Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #196
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfanatic316 View Post
I will be flying into MCO on Oct. 13th on AT, scheduled landing is at 6:13 pm. My DM and DU will be flying in on a separate flight a few hours before me, and checking into AoA. We're renting a car but my DM will be using ME because the car is only in my name and she's not interested in driving. I am considering using ME for my checked bag only, because I'm hoping to make it to the resort faster, and also I'm a little worried about handling my checked bag, my carry-on bag, and my purse. But, I'm kind of worried that if my flight is late, or there are problems with my bag, that it will be lost because we're only staying one night at AoA before moving to BCV. Basically I'm looking for opinions/reassurance that using ME for my luggage only will work. Opinions?

Thanks!
If there are enough yellow luggage tags, then go ahead and tag your checked bag. As long as you are all at the same resort it shouldn't be an issue. But in all reality?? If you arrive, ontime, at 6:13, you won't get to your resort until about 8pm...then your bag may not arrive in your room until 11ish...could be earlier. I would leave my checked bag untagged, and get it at baggage claim and bring it with me. I mean, you're handling it all at your departure airport, right?? That way, you'll have it with you, rather than having to wait for it, or worry about it.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #197
wahoowa
Earning My Ears

Checking in but not riding

Would it help at all if you got off the plane, went down to DME and checked in and told them the number of bags you had checked, and then walk out to get on the bus, keep walking over to the parking deck and get into a rental car? By help, I mean add a level of insurance all your bags get there. I like on one thread how they mention writing 1 of 4 bags on all the tags.
wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #198
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoowa View Post
Would it help at all if you got off the plane, went down to DME and checked in and told them the number of bags you had checked, and then walk out to get on the bus, keep walking over to the parking deck and get into a rental car? By help, I mean add a level of insurance all your bags get there. I like on one thread how they mention writing 1 of 4 bags on all the tags.
The problem is that you are stuck in a queue while you wait for the DME bus you have no intention of getting on. It is roped off, with someone standing there, waiting to let you out. By the time they let you out you may have well just gone and picked up your bags from the luggage carousel.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #199
SplashMountainRules
Mouseketeer

We did Luggage only and drove a rental car this past week. Simple and worked fine. We got to the resort, checked in, drove to Downtown Disney for dinner, and when we got back to our room our luggage was there.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #200
Dreamer2012
Mouseketeer

Can you send the luggage off to your resort and you go somewhere lse before you go ck in at your resort? We would like to send our bags to POR, but we would like to go directly to Coranado Springs for the Expo - then return to POR and ck in - is that allowed? Thanks!
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #201
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2012 View Post
Can you send the luggage off to your resort and you go somewhere lse before you go ck in at your resort? We would like to send our bags to POR, but we would like to go directly to Coranado Springs for the Expo - then return to POR and ck in - is that allowed? Thanks!
I assume that you will have a car? If so, sure. As long as you realize the things that could possibly go wrong by sending tagged bags with DME without riding the bus.
Also, your bags can take up to 3 hrs after resort checkin to get to your room. You may find yourself waiting a long time for your bags. If you do have a car, I would just not tag the bags and take them with you. Yes, it means spending 15 mins at baggage claim but it may be worth it in the long run.

If you were planning on riding the bus to CSR and then go to POR? Nope. As of right now, it is very uncommon for a guest to be allowed on a bus to a resort that they are not staying at. You are supposed to take the bus to the resort you will be checking into.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #202
Dreamer2012
Mouseketeer

Thanks Goofy4tink - I was just trying to save some time...thinking we would get to the expo early and then ck in at POR. We do not have a car we were just thinking we could ride to Coronado and our bags could be dropped off at POR, but we will follow the rules and ride the bus to POR then head over to Coronado for the Expo. I really appreciate your help. Can I both you once more? We are planning on going to MK for my Birthday dinner on our departure day. Our ADR is for 4pm at BOG - so we were told to send our bags ME and then take a cab to MCO so that we could have more time to enjoy our dinner. Is that correct information? If so What time should we leave the Park to catch our 9:30 pm flight? Where should we have the cab pick us up? Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #203
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2012 View Post
Thanks Goofy4tink - I was just trying to save some time...thinking we would get to the expo early and then ck in at POR. We do not have a car we were just thinking we could ride to Coronado and our bags could be dropped off at POR, but we will follow the rules and ride the bus to POR then head over to Coronado for the Expo. I really appreciate your help. Can I both you once more? We are planning on going to MK for my Birthday dinner on our departure day. Our ADR is for 4pm at BOG - so we were told to send our bags ME and then take a cab to MCO so that we could have more time to enjoy our dinner. Is that correct information? If so What time should we leave the Park to catch our 9:30 pm flight? Where should we have the cab pick us up? Thanks again.
Glad you are doing the right thing upon arrival. I would recommend checking in at POR then taking a cab over to CSR...that will save you a lot of time.

As far as your departure, you will check your bags in at the RAC counter that morning..do that before you head out to the parks. The counter opens at 5am. Then, if you have carryon bags that are smallish, you can take them to MK with you and rent a locker.
DME would pick you up, at POR, around 6:30ish. With a 4pm ADR at BoG, I can see why you would be concerned with return to MCO. It will most likely be 5:30ish by the time you're done with your dinner, then you would have to leave MK right away and go right to POR to be at the bus stop no later than 6:10-6:15 (15 mins prior to the time you are given for pickup). That's kind of close.
So, if you decide to stay at MK...you can have a cab pick you up at 7ish. I would walk over to the CR to do this though. If you went to the TTC, you would have to either monorail or ferry, which takes time. The walk is under 10 mins. If you get a cab by 7, you would be at MCO by 7:30...plenty of time for a 9:30 flight.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #204
Dreamer2012
Mouseketeer

Thanks again Goofy4tink! I really appreciate your help. I think we will follow your suggestions...Is that the "standard" you need to be at the airport 2 hours before your flight? Also if a towncar would be less expensive to MCO - do you have one you reccommend?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #205
RnbwSktles
DIS Veteran

My DH is super paranoid about stuff (and I even agree for the most part) so I think we would both feel a little better if we get to actually see that our luggage arrived at MCO safely. Can we grab our bags from baggage claim and bring them to the DME desk to have loaded on the bus? If so, do you then just grab your bags when you get off the bus at your hotel and proceed to check-in with them?

I am also thinking that an added benefit here could be having the option of pulling extra items out of the luggage if we arrive and realize it's much hotter/colder than anticipated.

I have never stayed on property before and had no idea the DME worked this way!
Old 02-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #206
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnbwSktles View Post
My DH is super paranoid about stuff (and I even agree for the most part) so I think we would both feel a little better if we get to actually see that our luggage arrived at MCO safely. Can we grab our bags from baggage claim and bring them to the DME desk to have loaded on the bus? If so, do you then just grab your bags when you get off the bus at your hotel and proceed to check-in with them?
Yes you can! Just don't put the yellow DME tags on your luggage. Go pick them up at the luggage carousel, and take them to your bus. The driver will store them under the bus, so a tip of a dollar or two per bag is customary.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #207
Dreamer2012
Mouseketeer

Here is how it worked...

Just thought it might be helpful to let everyone know how everything worked out..Arrival went fine and we did just go to the Expo when we got off the bus @ POR and when we got back our bags were in our rooms! The day we left which was the bigger discussion worked better than what we had expected. We had THE BEST DINNER @ BOG at 4pm ADR that there was NO WAY I was not going to - since it was My Birthday. We got over to the Contemporary at 7 am and they cked our carry on bags there and assured us we would be fine if we got a cab from there at 7 pm to make our 9:30 pm flight - so that was the plan...we had a great day at MK (despite the rain!) and loved BOG - made our way to CR and got our cked bags - just then the ME bus pulled up and they let us board! No taxi charge (would have been 65ish + tip) So I tipped the driver (Bruce $20!) I was so grateful to just get going! wE ARRIVED AND WENT THROUGH SECURITY VERY QUICKLY and ALL went great - so end of the story - you ARE allowed to take the ME bus to the airport from another resort - you just need your proof of service and they give you a boarding ticket. Everyone was wonderful! We had a fantastic trip (even the PHM was great when we crossed the finish line and got our medals!) Hope it works as well for anyone else who needs to do the same thing!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #208
msvlg
Mouseketeer

Help with Latest time to by pass baggage claim

My son's girlfriend's SW flight is scheduled to arrive at 9:50 pm. She has never been to Disney therefore she is not at all familiar with how magic express works. My question for her is, because her flight is arriving so late will she still be able to skip baggage claim or will she need to stop and pick up her luggage? she is meeting us down there so we will bring her carry on items with us,so she will have basics. Since she is new to how things operate in regard to ME I am hoping she can skip baggage claim and get to the resort sooner I just don't want to give her the wrong advice. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. TIA
msvlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #209
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Since the luggage pick-up service is only available until 10, I really doubt that the luggage from a flight arriving at 9:50 could be unloaded from the plane and sent down to the baggage area fast enough for DME to still be there to deal with them.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #210
msvlg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
Since the luggage pick-up service is only available until 10, I really doubt that the luggage from a flight arriving at 9:50 could be unloaded from the plane and sent down to the baggage area fast enough for DME to still be there to deal with them.
thank you for the feedback. I am wondering if she didn't pick it up at baggage claim that evening will they deliver to the resort in the mornin?
msvlg is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: