Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
DL Widget Head
Earning My Ears

Question Ticket Upgrade Question - Biggest Bang for Our Buck and question about CF's guide

After reading through CF's guide to ticket upgrading, I realized I had a question regarding the following area:

Quote:
18-C Saving money on Upgrades to Annual Passes

It is possible to save a fair amount of money when buying Annual Passes if you have purchased your tickets in advance from an authorized ticket reseller. Generally these tickets are sold at a discount from the Current Gate Price (CGP) of the ticket.

(Please note carefully that the pricing chart in 18-A above does not include the 6.5% sales tax added to all tickets. Some resellers include the tax in their posted price; others add the tax at checkout.)

Step one - Look at the price for the ticket you want to end up with.
Step two - Look for the ticket from the reseller with the best discount from Gate.
Step three - Look at the chart and determine which ticket comes closest to the price of the ticket from Step One, but is not higher that that ticket.
Step four - Buy the ticket from the reseller which has the greatest discount from CGP but does not have a CGP value greater than the ticket you are ending up with.
So above and beyond the best discount, if I buy a ticket from UT, am I aiming to stay below the gate price of the ticket I want to upgrade to or aiming to stay below gate price PLUS tax of the ticket I want to upgrade to.

For my case, I want to upgrade to AP's. I'm thinking about buying an 8 day PH & NE option from UT which would be bridged to $607.05 ($570.00 plus $37.05 in tax) once it's used at a turnstile. Would I pay $4.00 plus $0.26 in tax for the upgrade or would I have actually overpaid since my ticket would be bridged to $607.05 to include taxes and would then become worth more than the cost of the AP at $574.00 (not including taxes)?

I hope my question makes sense. I'm trying to really understand the workings here and get my biggest savings without finding out I overpaid when I upgrade.

Many thanks.

“It's kind of fun to do the impossible.”
DL Widget Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

You want the ticket with the largest discount that does not go over the Disney cost (plus tax) of the ticket you want to upgrade to. This is NOT necessarily the ticket closet in price.

Looking at UT prices, that seems to be your best ticket to purchase.
Reddog1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
DL Widget Head
Earning My Ears

That's what I had calculated as well. (I'm an engineer so I tend to over analyze EVERYTHING and had a spreadsheet built with all my options to basically make my decision for me.)

One more thing, while I have your "virtual" ear. I'm also going to be purchasing and upgrading tickets for my two sons as well (ages 6 and 4). The numbers look like I would be exactly even by purchasing an 8-day PH, NE, and WP which would bridge to $611.31 including tax which is cost of an AP plus tax ($574.00 plus $37.31 in tax).

Would there be an issue if my wife and I are upgrading from the 8-day PH with NE and my two children upgrade from these tickets (8-day PH, NE, and WP) since they seem to be a better option when comparing child ticket prices to the single AP ticket price? I tend to think each ticket is treated as a separate transaction so there wouldn't be any issue there but I want to make sure.

Also, so long as they haven't used any of the water park option to the ticket, my understanding is that they could upgrade to the "normal" AP and not be forced into the PAP. Is that correct?

“It's kind of fun to do the impossible.”
DL Widget Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL Widget Head View Post
1- I'm also going to be purchasing and upgrading tickets for my two sons as well (ages 6 and 4). The numbers look like I would be exactly even by purchasing an 8-day PH, NE, and WP which would bridge to $611.31 including tax which is cost of an AP plus tax ($574.00 plus $37.31 in tax).

2- Would there be an issue if my wife and I are upgrading from the 8-day PH with NE and my two children upgrade from these tickets (8-day PH, NE, and WP) since they seem to be a better option when comparing child ticket prices to the single AP ticket price?

3- I tend to think each ticket is treated as a separate transaction so there wouldn't be any issue there but I want to make sure.

4- Also, so long as they haven't used any of the water park option to the ticket, my understanding is that they could upgrade to the "normal" AP and not be forced into the PAP. Is that correct?
1- That's fine.
2- No problem.
3- That's correct.
4- Yes.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

I don't think there would be any issue upgrading multiple tickets with different entitlements.

You are correct, using a WPM entitlement restricts you from upgrading to a standard AP. But if no entitlements have been used, you can upgrade to either one.
Reddog1134 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: