Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
heartsy77
New BCV DVC owner!

Teen Xmas Ideas

At this point I usually have a list and have 1/2 bought by now!
We are off to WDW and this is causing me further delay!

I just don't know what to get my girls 16 & 13! They have Iphones and kindles; at this point I only have 1 thing in mind: custom designed otterbox for the phones!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Kitzka
DIS Veteran

My DD is 14 and it is defintely hard to know what to get for them. One thing I am getting DD is "expereinces" over stuff. She will have some stuff to open (mostly clothes) but I also got her tickets to a concert and a vouvher (that I made) for an item from the show.

not sure what else but would love to see what others are thinking as well.

Lara
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

i know how you feel, OP. DD15 already has everything she wants and needs - nook, smartphone, mp3 player, tv and dvd player, digital camera and computer. i don't know what we could possibly get for her. she'll need some clothes, but her great-grandmother will probably buy those. she plays clarinet in the marching band and is going to NOLA at the end of the year to march in the sugar bowl on january 2nd, so DH and i are toying with the possibility of buying her a new clarinet. she needs one; but, if we did that, it would be so expensive, it would have to be her only gift, and it makes me want to cry to think of one, sad-looking gift under the Christmas tree.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
princesspwrhr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsy77 View Post
custom designed otterbox for the phones!
The lifeproof cases are FAR superior to the Otterbox cases. They are more durable, less clunky and don't come off as easy. Plus they are completely waterproof to a certain point. www.lifeproof.com

My 14yo has had hers for a year and a half and it's pretty dinged up, but the phone is still safe. I can't say that for her very short experience with an otterbox Defender. Properly installed it fell out of her pocket while running down the street and the motion of jostling out of her pocket pulled the rubber off the top and side enough that when it hit the ground the case split open exposing her phone and breaking one of the clips that holds the front and back together. Her phone has suffered many of the same falls with the lifeproof and the only damage are some dings on the case. (side note - WHY are the pockets on girls shorts & pants so shallow?)

Anyways - dd14 is getting a new color lifeproof and the bike mount. Her 1st edition nook that she dearly loves has died. She's getting a new simple touch and cover. And that's all. Her two sisters are each getting an iTouch and lifeproof case. That's it. That's stretching what we can afford to the top end of the budget, but they are gifts that will be well liked and used often and for a long time so I'll make it happen.

I second the idea of experiences. Last year my oldest got tickets to see Cirque. That was her only gift. Well, she did get a program also. So if there's anything coming to your area soon that your daughters would like, why not wrap up some tickets? For this age in an era where kids in general already have more than what they need in tangible items, experiences are a great alternative and create more memories than things.

I think the key is to think about your own kids and what they really like and get what they like regardless of what is popular or how many things it ends up.
princesspwrhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

That is a tough age to buy for I bet! In addition to the custom phone case idea (which they will LOVE), girls that age usually love gift cards...either iTunes, movie theater, or their favorite clothing stores.

Here are a few actual gift ideas that you can wrap:
-Watch
-Diamond stud earrings (I got a pair when I was around 12. I'm now 28 and still wear them daily unless I wear matching earrings to a necklace)...there are amazing sales on diamond studs around Christmastime so they are very affordable
-Digital camera or Flip Video (I think that's what it's called)
-Hair accessories
-Hair styling tools: high quality flat iron or curling iron
-Makeup brushes: high quality set
-High quality eyeshadows
-Lip gloss
-Nail polish set
-DVD/Blu-Ray
-Docking station for iPod if they have one
-Clothes
-"Gift Certificate" for Room Makeover
-New comforter or room accessories
-Professional photo session with their friends

Hopefully those ideas will get the ball rolling for you!

Me-29: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

My 16 y/o's laptop just died, so I will probably be getting her that for Xmas this year (hopefully I can find a good Black Friday deal!)

Other ideas I had were concert tickets, AE clothes and cash for a car

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
bearloch
DIS Veteran

Im in a even worse spot mine is 13 she wants concert tickets and a I phone i can swing the phone but not the monthly bill ugh!! a she wears uniforms to school so she really doesn't need clothes other than a concert t!

thinking of looing for a cheap phone plan maybe just wed and text with a few mins as she usually mostly texts

I also have considered park tickets o seaworld as we live in Tampa but that seems like a lot with nothingto actually use o christmas

unless I get phone !!!!

WDW1986
Disneyland 1998
Disneyland 1999
WDW 2003
BAck First time @ Fort 12 /2007

Moved closer to Mickey June 2011:dance
CSR June 2012
bearloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

It's not a big thing, but for a long time I have gotten my girls each a Christmas ornament that reflects their interests at the time. When they are out on their own, they will have several for their own tree that will remind them of the things they love(d). Last year I got their favorite animals- panda and tiger. Favorite characters, etc. My coup was when I found S'mores Lewis & Clark & Sacagewea ornaments for my girl that is into Lewis & Clark.

DD14 just had a birthday and she got:
an extreme dot-to-dot book (pretty challenging)
a green screen for special effects in iMovie projects
a Genesis compound bow
Dover coloring books designed for adult level coloring
beef jerky
a cool Delia's tee
Extremely Goofy Movie DVD

Kind of an oddball collection, but things she will like! Perhaps she is not a typical teen...but maybe some other girls would like the same things. I also like to just browse Amazon for gift ideas I never would have thought of on my own.

Oh, speaking of that, I also got her Wreck This Journal by Keri Smith and bought her BFF and my DD11 This is Not a Book also by Keri Smith. They are fun and creative. We also have Finish This Book but the other two would be better choices for teen girls.
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD15 DD13

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:18 AM   #9
emer95
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjscheel View Post
It's not a big thing, but for a long time I have gotten my girls each a Christmas ornament that reflects their interests at the time. When they are out on their own, they will have several for their own tree that will remind them of the things they love(d). Last year I got their favorite animals- panda and tiger. Favorite characters, etc. My coup was when I found S'mores Lewis & Clark & Sacagewea ornaments for my girl that is into Lewis & Clark.

DD14 just had a birthday and she got:
an extreme dot-to-dot book (pretty challenging)
a green screen for special effects in iMovie projects
a Genesis compound bow
Dover coloring books designed for adult level coloring
beef jerky
a cool Delia's tee
Extremely Goofy Movie DVD

Kind of an oddball collection, but things she will like! Perhaps she is not a typical teen...but maybe some other girls would like the same things. I also like to just browse Amazon for gift ideas I never would have thought of on my own.

Oh, speaking of that, I also got her Wreck This Journal by Keri Smith and bought her BFF and my DD11 This is Not a Book also by Keri Smith. They are fun and creative. We also have Finish This Book but the other two would be better choices for teen girls.
I love how creative these ideas are! I have two girls, 12 and 13. I think they'd like a lot of the things you've listed. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 10-05-2012, 05:31 AM   #10
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

For teen girls, what about a subscription to their favourite magazine?

Love the ideas of concert tickets, movie tickets, iTunes cards, etc.....they are always winners (with boys or girls).

A gift certificate for a photo session with their friends (suggested by a PP) is also a fantastic idea.

What about some "pampering" gifts? Gift certificates for a manicure, pedicure, facial.....or maybe for highlights and a great haircut at an upscale salon? (somewhere they wouldn't normally get to go regularly)

A new digital camera? You could couple that with a nice digital frame.

Or maybe look outside of the box, instead of getting "stuff", get them an experience. A weekend away skiing, maybe a couple of nights over Christmas break at Great Wolf Lodge, etc. Allow them to each bring a friend to really make it special.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! Visit my trip report in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
Sheaboys
DIS Veteran

DS14 really wants a smartphone and a laptop. While we can afford both and the monthly bill on the phone, I am not giving in and getting those. He has a phone, he does not need access to the internet with it. I have a laptop he uses for homework and internet, plus we have a desktop too.

With 5 boys, if I give into one at a specific age, I have to do for all at that age, so I keep it real so to speak. Like ds1 received an IPod for the christmas he was 12, so will ds2, which is this christmas.

But mostly, they will be getting ski clothing, as everyone of them have grown so much. The older 3 need clothing and equipment. They will get gift cards for skiing, amazon (they older 3 have Kindle fires), and Itunes.

Regular clothes for school as usual.

Our August 2012 Free Dining Review. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2990330

Mom to 5 little boys
WDW-various days during the 70's and 80's as a child. DisneyLand-July 1991, DisneyWorld-April 1992 offsite
Caribbean Beach-June 1995 honeymoon, All Stars Sports-December 1998, All Star Movies- November 2000 (me, my mom and the 2 boys) DTD Hotel - May 2001, All Star Movies-September 2001 (me, the 2 boys and my girlfriend), Disneyland-December 2003 (us and the 3 boys), POR-October 2nd-8th 2005 (us and the 3 boys)Caribbean Beach-August 25, 2012-September 2,2012
POR-August 2014 (16th-26th)

(dh43) (me 43) (16)(14)(12)(8) (5)
Sheaboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
scottmel
Does my logic in my original question make sense
I need to see it in a new light I guess

I got a super cute hot pink mini fridge for DD13. I am glad I got it when I did I figured they would be gone with dorm rooms, etc. and they are. I got 1D concert tix, minecraft lego set and nail dryer so far. She loves the Chicken Soup for the soul series so got another of those...She is in a private school so no read NEED for clothes and I did get her an iphone last month b/ac of the crazy cheap specials they had on them - FREE 4s for trading in her itouch. Can't beat that....! She is an only child so I don't go by gift count but I try to have a nice little pile without going too crazy. Though the older they get the smaller the wrapped packages!!!
DP
scottmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
ctinct
DIS Veteran

How about a Clarisonic?
ctinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #14
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

This year my dd is getting a smartphone and a year of service as her big gift. She is also getting
a ski boot bag and ski pants.
Hunger Games movie and a couple companion books
Katy Perry perfume
SIMS game
All Time Low Tee
Just got the Wreck Me Journal that was mentioned in the other thread
She'll get an Amazon GC, new make-up, nail polish, shampoo, a couple Ts and earbuds in her stocking
We have a tradition that on Christmas Eve the kids get a new pair of PJs and an ornament to hang on the tree. Like the pp, I get them something that reflects their interests. This year I'm going to try to find an ornament that has to do with photography.

Are your girls into designer clothes and accessories? I don't just go out and buy that kind of stuff for my dd, but I think its a nice surprise for Christmas.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #15
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

my son is now 18 & freshman in college. He & the other two boys have written to the North Pole every year & every year they get a letter back from the North Pole. "Santa" has given him an iphone, laptop, amazon gift card, xbox360, skateboard, and itunes gift cards. this year maybe it will be the digital camera, one that he can record videos with. being away, it will be nice for him to start to capture some memories.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: