options or tickets!
LisainCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #24
hollyshoffbrau
Earning My Ears

Since it is invite....You don't think they will do it outside of normal operating hours a la halloween party do you?

That would be the only way I could see that they could have less crazy crowds.
hollyshoffbrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #25
yupikgal
DIS Veteran

I just spoke with Disney, and clarified a few things. The first day that it is open to AP holders and the gen. public is 12/3. It sounds like you have to purchase a dinner pkg now to be able to get in, and so I'm hoping that this in addition to the fact that they extended it to 20 performances will cut down on the congestion and waiting time.

I'm so excited, it sounds like it will be a wonderful thing! She said the pkgs won't be available to book until next month sometime. I've never seen the castle all lit up or the overlay of HM, so that will be so much fun!! The last time I was there during the holidays was in Nov. 1999. California Adventure wasn't even there! I've been since then, just not during the holidays. We normally go at the end of May/June.
DL, CA, DD Feb 23-26, 2012 Paradise Pier!!
Going back to DL & Southern California! 5/26-6/10, 2011
Anaheim/Disneyland/Las Vegas! May 21-June 3, 2010
Disneyland, California Adventure (Anaheim) San Diego August 8-12, 13-16, 2009
Disneyworld, D Wonder & Universal Studios: Oct. 2003
Polynesian Resort, Royal Pacific Resort
Disneyland: November 1999
Disneyworld: October 1994

yupikgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #26
disney4cam
Mouseketeer

If it's not open to the public on 12/1 and 12/2, how is it set up? Do they block off main street and only allow the invited guests in? Or is the whole park off-limits. I'm curious, because we are there 12/1, and I want to know what to expect, especially if we won't have access to the park.
disney4cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #27
RainyDayPixie
Mouseketeer

I'm interested in hearing about 12/1 and 12/2 as well. I'm in LA for a conference that ends Friday and am contemplating a day or two in the parks. Definitely won't be worth my while if one of them closes early....

Currently planning:
November 21-22 Quick trip!

Many trips since 1980s. Most recent:
April 2014- Anaheim Plaza
April 2013- Grand Californian (Work conference)
February 2012- Grand Californian
December 2010- Fairfield Inn
RainyDayPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #28
hollyshoffbrau
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupikgal View Post
I just spoke with Disney, and clarified a few things. The first day that it is open to AP holders and the gen. public is 12/3. It sounds like you have to purchase a dinner pkg now to be able to get in, and so I'm hoping that this in addition to the fact that they extended it to 20 performances will cut down on the congestion and waiting time.

I'm so excited, it sounds like it will be a wonderful thing! She said the pkgs won't be available to book until next month sometime. I've never seen the castle all lit up or the overlay of HM, so that will be so much fun!! The last time I was there during the holidays was in Nov. 1999. California Adventure wasn't even there! I've been since then, just not during the holidays. We normally go at the end of May/June.
Thanks for the info!
hollyshoffbrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #29
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

I'm reading these posts, and am wondering if they are going to put the Candlelight Processional back at the Fantasyland Theater for these performances. There is no way they can restrict it if it's on Main Street in front of the train station, unless they are only talking about the reserved seating section.

I'm just thinking of the logistics for the evening holiday parade, and other things that happen on Main Street for so many days.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #30
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Disneyland Correspondent for The DIS UnpluggedI'll try to pop in later
Doh! Yeah, that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney4cam
If it's not open to the public on 12/1 and 12/2, how is it set up? Do they block off main street and only allow the invited guests in? Or is the whole park off-limits. I'm curious, because we are there 12/1, and I want to know what to expect, especially if we won't have access to the park.
I'm guessing that they mean any seating will be only for VIPs on those two days. I'm sure they won't be closing the park early (though stranger things have happened).
ImTooExcitedToSleep is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: