Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #91
AdamRos19
Earning My Ears

I think Belle and rapunzel are the biggest flops. Belles hair is really the biggest mistake which I would assume in other merchandise may look a little more subtle. And rapunzel was made out to definitely look the youngest, but even more awkward then she appeared in tangled. If you compare the artwork of all of the princesses They bridged the gap (or atleast attempted to) between cartoon and animation to have a uniform merchandise and marketing platform. As I said before and has been said after me, the artists point is to better animate and draw on features of the princesses and this newer art style is common.

Think of the evolution of a tattoo art (very different from the WW days)
AdamRos19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #92
Abharmagic
DIS Veteran

Hate me if you want.... I kind of like the changes. I think the people who love to always say that "Walt is rolling over in his grave" need to remember Mickey, Minnie, etc have all had makeovers (not just the terrible Neiman Marcus- or whomever recently did those ones) since his death- multiple times. Does Mickey still look like "Steamboat Willie" or like he did on opening day of Disneyland, or even like he looked in the 1980s? Embrace the new, like it or not, the times they are a change'n.
April 2013
Next Trip- Labor Day 2014- SeaWorld- Aquatica- Legoland- MNSSHP- Can't wait!

Last edited by Abharmagic; 10-05-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Abharmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #93
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

We saw the changes in real life today in a local shop. I said to my 7 YO brother, 'Look- Disney have changed Cinderella- doesn't she look worse?'

He proceeded to tell me 'No, Meggie, she looks cooler. I wouldn't mind dating her.'

Phhhh!

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #94
Pollyanna Poppins
DIS Veteran

I must agree that Belle looks as though she endured one too many plastic surgeons. I honestly did not recognize her. What is this new sickly obsession that stick figure skinny is attractive (or healthy) on everyone? Disney needs to take a few giant steps backwards and reassess why people LOVE Disney. I don't bring my family to Disney to follow a trend. It is where we go to enjoy a CHILD like environment of innocence and magic. Next Mother Goose will look like Olive Oil for the sake of political correctness. The beauty of the classics as someone posted earlier is they are timeless. We enjoy escaping from the world on our vacation not finding out Minnie now strangely resembles Cher.
Pollyanna Poppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #95
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Manday
This is unfortunately true... I've heard the new design will hit the parks on October 20th or around that date. I've been told that the new dress is gorgeous, but the hair leaves much to be desired. Sigh. Why can't we leave the timeless things alone? Cinderella does not need to look like Barbie.
Noo! I'm going after this. Bleh.
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #96
t_daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow624
From a guy with a little daughter here, I am not a fan. i do not like the overly sexualized new look of the princesses to begin with, but it strays much too far from the originals.

I will say, I have been a BIG fan of how the TV show "Once Upon a Time" has portrayed the princesses so far. Aside from Cinderella (which is understandable), all of the others have been very "normal" looking and relatable so far (Snow White, Belle, Aurora, Mulan).
I agree!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #97
t_daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynightrose
Personally, I think a lot of people are blowing this out of proportion.

I took a look at the pictures on the DisneyStore website, and a majority of the makeovers to the characters was addition of sparkles and patterns to their dresses. As a graphic designer, I see why this was done. It adds more interest and attracts the eye to the character as a whole, ultimately adding to revenue.

As far as the facial and hair makeovers, most of the characters haven't changed. However, the worst change by far was Belle. Adding the amount of hair they did detracts from her dress, which, until Tiana arrived, was the most intricate of the princess dresses (not that I'm saying it's not anymore, its just not the only one). Yes they did alter Cinderella's facial structure and hair a little bit, but overall it did not detract from identifying her as Cinerella, which was very important. Actually I found her features a little sharp in various pieces of art and I think the new look softens some of those features. I'm glad they redid Ariel's bangs a bit, I always found her bangs overlarge on her small face. They look proportionate now.

People on here have talked about the over-addition of make up which I don't seem to see. I see a little blush on their cheeks, but that hasn't changed from their past iterations. The other things people are blasting about are their sexualized positions, hips thrusting out and such and the only Character that seems to have the position is Jasmine, which is a position the she has stood in since the movies came out. I found her body unreallistically disproportionate since Aladdin was released (although that didn't stop me from being her for Halloween when I was 8).

Overall, the important thing is that they have not changed the princesses enough to make them less identifiable. As long as they are still identifiable as a brand, they are still guarenteed to bring in merchandise revenue.

Blast me if you like, but I'm just sharing some opinions and views from my view as a graphic designer (with a little bit of makreting thrown in there).
I don't know. To me, it does seem like face shape/ features have changed . Hair, especially.

A few , like Poca, hardly changed.

I didn't really go the sexualized route, honestly. They don't seem overly sexy, imo.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #98
ghoweywilson
Earning My Ears

Calm down people.

Though I'm not a fan of the new facial changes the costume changes are really not that radical. Oh no Cinderella's dress is bluer, people are really canceling there vacations over that? Seriously?

If your young daughters minds immediately jump to sex because of the way a cartoon stands then maybe you need to have a conversation with them.
ghoweywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #99
rantnnravin
Whaddya mean there's no room in the suitcase? YOU CAN LAND A PLANE IN THERE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoweywilson View Post
Calm down people.

Though I'm not a fan of the new facial changes the costume changes are really not that radical. Oh no Cinderella's dress is bluer, people are really canceling there vacations over that? Seriously?

If your young daughters minds immediately jump to sex because of the way a cartoon stands then maybe you need to have a conversation with them.
it's not that the child's mind will "jump to sex" it's the fact that the changes make certain looks and behaviors seem acceptable. Unfortunately, because our culture is so overly sexualized to begin with, many people "don't see anything wrong with it". Try putting your daughter's face in the place of one of these characters and maybe, just maybe, you'll get the point. I don't want my child to be able to point to a Disney princess - a character extolled for her virtues - and point to her clothes or the way she pouts or tosses a coy look over her shoulder and think that it's "ok" because Belle is doing it. The Disney princesses are one of a small bastion of wholesomeness that moms of little girls have (had) left.

rantnnravin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #100
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

i'm in the minority i guess - i don't see what the big deal is.

Cindy always had fake lashes lipstick and a choker

the hair is a little different and the choker is sparkly now but what's the big deal? she looks like she's created by pixar now but i like pixar

my 7 year old didn't think twice when i showed her. she just thought she put on a sparkly dress.

if anything they made her even paler

Old

New

Kurby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #101
ghoweywilson
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantnnravin

it's not that the child's mind will "jump to sex" it's the fact that the changes make certain looks and behaviors seem acceptable. Unfortunately, because our culture is so overly sexualized to begin with, many people "don't see anything wrong with it". Try putting your daughter's face in the place of one of these characters and maybe, just maybe, you'll get the point. I don't want my child to be able to point to a Disney princess - a character extolled for her virtues - and point to her clothes or the way she pouts or tosses a coy look over her shoulder and think that it's "ok" because Belle is doing it. The Disney princesses are one of a small bastion of wholesomeness that moms of little girls have (had) left.
I totally understand and agree if you were talking about a Bratz doll but I fail to see these things you're describing in the new Disney princess dolls.

Belle's always been posed looking over her shoulder. I personally don't associate her wearing more makeup now as her asking for sex. Same goes for the new costumes. I don't see how they are provocative in the least. Princesses have long been associated with makeup anyways do the majority of guests not go have their daughters 'made over' makeup and all at the BBB every trip? Disney means it to be fun not sexual. Our adult minds are making these things sexual not our childrens.

Though I'm not a fan of Belle's crazy long hair or Cinderella's new side bangs and bun Disney needed to modernize their princesses or risk having youth think of them as old and outdated down the line. I work at a daycare and the sad reality is a lot of girls don't care about the older disney princesses anymore. They're dated and unrelatable. If changing a princesses dress makes her as important to my daughter as they are to me that's awesome. This does not change the princesses individual morals and values. I can assure you Aurora won't be hitting on your husbands on your next trip to Disney.
ghoweywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #102
Lucky626
Earning My Ears

I gave my girlfriend some Cinderella themed gifts for her birthday last week including the new blu-ray movie. Well I got the gift bag from Walmart featuring the new Cinderella and she definitely noticed the difference right away but she said she didn't mind it. She thought it was done well and she's not a big fan of change like the new Strawberry Shortcake she doesn't like. She hasn't seen the new Belle though and that's her favorite character so I don't think that will go over as well.
Lucky626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #103
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

To me, the new Cinderella looks like she's had some sort of plastic surgery. The face is thinner, angular, the cheeks are actually very pushed in.

I just don't see the need to change them It's not like they're not already raking in millions or more into Disney. Why change them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurby View Post

the hair is a little different and the choker is sparkly now but what's the big deal? she looks like she's created by pixar now but i like pixar

my 7 year old didn't think twice when i showed her. she just thought she put on a sparkly dress.

if anything they made her even paler

Old

New

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #104
bwang123

Because the old Cinderella was drawn decades ago and they are appealing to younger children with a new style. They also changed the Sesame Street theme song too.

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #105
BiancaBernard&Penny
Returning to "Earning My Ears" after all these years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurby

the hair is a little different and the choker is sparkly now but what's the big deal?

Old

New
May I say I'm relieved that they changed that thing on her head. It's not where a headband should be. It covers her ears completely. Was it head phones? It doesn't look remotely like anything worn in any historical era. I always thought it looked like someone screwed a ribbon around her head to the area in front of her ears ?? I like the new earring and headband set.

CBR- Sept 1997
CBR- Sept 17-24, 2001
CSR- May 13-20, 2008 ptr- http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2166836

Debating on a trip this year with 4 year old "Penny" and a 12 year old, too!
BiancaBernard&Penny is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: