Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

Spinoff thread - what can/can't you do that defies gender stereotypes?

This was inspired by the multi-tasking thread. Unlike most women, I cannot multi-task at all. In addition, I am hopeless at the following:

Party planning
Decorating
Socializing, talking to people
Organizing
Cleaning
Cooking

If it weren't for the fact that I hate sports and love makeup, clothes and jewelry I think I'd have to turn in my girl card. Interestingly, on the Myers-Briggs test I am an INTP which is very unusual for a woman. That explains a lot, I guess.

What about you - what traits do you have that are uncharacteristic for your gender?

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
diesel
Mouseketeer

Most women have nice handwriting. Mine is like a third grade boys. I was always envious of girls who had that dainty handwriting.
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

I hate to shop. I especially hate trying on clothes. Oddly, I like clothes/fashion, but it's a huge chore for me to actually go out and try on new clothes and buy them.

I have a penchant for low brow humor. I love smart, witty humor just as much, but I love stupidity, too (think Adam Sandler or worse, LOL).
Music City Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music City Mama
I hate to shop. I especially hate trying on clothes. Oddly, I like clothes/fashion, but it's a huge chore for me to actually go out and try on new clothes and buy them.

I have a penchant for low brow humor. I love smart, witty humor just as much, but I love stupidity, too (think Adam Sandler or worse, LOL).
Same here.

I also love to cook but am not the best at it. I also really stink at styling my own hair. I can straighten it, scrunch it or put it in a ponytail but that's it.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimR View Post
What about you - what traits do you have that are uncharacteristic for your gender?
I'm a stay-at-home dad. By choice.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
brookmey
I may live in the south, but I bleed maize and blue

I can't cook and I hate doing it. I love to shop, but I'm not into clothes or makeup. I absolutely love college football and always sit with the guys when we're at football parties so I can actually watch the game.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

I am so not a girly girl. I can work on cars, repair the house and basically anything that is considered a "guy thing". I can cook, clean and run a household but I would hate to stay home all day.

This is me to a tee. http://www.personalitypage.com/ENTJ.html
Old 10-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel
Most women have nice handwriting. Mine is like a third grade boys. I was always envious of girls who had that dainty handwriting.
My hand writing is terrible, I had to fill out forms for my son's preschool and I was embarrassed!
Old 10-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

-Can't cook. Have no interest in cooking.
-No interest in make-up. (I love to shop, love fashion. But make-up simply does not interest me. I wear lipstick and that's it.)
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

My hand-writing is bad, and I just don't care about cleaning and "keeping" a home.

I'm not good at cooking but I enjoy it. I collect handbags and wear make-up daily.

The on thing I have ZERO talent in is decorating.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
kolohe_lady
Princess, nuthin'! I wanna be Queen!

Love sports. Hate shopping, especially for clothes. Makeup is pretty minimal. If a hair style takes longer than 5 minutes to accomplish, forget it except on the rarest of occasions. Cannot stand 99.5% of chick flicks or chick lit. Have never read, seen or have the slightest interest in Twilight or 50 Shades of Grey (Gray?). Not a fan of Valentine's Day, even though I'm in a happy, healthy relationship. More excited when I get new running shoes than 'girly' shoes. (With the exception of boots. I LOVE my boots. ) Always was hopelessly inept at flirting, (lucky for me, fiance was flirty enough for the both of us. ) Excited to get married, but absolutely DREADING planning the wedding.
kolohe_lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #12
apirateslifeforme
The Next Mrs. Simon LeBon
On a serious note, I have to agree with the pantyhose and buttfloss
Rare. Bloody rare. Still mooing

I also hate shopping for clothing. I call my style "13-year-old boy" - t-shirt, jeans (although I like them to fit, not hang halfway down my butt because they're 10 sizes too big) and Converse Chuck Taylor hi-tops.

When I do go shopping, it consists of doing one lap around the outer aisle and declaring "I don't see anything."

I also can't stand chick flicks. Give me a nice action or sci-fi movie any day.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
alex9179
DIS Veteran

I hate shopping for clothes, too. My husband had to badger me to go last time because most of my clothes had holes. Antique places, flea markets, and thrift stores are fun because I like decorating.

I'm the one that fixes things around the house and the tools are, mostly, mine. Plumbing, carpentry, etc. He'll put up light fixtures, but insists I help even though I bug him!
alex9179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #14
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

I'm another one who hates shopping. And I wouldn't wear makeup at all, except that I work in a school and I don't want to scare anyone. Oh, and I hate decorating. I do not have one single picture on the walls.

On the other hand, I can hitch my camper, tow it over the mountains, set it up and take it down. A lot of people think a woman can't do all that, but it's a piece of cake once you learn how.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
Cindy B
Have taken some furniture polish and sprayed it in the air, so it smells like I was cleaning
I have been known to eat cookies for dinner
Grew up on Stove Top Stuffing

I hate to shop. I'm not big on clothing, makeup or anything like that. I don't like jewelry either.

I like cars and some gadgets. One of my favorite presents from my husband was a new set of hubcaps for my car.
Cindy B is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: