Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #346
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
This was a beautiful day and pixiedust was abundant.

Thanks for all the wonderful photos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
What a magical day! A fabulous ending to your fabulous trip

Thank you for all the beautiful pictures
It really was an amazing day. I kind of had come around to the idea that Pixie Dust only ever happens to other people and I was truly OK with this as I am quite capable to make my own magic, but that day I had Pixie Dust by the bucket.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:51 PM   #347
DisneyPata
Trying to Earn My Ears

Corinna

I really enjoyed your days at the parks & hotels. Even though I get to go to the parks all the time & stay at least once a year at one of the hotels it was so great seeing things I miss. I love Steakhouse 55 - such a special restaurant. I will be sure and go slower & smell the roses (as they say) and of course think of you next time I am at the parks. Thank you for the great reports.

Joyce
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #348
JLSE50
DIS Veteran ** I am a post menopausal woman--my brain leaks. ** I'm allergic to idiots, I just decided.....

Thanks for sharing the wonderful details of your adventures and the Pixie Dust!!!

What is the story of the hanging garment in the Lilly Belle?

Jan

DL--6x; WDW x 26; Fort Wilderness - a lot; DVC Members since 2000; OKW x 7; DVC Vero Beach x 5; DVC Wilderness Villas x 2; DVC Hilton Head x 1; DVC Boardwalk x 2; DVC Beach Club x 1; DVC Saratoga Springs x 1; SS Tree House x 1; Bay Lake Towers x 2; DCL MAGIC x 8; DCL WONDER x 4; DCL DREAM x 3; DS#1 engaged to DG (Darling Girl) on the WONDER 9/4/06; WESTBOUND PANAMA CANAL 5/10/08 MAGIC; EASTERN CARIBBEAN FAMILY TRIP 9/12/09 MAGIC; TRANSATLANTIC 4/10/10 MAGIC; 5/15/11 DREAM; North to ALASKA 8/9/11 WONDER; FAMILY TRIP 10/30/11 DREAM; HAWAII 4/ 29/12 WONDER; DVC MEMBER CRUISE 9/16/12; 6/27/13 - MAGIC in the Med (Venice) 10/26/14 Eastern Caribbean Family Cruise - ON THE MAGIC AGAIN!
JLSE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #349
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
It really was an amazing day. I kind of had come around to the idea that Pixie Dust only ever happens to other people and I was truly OK with this as I am quite capable to make my own magic, but that day I had Pixie Dust by the bucket.

Corinna
I am so glad you got your Pixie Dust!

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #350
dolphingirl47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyPata View Post
Corinna

I really enjoyed your days at the parks & hotels. Even though I get to go to the parks all the time & stay at least once a year at one of the hotels it was so great seeing things I miss. I love Steakhouse 55 - such a special restaurant. I will be sure and go slower & smell the roses (as they say) and of course think of you next time I am at the parks. Thank you for the great reports.

Joyce
This is actually totally out of character for me. I normally try to fit in as much as I possibly can and for that day, I had a long list of things to do. I had every intention to do all my favourite rides at Disneyland and then cross over to California Adventure to do the same there, but that was not how it worked out. I loved every minute of the day so and this opened my eyes a little. I will approach our WDW vacation in a different way especially as I want to enjoy all the Christmas decorations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSE50 View Post
Thanks for sharing the wonderful details of your adventures and the Pixie Dust!!!

What is the story of the hanging garment in the Lilly Belle?

Jan

This information was never volunteered and I did not think to ask.

Quote:
I am so glad you got your Pixie Dust!
Thanks

Corinna
Old 10-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #351
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
I am normally pretty good at acronyms, but this had me puzzd all day. I quickly checked my emails this morning before heading to work. This has kept me amused ever since. Can you please let me know what CS and RSR is? The only thing I could come up with for CS is California Screamin and I don't go near this as it scares me. I drew a complete blank for RSR.

Graham tends to spend a lot of time exploring. That particular day, he had gone to have a ride on the Angel's Flight funicular railway and then went to Long Beach where he did a boat tour. He also really likes Fullerton and usually ends up there at least once every trip.

Corinna
Radiator Springs Racers! Sorry I didn't check back in sooner. I haven't been on the computer much other than to update my seriously lagging TRs. I've mostly been DISing from my phone and i don't like to read yours and some other TRs from the phone, because you have a lot of large pictures which don't always download on my phone. In fact I read this last update text only because none of the photos showed up. I'll have to go back on the computer and look them up. I'd really like to see your resort photos!

You really did have a pixie dust filled day. I'm like you, I always thought that the pixie dust was for other people, but we really got our share of it on our last trip. I'll be heading over to your PTR soon.

I can't believe Graham covered that much ground in a day!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:22 AM   #352
dolphingirl47

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Radiator Springs Racers! Sorry I didn't check back in sooner. I haven't been on the computer much other than to update my seriously lagging TRs. I've mostly been DISing from my phone and i don't like to read yours and some other TRs from the phone, because you have a lot of large pictures which don't always download on my phone. In fact I read this last update text only because none of the photos showed up. I'll have to go back on the computer and look them up. I'd really like to see your resort photos!

You really did have a pixie dust filled day. I'm like you, I always thought that the pixie dust was for other people, but we really got our share of it on our last trip. I'll be heading over to your PTR soon.

I can't believe Graham covered that much ground in a day!
I am sorry that the photos are causing issues on your phone.

I am not quite sure about the distances involved, but Graham did that whole trip on public transportation.

Corinna
Old 10-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #353
franandaj

Quote:
I am sorry that the photos are causing issues on your phone.

I am not quite sure about the distances involved, but Graham did that whole trip on public transportation.

Corinna
No worries on the photos, most people with hi res photos cause my phone to make it difficult to read, that's why I can't always keep up. There's one TR with a lot of videos and I can't even watch those because they crash my phone. She has so many large pictures that some times ie just quits on my phone when reading her TR.

I prefer reading on the computer anyways, the pictures are much more enjoyable.

That's amazing he worked out a trip like that on public transport!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
Old 10-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #354
dolphingirl47

Day 24

And all over sudden the day I never want to arrive was there. It was the day on which we had to return home. Mickey called us on last time at 4:30 in the morning. Graham proclaimed that Mickey was lying when he said that there were "doings going on". We got up, got ready and packed the last few things. Then we left our room for the last time. I had asked the day before when the room charges account would be delivered to the room and had been told before 9:00 so I was fully prepared that I had to go to the front desk to get a copy, but it was hanging from the door handle when we left the room. I quickly checked this over and everything was in good order. This saved some time and we got to the front of the hotel about 20 minutes before our pick up time. I finished my orange soda, which somehow had managed to last me all holiday. I also decided to have another go at taking a photo of the stained glass door. I was pretty happy with how the photos have turned out considering that it was pitch black. It was also interesting to watch the early morning activity at the hotel. Our van arrived right at the beginning of the pick up slot that they had specified. There were already two people on the van and the driver advised that we had one more pick up at the Paradise Pier Hotel and then we would head straight to the airport. This was so much better than last year. The person who we were supposed to pick up at Paradise Pier Hotel was running a little late and the driver ended up calling her, but soon we were on our way and the run to the airport went smoothly. We were the first people to be dropped off.

Checking in at the Delta terminal was a new experience. We had arrived there a couple of times before, but never departed from there. This is a much more modern terminal then the one that KLM and Virgin Atlantic are departing from, but it is also much bigger. This early in the morning, the check in area was not particularly busy. There was only one person in front of us at check in. When we got to check in, I had a bit of a surprise. The bag that contained all of our shoes, wetsuits and assorted knick knacks and that I had fully expected to be overweight actually was quite a bit lighter than it could have been. However, the suitcase that had just the clothes in was heavier than allowed. I was given the choice between repacking or checking them as they are and pay an additional $15. I figured for the sake of $15 it was not worth repacking. As it turned out, I would have had plenty of time to do so. For some reason our passports would not read at the check in desk and she had to take them to a supervisor who was based at the opposite end of the terminal. So this took a little while. Still, we had more than enough time. Eventually we were checked in and had our boarding passes. At this terminal we did not take our luggage for screening so we were soon at security where there was no line that early in the morning.

When we got airside, everything was still closed. The shops and restaurants did not open until 7:30 or 8:00. We found our gate and sat down. There were plenty of sockets around so I was able to plug in my iPad. I was reading for a while. Then the entertainment arrived. May must be the beginning of the basketball season and apparently Delta sponsor the L.A. Lakers. They were putting up some basketball hoops. One would have thought that this would not be too complicated, but apart from the three people charged with doing the actual job, there were another 10 or so consisting of security and management just being in a flap. It was all highly amusing. The maintenance guys would start putting the hoops up and then somebody in a suit would ask them to move it a little only for the next person in a suit to ask them to put it back where they had originally tried to build it. The whole thing was just pure comedy.

Eventually our growling stomachs won and we went in search of some breakfast. We ended up at McDonalds were we both had a Double Sausage and Egg McMuffin with Hash Brown. Graham had a coffee and I had some orange juice. That morning even a breakfast at McDonalds provided some amusement. They had signs up giving detailed guidelines on how much sugar and creamer you were allowed to take for the different sizes of coffee.

By the time we finished our breakfast, the duty free shops had opened as well. I decided to continue my search for Ghirardelli Peanut Butter Squares that I had started last year, but unfortunately my success rate this year was not any higher. Graham had headed back to the gate area while I had browsed in the shops and I went back to join him. Graham still watched the world go by and I decided to work on my trip report. Soon it was time to board.

Our flight had come from Australia and therefore we had a Boeing 777 again. When we got on the plane, the person that had the window seat asked us to swap as his friend was sitting across the aisle from us. Graham was quite happy to swap to the window seat. I was not quite as happy being wedged in the middle seat between Graham and a stranger. Still, I actually do not remember anything about this flight so I suspect I spend all of it asleep.

A couple of days before we flew back, we had an email from Delta advising us that the new international terminal at Atlanta had just opened. I was a little nervous about this, but there was no need. They had repurposed concourse E and added a new concourse F and those two make up the new international terminal. As our flight had come from Sydney, we landed in concourse E and a quick look on the screens when we got off the plane confirmed that this was also where our flight to Manchester would depart from. We went and found the departure gate, had a quick bathroom break and I had a quick look at the displays. All over concourse E, they had displays of fashion items made from recyclable materials like cans and plastic bags. Some of the dresses in particular were absolutely gorgeous.

By this time, we were ready for some lunch. Last year we had dinner at TGI Friday's in concourse E and this is where we headed this time. We shared some Crispy Green Bean Fries as a starter. Graham had a Steak with Fries and Vegetables and I went with the Jack Daniel's Sampler, which consisted of Crispy Cajun shrimp, Asian-inspired Sesame Jack Chicken Strips and Jack Daniel’s glazed baby back pork ribs. Graham had a Budweiser and I had a Margarita. We were talking and I mentioned that at some stage we had eaten a restaurant in the USA and they kept moving wheelie bins backwards and forwards through the restaurant, which had caused some amusement. Neither of us could quite remember where this was. Shortly after we had that conversation, the wheelie bins appeared so it was a fair assumption that it was this restaurant.

After lunch, we decided to take a wander around the terminal to walk of some of the food. I had a look at some of the shops. I was still living in hope that I may find my beloved Ghirardelli Peanut Butter Squares. I had no such luck, but I did come across some other treats and treasures. The main duty free shop had a MAC concession in it and I can never resist looking at their goodies. I was both surprised and delighted when I spotted the lilac lip gloss that I had hoped to get when we left for this trip. Of course, I had to get this. They also had the Patron XO Cafe coffee-flavoured Tequila that I love so much so I had to get a bottle of this. Another couple from the Uk caused a bit of a stir at the till. They were in front of me and had just paid. They were still hanging around by the till when I was paying. While my payment was processed, the cashier asked them if she could help them. The man told her in a very sharp voice that they were still waiting to get the items that they had purchased back. The cashier explained that all duty free purchases will be delivered to the boarding gates. At that stage they completely lost it. They were both shouting that this was totally unacceptable and that this should be made clear before people make purchases. By this time my payment had been processed, I took my receipts and made a quick exit.

We headed to our departure gate and sat down. I was able to plug in my iPad again and worked a bit more on my trip report. It was not too long until they started to board our flights. After all the excitement about the duty free in the shop earlier on, they were really late delivering the duty free purchases to the gate. They had already called the first three boarding groups by the time the duty free purchases arrived. We were in group 4 so we were able to pick up my purchases on the way to the plane. The flight was eventless. As we were still full from lunch, we both passed on dinner. Graham watched a couple of films and I spent the early parts of the flights either reading or working on my trip report. For most part of the flight I slept. Apparently there was a little turbulence at one point, but I slept right through it. I only woke up properly when they started to serve breakfast. I passed on this particular pleasure and just had something to drink. I have learned the hard way that even though no airline food is of gourmet standard, airline breakfast should come with a health warning.

We arrived in Manchester a little ahead of schedule and it was a grey and wet day. The lines at passport control were quite long and for some reason initially all the self service gates for people with chipped passports were closed. They opened them a bit later and encouraged people with chipped passports to use them, which emptied out the line considerably. I was quietly thinking to myself that the next time I travel, I would be able to use the self-service gates. Of course, this has proven to be wishful thinking as I am still waiting for my British citizenship. In the end we cleared passport control quite quickly and our luggage arrived in quick succession shortly after we got to the baggage hall. Somehow I managed to lose Graham on the short walk from customs to the taxi rank, but we soon caught up with each other again and there was a taxi waiting. When we got home, we just put our luggage in the living room and went straight to bed.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #355
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

I have thoroughly enjoyed your TR! Thank you so much for sharing all your thoughts and pics. I am glad that you have another trip soon so I can live through your travels!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 20/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #356
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

What a wonderful trip, thanks so much for sharing the adventure

I left for Cozumel through the same airport earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed the clothes made with recycled items. They were so creative.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Pinkocto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #357
dgbg100106

Thanks for the wonderful TR I enjoyed the whole thing and look forward to the next upcoming adventures

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
Old 10-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #358
franandaj

Thanks for a great TR!

What are the Ghirardelli Peanut butter squares? My grocery store sells Ghirardelli Caramel squares and other flavors, but I always get caramel. I'll check and see if they have peanut butter flavor.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:29 AM   #359
dolphingirl47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
I have thoroughly enjoyed your TR! Thank you so much for sharing all your thoughts and pics. I am glad that you have another trip soon so I can live through your travels!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
What a wonderful trip, thanks so much for sharing the adventure

I left for Cozumel through the same airport earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed the clothes made with recycled items. They were so creative.
Quote:
Thanks for the wonderful TR I enjoyed the whole thing and look forward to the next upcoming adventures
Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Thanks for a great TR!

What are the Ghirardelli Peanut butter squares? My grocery store sells Ghirardelli Caramel squares and other flavors, but I always get caramel. I'll check and see if they have peanut butter flavor.
Thanks for following along.

Alison, the Ghirardelli Peanut Butter Squares look precisely like the Caramel Squares, but they are filled with Peanut Butter. I got hooked on those when they were giving out free samples at Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World one day and this seems to be the only place where I can find them. Fortunately I can stock up soon.

Corinna
Old 10-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #360
dgbg100106

http://www.amazon.com/Ghirardelli-Ch.../dp/B0027ILMLY

http://www.amazon.com/Ghirardelli-Ch.../dp/B003AOCO48

http://www.amazon.com/Ghirardelli-Ch.../dp/B001G0MFZ6

Just thought I would help.....

2013 Cruising adventures

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: