Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
coruth4
Mouseketeer

Candy Cane Inn vs Carousel Inn

We are looking to book a trip for next May. This will be our first trip to Disneyland. We are trying to decide between Candy Inn vs Carousel Inn.
We typically stay in a family suite at Disney World and thought Carousel's Kids Suite would be similar. Plus my son likes the idea of a roof top pool. I am not sure how easy the walking communte is from the hotel to the park though.
Candy Cane seesm to get very high rating on Tripadvisor and is VERY close to the parks. But we would have to stay in a typical 2 bed room with a roll away for our daughter. Which wouldn't be the end of the world by any means.
Do any Disneyland vets have some suggestions either way?
We will probably be booking things ourselves rather than through a travel agent or Disney directly because the Good Neighbor program only seesm to allow for standard rooms. We are not that concerend with the dining plan & wil probably just pay out of pocket for meals - a big change from our typical free dining at Disney World!
Thank you all in advance!
All Star Music Family Suite December 2009
Pop Century August 2007
Fort Wilderness Campground July 2005
coruth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
mad hatter fan
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to comment on the Carousel's rooftop pool. We stayed there this last July and the pool was icy cold and my daughter refused to swim in it. My son's did for a little while but my younger one scraped his toe badly on the super rough surface of the concrete. Oh and the pool is very small. I guess, I am saying that I wouldn't choose the Carousel based on the pool, LOL.

We loved the close walk though, the new pizza place in front is delicious, and our concierge's room in the back was nice and quiet, though nothing special. The bed felt as if I might almost roll off it! But I will likely stay here again.

DLR July 02 DLR Jan 04 DLR Dec 04 WDW CR Jan 06 DLR Jan 07 WDW POR Jan 08 DLR Dec 08 DLR "Just the Two of Us" Aug 09 DLR just me and DS9 May 09 WDW POR Oct 2010 DLR June 2011 just DH and DD
Disneyland July 2012 DLR Mar 2013 Just DS17 and I POR March 2014
mad hatter fan is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
coruth4
Mouseketeer

Thank you for your repsonse! That is helpful info on the pool. My son is more of a "floater" but he definately does not like cold pools. He is used to the heated ones at Disney World - spoiled little bugger.
Pop Century August 2007
Old 10-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Camshell
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at the Carousel before. The pool is very small. Nothing like you'ld find at WDW. The motels in the strip across the street are adequate they don't feel anything like staying on property at WDW. For us they were always just a place to sleep.

The upside however, is that the Carousel is bascially at the crossing lights to cross the road to get onto the Disney property. The location can't be beat! It is really close. I would recommend Carousel for that alone.

You can also see Disneyland from the breakfast lounge area, which is a really nice bonus for motel on that strip.

'78 DL, '89 DL, '96 Tokyo DL, '01 DL, '05 DL, '09 DL, '11 WDW, '12 Aulani, '12 DL, '13 WDW, '15 Aulani

Camshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
belle'ssister
Belle's Sister

Never have stayed st the Carousel but have stayed at CCI many times and are going back on November. The big plus fir me us the exclusive shuttle, you can walk it but at the end of the night
A bus ride is welcomed.

The breakfast is bagels, donuts, yogurt, cereal etc. beds are very comfy. Nice pool area, we like to eat breakfast out there.

Staff is helpful and friendly.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Zebbie
Earning My Ears

Had a good stay Carousel Inn last time. The beds were good, and I love that my room didn't have carpet (overly used hotel carpet can be gross).

I have to agree with others, the pool was a bit of a let down. But to be honest, I never had any intent of swimming in the pool, as my time there was all about Disney. With the cross walk to Disney so insanely close... this was a easy choice of stay. I also liked the list of nearby food choices as well, so this helped. If I am looking for Pools during my stay... its HoJo.

My only major gripe would be the same as any hotel breakfast. The dinning area was too small and with glass plates only, it was eat in the insanely packed dinning area or buy your food elsewhere. To be the optimist, and considered it training for busy lines at the parks
Zebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

We love the Candy Cane. The staff is great and they do a good job keeping the place very clean. The breakfast is nice as it helps us get to the park when it opens.
MillauFr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #8
coruth4
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone! You have all been super helpful!
Pop Century August 2007
Old 10-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
Magalex
DIS Veteran

We are also planning our first trip to DL for next summer 2013. We are vets of the WDW resorts. Candy Cane Inn is on the top of our list which is a 90% decision right now unless we get really lucky & we can stay at Paradise Pier. I have also considered The Fairfield Inn, Tropicana Inn, & Camelot Inn. Just waiting for South West to post their summer flights
WDW 2010-POP
WDW 2012-CBR
DL/DCA 2013-Candy Cane Inn
WDW and Sea World Orlando June 2014- The "B" resort in DTD
Magalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
Ingrid0382
Mouseketeer

We love the CCI. The pool area is so pretty, especially at night. There's the regular pool and a little wading pool for toddlers that's always nice and warm. We really enjoyed the continental breakfast and eating it in the pool area. It wasn't a full-blown breakfast, just pastries, toast, bagels, oatmeal, cereal, yogurt and fruit, plus coffee, hot chocolate and juice. But it's always well stocked and was more than enough to get our family going in the morning.

My husband was hesitant about the distance at first. After our first time using the complimentary shuttle, he was sold on the place. It's now his very favorite hotel to stay at in the area.
Ingrid0382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
kylie71
Can't wait for more!
I love mexican food, sooo Much!

LOVED the CCI!

We stayed there for 4 nights over Labor Day Weekend, and it was the BEST in my opionon. I used to be a HoJo lover, or FFI, now I'm devoted to the CCI!

Family owned and operated..
Cannot recommend it enough!

Lori
kylie71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: