Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #16
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
At 14, I think it's reasonable for you to meet the other parents. I also think it would be good if the moms got to confer, even if it's only under the guise of talking about pictures.
As they get older, they'll get better about communicating expectations to each other.

I have two sons, but here are some of my experiences. I've sure it varies geographically.

Often the kids go as a group. If she can ask him if they are with a group, then she can talk to the other girls and compare notes.

Often the kids that go in groups, especially younger kids who don't drive, do a meal at someone in their group's house. Parents generally confer at that point, offering to the host "what can I bring?" and often being invited over for picture taking at drop off. (then the other parents leave, leaving the host parent to serve the meal to the kids. The parents usually stay in the kitchen while the kids eat formally - sometimes a sibling is enlisted as the "server.") Parents compare notes for transportation.

Older kids that drive themselves and are going to restaurants sometimes go as a group to another location for pictures. We have waterfront, so there are some parks between town and the school that are popular choices. If the weather is good, kids and parents with cameras converge for group shots.

I don't see an issue with meeting the parents. Any of dd's "dates" have been with one or the other set of parents either driving the group or feeding the group or hosting the group (in which case parents had to drive their kids to the host's house). And in all that, the parents usually make a quick call to each other to make sure we are all on the same page.

We don't have a formal homecoming dance, just a regular dance and very few take dates, so can't really say what to expect. But at 14, I don't think that meeting the parents is too much to do.

I do find it interesting how many posters think 13 is too young to "date" and 14 is too old for the parents to discuss said "date"? hmmm. curious.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #17
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Cute dress. Exactly the type of thing girls wear to school dances here.
Expect the shoes to come off ten minutes into the dance.
Girls don't usually do hair appointments, etc. for casual dances here -- that's just for prom.

Here, dinner is not always a part of a dance date, but our school tends to serve heavy h'orderves -- and I think that's a little unusual. Older teens, who can drive, tend to go out to dinner in groups before school dances. A "just us two" dinner is uncommon unless it's a long-time, established couple.

Few kids have flowers for any dance except prom.

I would not go to meet the parents ahead of time, but since they're driving the kids to the dance, I would invite them over for dinner (or maybe just dessert, depending upon your thoughts) on the evening of the dance. At the very minimum, I would expect the date to come in and speak to you when he picks her up.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: