DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #31
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighoo93 View Post
I can only speculate on why, I don't know for sure. The resort is the oldest in the DVC...
i think this is the answer. OKW is oldest (from a time when disney wasn't sure if timeshares would work) so the rooms tend to be the largest and the point requirements the lowest. (probably also why the studios are set up with 2 queen beds.)

i also wanted to add that mid-sept is definitely lower demand than december but as for "how tough sept is to book"...that's not when i travel (oct UY and all) so i'm not an expert. hopefully others will chime in...

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #32
Caren90
DIS Veteran

Beginning to middle of September is a good time to visit (although it can still be very hot). Once you hit the end of September the volume increase due to Food and Wine.

Stephen
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #33
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendow View Post
Wow, is it a tight fit for them? Or are those one bedrooms bigger? I was trying to look at room sizes but I don't remember how big the 1 br was.

I did notice the OKW 1 br would fit our family...at least until my youngest is 3...but there is only one bath. I don't think we'd survive with one bathroom for a week or longer Nice to hear the bus service is good!!
They seem perfectly happy in the 1br. Mom and 2 girls (10 and 5) in the king bed and the 2 boys (8 and 12) on the sofa bed in the LR.

I do think that they could have used the extra bathroom though.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #34
wendow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333disneymom View Post
My best advice is to look at the ROFR board to see the range of what properties are going for. Try to figure out how much you feel comfortable paying per point. Then, it just takes patience and a little bit of luck to get the right contract. Good luck.
Congrats on your purchase! I'm definitely going to be watching the ROFR board
Old 10-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #35
wendow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just like any real estate deal, it is almost expected that the offer comes in under the asking price. The seller can accept, decline or counter, of course.

OKW is the least expensive in terms of points, but actually not all that much less than SSR (239 vs. 217 for a week in a 2 BR). I can only speculate on why, I don't know for sure. The resort is the oldest in the DVC, but the rooms have all been renovated so they certainly don't seem old. To me, OKW is just a huge value considering the size of the rooms. But I should add that I have not stayed at any other DVC resorts yet.
I guess I just figured since you were getting such a deal buying resale already that people were not making offers. But it certainly makes sense that you could. There are a fair amount of contracts out there also so many people are probably willing to negotiate.

OKW does seem to be a great bargain. We don't mind old as long as things are in working order. I am excited to get to stay there and check it out.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #36
wendow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caren90 View Post
Beginning to middle of September is a good time to visit (although it can still be very hot). Once you hit the end of September the volume increase due to Food and Wine.

Stephen
We were there Sept 13-22. It was hot but not near as bad as I thought it was gonna be. Not sure if that time was normal hot for them or cooler or hotter or what but I'd be happy with that weather anytime
Old 10-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #37
wendow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
i think this is the answer. OKW is oldest (from a time when disney wasn't sure if timeshares would work) so the rooms tend to be the largest and the point requirements the lowest. (probably also why the studios are set up with 2 queen beds.)
This all makes sense. Just seems like with the bigger rooms and point requirements being less, people would be booking it up really quick.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #38
chalee94

Quote:
This all makes sense. Just seems like with the bigger rooms and point requirements being less, people would be booking it up really quick.
some do, but others are more like you...they want to be able to walk (BLT/BCV/BWV) or take a boat (VWL) to a park.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:29 AM   #39
wendow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
some do, but others are more like you...they want to be able to walk (BLT/BCV/BWV) or take a boat (VWL) to a park.
Very true Looking at the price difference though, I am warming up to the idea of not being able to walk to the park.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #40
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We were there Sept 13-22. It was hot but not near as bad as I thought it was gonna be. Not sure if that time was normal hot for them or cooler or hotter or what but I'd be happy with that weather anytime
We were there the same time. We showed up at MK on Tuesday just in time for the monsoon. And unbelievable lightning strikes right off Main Street that shook the building. We had to invest in $40 worth of WDW ponchos. But actually when the skies cleared a few hours later, we had free run of the park. On Thursday, I scheduled our DVC open house for an early afternoon break and it coincided perfectly with the rain! We thought the temps were great, but rain (and hurricane) is probably always a risk that time of year.
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #41
wendow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We were there the same time. We showed up at MK on Tuesday just in time for the monsoon. And unbelievable lightning strikes right off Main Street that shook the building. We had to invest in $40 worth of WDW ponchos. But actually when the skies cleared a few hours later, we had free run of the park. On Thursday, I scheduled our DVC open house for an early afternoon break and it coincided perfectly with the rain! We thought the temps were great, but rain (and hurricane) is probably always a risk that time of year.
Yes, we were at AK on Tuesday and wow, that lightening was crazy!! We had just sat down to lunch at Flame Tree BBQ and were under cover. We hung out there until it all settled down. Other than that one time, we were rarely in the parks during the rain. We got there at RD and went back to the room after lunch. When he headed back for dinner, it was usually sunny and nice again. So, for us, taking an afternoon break really worked out well. My dh was a bit disappointed with the rain but I knew to expect it...I've been to FL many times so I knew the drill. All-in-all, we thought the weather was great. Being from 'no humidity' CO, the moisture in the air actually felt somewhat refreshing to us Probably sounds nuts, I know!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #42
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub View Post
They seem perfectly happy in the 1br. Mom and 2 girls (10 and 5) in the king bed and the 2 boys (8 and 12) on the sofa bed in the LR.

I do think that they could have used the extra bathroom though.
DVC let you book a one bedroom villa with six people in it? That shouldn't have happened. One bedroom villas are limited to either five (four plus one because there are only four sleeping spaces) or five plus one under the age of three (five sleeping spaces - OKW, AKV, BLT)

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #43
chalee94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
DVC let you book a one bedroom villa with six people in it? That shouldn't have happened. One bedroom villas are limited to either five (four plus one because there are only four sleeping spaces) or five plus one under the age of three (five sleeping spaces - OKW, AKV, BLT)
i think it's just 5 people total.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #44
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
i think it's just 5 people total.
Yes, 1 adult and 4 kids. No problems.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #45
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub View Post
Yes, 1 adult and 4 kids. No problems.
Whew. I thought there was another adult in the room. I'm glad they are enjoying their stay.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: