Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #16
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinkso View Post
Thanks! I've been a "cruise critic" since '05 and have already directed them there. I receive email updates from Mouse Savers and was just passing along info without wanting to actually research for them! Between the two "Boards" there is a lot of info to process - 7th cruise coming up and the first to the Caribbean!
We did the Fantasy Western in May. You're going to have a great time!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #17
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I've never heard of Junkanoo beach before.

Cable Beach and Cabbage Beach are both free beaches in Nassau....and I always mix them up in my mind. The closest is a 15 minute "adult" walk from the port area or a short taxi ride. By "adult" walk--it is too far for little kids, and possibly more than adults carrying beach stuff might want to do. It is clean. It is right at the end of the beaches that many of the hotels use.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #18
elainyaeq
Mouseketeer

wave phones?

probably a silly question, but i understand the wave phones work on the disney island CC, do the wave phones carry a signal in nassau? like if my DH wanted to meet up with us at the beach, could he call me using the wave phone?
Old 10-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #19
mammacaryn
Don't be a JERK!

CABBAGE beach is the one we have went to. Once on our honeymoon in 2002, and once with our kids in 2009 (they were 3 and 5 at the time).

It's a cab ride away, you will take one of the cabs headed to Atlantis-tell them you want Cabbage Beach and they will get you with others going there. Its about 4 Bucks per person EACH WAY. (they pack the cabs FULL)

They will let you out in pull around/drop off area that is near hotels, there is a path that goes down to the beach-don't worry you won't be alone, many tourists go to this beach.

When you are ready to head back, walk back up the path---there will be cabs waiting.

Its a very nice beach with a local feel. Local folks selling shirts and jewelry-if you are interested you can barter, if not tell them no thanks. They might come back just be polite and say no thanks again and they generally leave you alone.

There will also be locals renting chairs and umbrellas.

Locals also sell VERY strong rum drinks in coconuts. You can barter with them on this too

All that being said, I have walked the area right by the port, down to Senor Frogs and the straw market (before the new one was built)and back by myself with no fears. My husband and I walked around last year for a little bit and we were never approached or got any funny vibes from anyone.

January 2009 Disney Wonder-Bahamas
March 2010 Disney Magic-Western Caribbean
March 2011 Disney Dream-Bahamas

mammacaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #20
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammacaryn View Post
CABBAGE beach is the one we have went to. Once on our honeymoon in 2002, and once with our kids in 2009 (they were 3 and 5 at the time).

It's a cab ride away, you will take one of the cabs headed to Atlantis-tell them you want Cabbage Beach and they will get you with others going there. Its about 4 Bucks per person EACH WAY. (they pack the cabs FULL)

They will let you out in pull around/drop off area that is near hotels, there is a path that goes down to the beach-don't worry you won't be alone, many tourists go to this beach.

When you are ready to head back, walk back up the path---there will be cabs waiting.

Its a very nice beach with a local feel. Local folks selling shirts and jewelry-if you are interested you can barter, if not tell them no thanks. They might come back just be polite and say no thanks again and they generally leave you alone.

There will also be locals renting chairs and umbrellas.

Locals also sell VERY strong rum drinks in coconuts. You can barter with them on this too

All that being said, I have walked the area right by the port, down to Senor Frogs and the straw market (before the new one was built)and back by myself with no fears. My husband and I walked around last year for a little bit and we were never approached or got any funny vibes from anyone.
I like that Cabbage is close to Atlantis. Was reading a review on tripadvisor where someone walked over to Atlantis to eat lunch and walk through the caves.

Is the path to the beach easy for an elderly person? My 90 year old grandmother will be with us.

Jodie
pillow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #21
mammacaryn
Don't be a JERK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
I like that Cabbage is close to Atlantis. Was reading a review on tripadvisor where someone walked over to Atlantis to eat lunch and walk through the caves.

Is the path to the beach easy for an elderly person? My 90 year old grandmother will be with us.

Jodie
It goes through trees, so if I remember correctly there may have been some roots that stuck up through the sand. It might just take you a little longer than most to get her there I guess it depends on how able bodied she is to begin with.

I apologize that this is a photo of a photo, don't have access to a scanner at the moment. This is the top of the path, the part you walk down is to the left of the photo if I remember correctly:

Last edited by mammacaryn; 10-04-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 10-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #22
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammacaryn View Post
It goes through trees, so if I remember correctly there may have been some roots that stuck up through the sand. It might just take you a little longer than most to get her there I guess it depends on how able bodied she is to begin with.
Thank you. How long is the cab ride?
pillow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #23
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinwithmaandpa View Post
The public beach is not within walking distance. You will need to either take a water taxi or regular taxi to the Atlantis. The beach is a short walk from the Atlantis. We have been there many times with no problem.
Yes it is, Junkanoo is a free public beach and we walked there last October
We went there w/our 3 kids, ages 4, 9 and 12. Restrooms were clean and no one bothered us. (There's a small daquiri Hut and there was one lady selling necklaces.)
Here are some pix. and a goofy video I shot(shows a panorama of the beach area)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...chnassua-1.mp4
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...chnassua-1.mp4

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!

Last edited by loveysbydesign; 10-04-2012 at 03:25 PM.
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #24
mammacaryn
Don't be a JERK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
Thank you. How long is the cab ride?
15 minutes maybe

And CABBAGE beach you DO have to take a cab.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #25
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Also here is a map you can print of Nassua and take it with you! The British Colonial Hilton is #14, Junkanoo is right past there!
http://www.frommers.com/images/desti...nassauwalk.jpg The map!
http://www.frommers.com/destinations...251010008.html About the things on the map

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: