Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

I talked to the folks at Walmart and was assured that the Proclaim uses Verizon. I checked a lot of zip codes in the areas where I will use the phone the most, and it showed as working on all of them.

The only issue that I found was that the guy at Walmart said that if the Verizon tower was swamped with calls, prepaid customers essentially went to the bottom of the list and might get kicked off. He said it wasn't something he had heard of happening very often.

I'm going to go with this phone, but my parents (who won't have smart phones) are going to use ATT phones. The nice thing is that if I'm not satisfied, I'm not going to be under contract!
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #17
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseshowmom View Post
I talked to the folks at Walmart and was assured that the Proclaim uses Verizon. I checked a lot of zip codes in the areas where I will use the phone the most, and it showed as working on all of them.

The only issue that I found was that the guy at Walmart said that if the Verizon tower was swamped with calls, prepaid customers essentially went to the bottom of the list and might get kicked off. He said it wasn't something he had heard of happening very often.
He's right -- I have never known that to happen, at all. I don't believe it works as a "priority" system anyway, since Tracfone buys all these minutes from the carriers at bulk pricing.

Quote:
I'm going to go with this phone, but my parents (who won't have smart phones) are going to use ATT phones. The nice thing is that if I'm not satisfied, I'm not going to be under contract!
And that's the beauty of the whole thing -- if you don't like it, you're not on the hook for two years (or a $150 early termination fee).

Enjoy!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #18
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2K View Post
And that's the beauty of the whole thing -- if you don't like it, you're not on the hook for two years (or a $150 early termination fee).

Enjoy!
You're not on the hook for two years or a $150 termination fee. You just paid $150-$180 for the phone. You probably could have gotten the equivalent, or better, phone for free with a contract.

Find out what the return policy is and make sure it suits your needs before it's up.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #19
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
You're not on the hook for two years or a $150 termination fee. You just paid $150-$180 for the phone. You probably could have gotten the equivalent, or better, phone for free with a contract.

Find out what the return policy is and make sure it suits your needs before it's up.
The site says that I have 30 days to return it which should give me plenty of time to make a decision.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #20
johde
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post

I've been on Prepaid most of the time for Cell Phone. And I'd agree that you need to compare what you're saving each month vs. what you are paying in a full price phone. I decided to buy a used AT&T phone to use with Straight Talk's new bring your own phone plan. http://www.straighttalksim.com/ . It works with GSM based phones (AT&T or T-Mobile).

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #21
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseshowmom View Post
The site says that I have 30 days to return it which should give me plenty of time to make a decision.
Exactly -- regardless of which way you are purchasing that phone (Straight Talk through their website/Walmart or Net 10 from HSN), the retailer's guarantee should be generous-enough just in case things don't work out.

As I said eariler in the thread, I own this phone, and I've done quite a bit with it, already and am yet to be disappointed with this $45 a month gem...
Old 09-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #22
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2K View Post
Exactly -- regardless of which way you are purchasing that phone (Straight Talk through their website/Walmart or Net 10 from HSN), the retailer's guarantee should be generous-enough just in case things don't work out.

As I said eariler in the thread, I own this phone, and I've done quite a bit with it, already and am yet to be disappointed with this $45 a month gem...
Yeah, I"m willing to pay for the Proclaim throught Straight Talk because it looks like exactly what I want - a good introductory level smart phone. I really like the talk to text feature too.

My parents, on the other hand, will be taking my phone and my daughter's phone and just getting the sim cards for them. Both phones are internet capable - just not smart phones - and they have qwerty keyboards. If for any reason, they aren't happy with these phones (and I think they will be), they can look into getting another option.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #23
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Update: The phone works great on the Verizon towers (works in places my ATT phone had dead spots) and is a really great phone for what I want. It's pretty easy to figure out (although I still have a lot to learn). The swype is wonderful, but talk to text is even better. I'm a very satisfied customer!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #24
RitaE
DIS Veteran

nice

I'm kind of in a long, slow process of getting all our phones out from under contracts at which point I'll decide what we want to do next. It's good to hear experiences.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: