Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #16
Charitycase20
Mouseketeer

I guess my question to you would be why not? I've been camping (we're tenters too) with my little people since they were very small and I found that it was easier then than it is now! They weren't as vocal and mobile!

If you do decide to go, make sure you take a small heater, we use fleece blankets inbetween the air mattress and the sheets and warm jammies. Granted when we where at FW in January it was in the 80s. And if it gets too cold in your estimation for the baby, put he/she in the bed next to you...toasty warm for everyone.

Or if you can find some wiggle room in the budget, I have a contact that you can rent a pop-up from for $60 a night, the perfect compromise between a tent and a camper. www.fortcamperrental.com

Good luck!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #17
englishteacha
I've just gotten crazier over the years I've taught!

Camping is great, but if you're a novice, going all the way to Disney with a little baby might be a bit overwhelming. Why not stay at an offsite hotel or condo to save money? You can still do all the fun park things. Maybe bring the tent and stuff and do a night or two at FW, but spend most of the trip staying at a hotel or condo? I assume that if you're considering camping, you'd be driving anyway, so staying offsite wouldn't require a car rental and you wouldn't be using Magical Express from the airport anyway.

I have a 4 month old and we have taken her camping in the backyard, and to a summer camp as a family where we stayed in a cabin (she was only 6 weeks old at camp!). Both were great and lots of fun, but we're experienced campers so it was old hat for my husband and I. We just had to figure out how to get things done with a little baby there, too.

Wonderful trip to Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, and to see the shuttle launch: February 2011
Walt Disney World: June 2010, August 2007 (1 commando day), June 2006, June 2002
Chasing Roller Coasters: August 2007, 2005, 2004, 2002
englishteacha is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #18
gillenkl
DIS Veteran

I would consider a value with free dining over tent camping.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #19
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirenia88 View Post
Hello,

*sorry to the OP about hijacking their thread with a related off shoot.

Easy. My parent's motor home needs new tires and suspension which is a shame since my father really takes care of the it. Most people who ask him about it don't believe it's an 1989 chassis because the exterior and interior are well kept. This year my dad only drove the MH on real short trips using only lower speed roads. He feels the tires are too old to be at highway speed and they are showing signs of sidewall issues. The suspension is factory original. My father stated he would want to have than redone before going on such a long trip. The tires have not been replaced since 2000 which was just after their last long distance trip down to Myrtle Beach SC. However, next year is slated for the tires and suspension work.

My mother is a bookkeeper so she's good with numbers. She figured out mileage, fuel amounts, costs to bring the motor home up to long distance, roadworthy condition, it was going to be cheaper to drive down in the minivan and rent a trailer for the 1 1/2 weeks are going to be there. Added bonus would be having their minivan as transportation to other places besides the property itself. If they had drove their Class C down, we would not have been able to drive around for other attractions. My Ext cab pick up would not be able to carry all of us which would have facilitated a car rental. So it worked out better since there would be no car rental involved, repair work to the MH can be held off til next year, and better gas mileage. plus added bonus they have an entertainment center in their minivan so the DD will be super happy to watch Disney movies while chilling with the DGPs!
OK, I perfectly understand now - thought you meant just expenses for trip down.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #20
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Like most others have said, the weather here in central Florida is just to unpredictable in December to tent with an infant. There is not that much price difference between the value resorts and a campsite to make it worth the risk. And renting a camper would bring the cost higher than a room. If it were just the older child, I wouldn't hesitate.

I am a life long camper who has taken my kids and grandkids camping since birth, and I wouldn't do it. I have nearly 50 years of tent camping experience and would be uncomfortable with an infant in a tent in December. As your first tent camping experience, it could end up more of a nightmare than a vacation.

It's only the first of October here and it's already gotten chilly enough to cut the furnace on at night. It gets colder here than some people realize. Although you could use an electric heater in a tent, it's not always a great idea. If you do that, be sure to keep the heater away from tent walls and in the tallest part of the tent. The concentrated heat from a heater can ruin the tent fabric. It is also much harder to regulate the temperature in a tent.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation, whatever you decide.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #21
Tented1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charitycase20 View Post
I guess my question to you would be why not? I've been camping (we're tenters too) with my little people since they were very small and I found that it was easier then than it is now! They weren't as vocal and mobile!
I agree, I would rather camp with a baby before the crawling, toddling stage, it's also much easier if you are breast feeding.

WDW 1969 WDL 1985 CBR 2007
Tented1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: