Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
littlbugmom
DIS Veteran

Freaking out a little over no passport

My family of 4 applied for our passports months ago. Everyone got their passport except me. I called to check the status for 3 weeks in a row. Each time I called, they told me not to worry because it was being processed and I still had plenty of time.

3 days after my last phone call I got the letter that said my birth certificate wasn't acceptable. I called again and was told it was "probably" because my birth certificate didn't list my parents names. They instructed me to get a new one from the state I was born in and send it in. She gave me instructions on how to fill out the envelope to send it back.

I drove to Pennsylvania to get 2 new copies of my birth certificate that same day. That was 2 weeks ago.

We leave on the 15th and I still don't have a passport. I know I can get on the ship with my birth certificate and my driver's license but I'm obsessing over not having a passport!

2012 A week in the parks and then our first Disney cruise on the Dream!
2010 StoryTime Villa
2008 Sheraton Vistana Villages
2005 Old Key West Resort
littlbugmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
jrbdad
Mouseketeer

Good luck! If it helps, our family of five has cruised 3 times and we still don't have passports.
jrbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Good luck! Hopefully it will come through, but if not please don't stress so much that it ruins your vacation. You will not be the only person cruising with a drivers license and birth certificate (make sure you bring the right BC). The chances of an emergency situation occuring which would require your Passport (to fly home) are very slim. Thousands of people cruise every day with no issues.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
outahere

I don't recommend that everyone do this, but......

Several years ago we sent in all the paperwork to get DS a new passport. He already had one that was expiring, so we included that as well, to help speed up the process (so we thought). We originally sent everything in about 2 months before we needed the passport, and we were panicking when we got to within a week of leaving, and no passport. I contacted one of our U.S. state senators, talked with one his his aides, and "miraculously" it arrived overnight mail two days later.

If the lack of a passport has you that stressed out, you might want to give one of your senators a call, or send an email.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013 / November, 2014
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
TJHutch
Mouseketeer

I know how you feel, I was worried about not having my (renewed) passport. I kept telling my DH I can't relax until after we go through check-in. All I had was my birth certificate and drivers license and it was fine. Have a great cruise!

Read and post cruise reviews

TJHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Ikaikalani
Tee-Eye-double Guh-err

In my line of work we do a lot of expedition travel and passports/visa's are a constant chore for us. We use a passport/visa processing company to handle this for us. What they've told me in the past is that 1) you should always keep on top of the U.S. Passport offices while your passport is being processed (just as a precaution really), and 2) they process passports by the date the person needs to travel and NOT by the date they were received by the passport center. For this reason, when the office is very busy, many people don't receive their new passports until just before they leave. So I wouldn't WORRY, but I'd definitely stay on top of it.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaikalani View Post

. . . 2) they process passports by the date the person needs to travel and NOT by the date they were received by the passport center. For this reason, when the office is very busy, many people don't receive their new passports until just before they leave.
This happened to us.

On the last renewal, our passports arrived just days before the trip, even though we sent them in early.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Sorry that sounds stressful.

At the very least you'll have your passport for future trips and you'll have your bc and liscense.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #9
Alaska DogCat
Mouseketeer

I had a similar issue. An email to my Senator's office solved the problem in under a week.

Alaska DogCat
Homer, Alaska (4,928 miles from Mickey's House)

Next Disney Experience: Panama Canal cruise in December.
Alaska DogCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
Disneydreamer5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaikalani View Post
In my line of work we do a lot of expedition travel and passports/visa's are a constant chore for us. We use a passport/visa processing company to handle this for us. What they've told me in the past is that 1) you should always keep on top of the U.S. Passport offices while your passport is being processed (just as a precaution really), and 2) they process passports by the date the person needs to travel and NOT by the date they were received by the passport center. For this reason, when the office is very busy, many people don't receive their new passports until just before they leave. So I wouldn't WORRY, but I'd definitely stay on top of it.

So what if you are unsure of your travel dates? Like I plan to go sometime next year, anywhere between Feb and May so should I just pick the earliest date when appling for a passport so I get it sooner?
ASMov & DDP - 2005
CBR & Free DP - 2009
POR & DDP - 2010
Disneydreamer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneydreamer5 View Post

So what if you are unsure of your travel dates? Like I plan to go sometime next year, anywhere between Feb and May so should I just pick the earliest date when appling for a passport so I get it sooner?
Before just picking a date, I would take a close look at the passport application form to see if you have to sign under oath as to the accuracy of the information.

Woody
Old 10-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
Before just picking a date, I would take a close look at the passport application form to see if you have to sign under oath as to the accuracy of the information.

Woody
That line is optional to begin with. Like the PP, not everyone has a date set in stone.

I got my passport 9 months before my trip and I did put the date on the application. I got the passport less than 3 weeks later. My DH applied about 2 months after me and he also got his in about 3 weeks. I would not worry too much that they are shelving applications based on the date written on it.
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post

That line is optional to begin with. Like the PP, not everyone has a date set in stone.
If that's the case, I would leave the date blank.

Woody

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: