Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #571
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12591 View Post
Ooookay, caught up!

Way to go to the E's for paddling all that way!! And good for mom on the way back!! Y'all rocked it!!
It was fun, Evan was quite the paddler! Eric on the other hand may be traumatized for life. LOL!

Quote:
Margaritaville burgers are HUGE!! Two people could eat on those things! Hope the shorts worked out well. Do we get to see your new shirt?
I don't think there is a single picture of me in it, despite the fact that I wore it quite a bit on the trip. So yes, there will be a picture but at the end of just the shirt. I am taking it on my Oct trip so a picture may come back with me after all, you never know!

Quote:
I don't know how you do it, girl! I don't know that I could have put up with the boys acting that way without threatening one of them riding the SUV roof, the remainder of the trip. And then you still cooked!

I would have been tempted to do some sort of take out that night but would have thought better and probably cooked too. It's so hard for me to eat out now days, it's better to have a healthy meal, and it's cheaper on the wallet. Good for you Mama!
Oh I'm sure there were threats like that...they usually involve being left on the side of the road. Honestly on that night, take out never even occurred to me as an option and I'm glad we stuck with our plan, it was definitely easier on the wallet.

Quote:
Can't wait to hear about the turtle story and why y'all have to close your blinds. [/COLOR]
It's pretty neat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
interesting about the turtles.

I love Walmart. I always check in on Facebook. Seriously only for health stuff and other junky stuff.
Health stuff and junky stuff. that's funny

Quote:
I had no idea Starbucks had an app to find them. I must look.
The app was been very helpful on the trip, I also use it as my Starbucks card and just pay with my phone getting scanned, kind of cool!

Quote:
great update. The food looks good. The salmon rub looked really good. I will try to find it.
Tom Douglas is a local chef who makes a whole line of rubs and other marinades, etc. The salmon one is good but there are a few I like even better. One of our favorites is the Spicy Tokyo one. I'll baste the salmon with yoshidas and then use the spicy tokyo on top of it...yum! There's also an african one I like...but can't recall the name of it. We usually have about 4-6 of them around the house though lately I've been making a lot of my own rubs as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Sorry to hear your drive to Vero was so boring and bickery. I'm another one who know exactly what you are talking about with the two boys!

Quote:
Glad you got to stock up on a few things along the way. on the boogie board and snorkel gear. I hope they get lots of use.
I am glad we picked both up. We'd have lived without them but it did make things easier and faster more than once.

Quote:
Great view- looks like a perfect place for some coffee in the morning.
It was a lovely view. Due to the way it is laid out, you lose a little of the view while seated which is a little bit of a bummer but still, just lovely.

Quote:
I'm impressed with the meal you put together after such a long day, a frustrating drive, so late at night. It looked really good!

Can't wait for the turtle walk!!!
It's one of our basic, go to easy and fast dinners so it worked perfectly that night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
I can totally relate with the car ride drama! I have two younger brothers on my dad's side, and we drove down from Vermont to Florida (a 24 hour drive). I was 16 at the time, and my brothers were 6 and 10! They bickered NONSTOP!! I totally feel ya! We seem to always drive places because my dad and step mother don't like to fly. It's a great time..
The funny thing is we did a giant road trip in 2008. Seattle to the Grand Canyon and back, via Yellowstone, Denver and Santa Fe. No fighting and we were crammed in a minivan with suitcases under feet! However we did have books. Lots and lots of books. And I think we were short on that this trip as when both boys went to pack, magically they were out of anything to read that they hadn't read already (hence the desperate library stop on departure night). It would have helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
ANYWAY, I'm sure you were thrilled to arrive! I'm excited to see your pictures and hear about Vero Beach! It seems beautiful! Your villa is very nice! I love the kitchen!
I loved the kitchen at Vero. Same layout as OKW but the colors, it was just adorable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Oh you poor thing! So much drama in such a short period of time. I guess because my kids are 10 years apart in age, they didn't fuss and fight much.
K&T are 4 and they are fine now but oh there was a time that they were a nightmare! The boys are in the thick of it lately, historically they haven't really been all that bad. Must be the tween/teen hormones kicking in. ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I'm so looking forward to hearing/reading about your turtle walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Your car ride drama reminds me of a family trip where we travelled to England by sleeper train (and then ferry across the Channel) in the early 80s when Katharina and I were young, I think I might have been around Eric's age. My mother, my sister and I had one compartment and Katharina and I were so excited that we kept making fun nearly all night.
I'd have been so excited I'd be bouncing off the walls at that age too! I've only done one sleeper train, at 16, and it was incredibly exciting. Still seems like a movie scene in my memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
I still remember that my mother kept telling us that obviously there was no need to travel by sleeper car if we had no intention of sleeping on the train. I think she must have been so frustrated! I am not sure how much time any of us slept... Oh and the next day in London we had great fun as we had to transport our bikes. which had been sent ahead, but had to be claimed at Victoria Station, all the way across the city to Waterloo station to continue our journey, as well as the luggage. That was quite an adventure!
Oh your poor mother! I can only imagine. Yikes on getting kids, bikes AND luggage across town. What an adventure.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #572
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Jeff and I woke up Monday morning to bright sunny skies and decided to...have coffee on the verandah. I honestly have no idea what time we woke up and went out there but it was not early. Probably sometime between 8:30 and 9, the long day and late night catching up with us.

Basking in the sun, verging on baking actually, with kids still sleeping and truthfully already feeling ansty, I decided to quit procrastinating and get some work done while Jeff surfed on his phone.

You can see in this picture where the wall hits and the ledge is to view out. It seemed high to me, too high. So that when seated, you can't really see out as you'd like and it feels enclosed, or at least more enclosed than it should, or could. It's a silly thing but it bugged me. It somehow, even though I was outside, made it feel a little claustrophobic while seated. Private yes but I wanted to see and feel the ocean!

As you may recall, I had left home with an unresolved work project. Something that could have, should have been done and released after I left that thanks to others not providing timely feedback, was not. With an almost 2 week vacation it wasn't something myself, or my boss, wanted to wait until my return. I didn't think making the needed changes would be an issue from the road and since we'd brought the computer for Kendall to do math on (which was based on incorrect information, she didn't need it or use it...for that) I'd be using the kids mac. I'll toss this out there now. I'm a PC user. I like my iphone just fine and I can find my way around a mac if need be but the reality is that all the programs are just "enough" different to really chap my hide. And frustrate me. Things that should take 5 minutes, take me longer as I am just not as familiar. This particular project involved an email marketing blast. On the mac, I'd need to go into the program and make the changes. Shouldn't be an issue as it is server hosted software, not mac specific. Typically, when I work on these things at the office, I'm using double monitors, to easily cut and paste and check my work. I like keyboard shortcuts. And my mouse.

I didn't have a mouse.

The sensitivity on our mac's keypad, for whatever reason, is not my friend. I've tried tweaking it but it hasn't seemed to help. The keyboard shortcuts on a mac, are different. Cut and Paste should be universal if you ask me, why Apple felt the need to use a key other than "control" is beyond me. As a result, while trying to change huge sections that someone who feels the need to edit every comma...without changing material content...just to have it be stated the way they "like" it better...despite the fact it had been approved by at least 4 others already (rant over lol)...I kept wasting time hitting the wrong keys and not being able to go back and forth between the internet program, and the doc I was pulling the info from in a timely fashion.

Call this...Challenge A.

We were at the beach. In a villa. With free internet!

Free. But lousy. Here we go!

And....drop the signal....can't find the signal...oh wait, here's a signal for building 14...oh wait, lost the signal...sorry changes not saved...connection lost...oh wait, here's a signal for building 15...oh wait, lost the signal...sorry changes not saved...connection lost...oh wait.

Think lather, rinse, repeat...with my brain and needed changes on the part that kept getting rinsed out.

Call this...Challenge B.

It was getting hot out, the keyboard not being thrilled with the state of things; I went and attempted to finish up on the bed. The amount of time it took thanks to Challenge A&B, compared to how long it should have taken was mind boggling. Finally got it done, a new proof ready to send out and shut things down. My boss and co worker would get it later that morning once work started in Seattle....but being that it was a Monday I didn't expect feedback (but did expect more changes) until at least dinner time, Vero time.

A couple of the kids finally started to stir. One...not so much.

It was now 10:30. Sigh.

Call this…Challenge C.

Ok

With prodding...movement occurred. Breakfasts were eaten. And the Olympics were turned on. Don’t get me wrong, I like Michael Phelps as much as anyone and it was the heats for the 200M butterfly but it’s a gorgeous morning and we are at the BEACH people! As a general rule, for me, turning on the tv while I am on vacation is akin to nails on a chalkboard. It should be outlawed. As should be computers.

And then I heard "I'm going to take a shower"

HUH? We are at the BEACH! Isn't a shower for AFTER the beach?
?????

At this point, the internet connection frustration, the co-worker frustration (that I was even having to do work at all) the prior days drive, bickering and total lack of pool and beach for yours truly caught up with me.

I HAVE TO GET OUT OF THIS ROOM!

NOW!

Yep. Pretty sure I stated it just like that. In fact, yelling may have occurred. Or tense loud speaking. I’m still trying to block it from my memory. I was hot, bothered, bored, frustrated and WANTED OUT OF THAT ROOM! Yeah. Why I didn't just leave calmly...it's not like anyone was locking me in based on their agenda, is a bit beyond me. Nope, instead I expected everyone to want what I wanted (namely hit the beach NOW as soon as they'd eaten) and more importantly, read my mind, know what I wanted and magically just start doing it. The boys? They wanted to go to the pool.

HUH? We are at the BEACH people!

Ok fine, I'll take the boys to the pool. I suppose that way I don't have to do beach rules solo for the 1st outing. I had the boys change and put on sunscreen. Except...one was missing. Great. Now we were down two brand new bottles of good organic mineral sunscreen. The first, Jeff had to toss as he tried to board the plane with it coming from the airshow to MCO. The second...well the second no one was fessing up to. It just mysteriously disappeared, probably left at the pool or in the room at OKW (I did call but no luck). Basically I left in a huff, grabbing the boys and taking them to the pool. We got there at...

11:30

They jumped in, happy as larks, headed up to the slide and I sat there and stewed.

And stewed

And stewed

I got up a couple of times, checked out the rental info and activity schedule, checked out the bleachers menu and filled up an iced tea in my refillable mug.

The boys…were oblivious

And practiced snorkeling with the new gear

Uh oh...is a fight over gear in the works?

About an hour later (I guess after the infamous pre-beach shower was taken and the heat concluded) I get a call.

"We’re going to the beach"

Not "We are heading down, should we join you at the pool and then all of us can head to the beach together?"

Or anything along those lines.

Just

"We're going to the beach"

I’m not sure I spoke. I hung up in disbelief. After my fit not only was the rest of my family not going to come join me…they were going to the beach without me. I sat there and stewed.

And stewed

And stewed

And stewed

And stewed some more.

Went to the restroom

And picked up the phone.

"I've been sitting here waiting for you guys so we could all go to the beach together and I'm pretty hurt you went without me"

"I didn't know you wanted to go to the beach"

"You took the boys to the pool"

"I just wanted out of the room and didn't feel like waiting while someone took a shower…to go to the pool or beach. All I wanted to do today was go to the beach and we've been in the room all morning."

"Oh."

"Ok."

"I had no idea"

"You were working"

"I figured I'd better stay in the room to make sure she came down after the shower. Otherwise she'd keep watching swimming"

"I'm sorry?"

"You were really mad"

"I didn't understand what was going on"

"Thought maybe you just needed some space at the pool to cool off?"

"We will come get you guys."

And to the beach we went.

Not my finest morning.

But…we were off to the beach!

Did I mention how much I love the beach?

Lunch with a view

Last edited by eandesmom; 10-08-2012 at 08:02 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #573
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

That high railing is kind of weird. Probably for accident liability purposes. Our balcony had slats, so at least you could see below the railing some, but others were like yours.

I'm sorry about your morning. You must be the only family that has miscommunications and lacks mind-reading abilities. (That deserved a double-rolleyes.) But good for you for making the call and saying "here's what I wanted to do". I've asked Judy to do that with me in those oh-so-rare occasions when I'm not getting it.

I'm glad you got a photo of Eb & Flo's rental fee board, I looked at it but never thought to get a picture. I wish we'd had more time to do some of those things: bocce ball, croquet, bicycing....
Old 10-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #574
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

That is EXACTLY the type of meltdown I have! Things like that happen to us frequently. I always say I shouldn't have to spell everything out, not that I expect you to read my mind, but you know me pretty well by now, right? How about some consideration? Blah, blah, blah...

Was it pretty crowded when you were there? The pool looked fairly active.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #575
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear about your work challenges. Bad enough to have to do the work (which should not have been an issue if people had done their jobs before you left), but to have to use a MAC, deal with a poor connection and *shudders* sans mouse. ICK!!!

Oh, no!!! Faced with your situation, I would have had the same reaction! I love the beach, too! Being so close, yet not there. Not cool!!!

A long time ago, my DH and I went with a bunch of his coworkers to a cottage on Cape Cod. It was very drizzly when we arrived, but when the sun finally came out in the afternoon, and I was itching to hit the beach, the others pulled the curtains in the room and watched Scream. I wanted to scream!. And threw a hissy fit later that night and insisted that we leave instead of staying over as originally planned. I'm not going to be at the beach and not be AT the beach!
Old 10-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #576
LegoMom3

Me and mine are way overdue

Next time, you bring me as your live-in/travel-along nanny/housekeeper. I love the pool and can stay there all day. And, I'm really good at cleaning.

As long as I can start my day with coffee on the verandah....

Old 10-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #577
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Yikes for having to work on vacation! ..... and then having a computer you are not used to, so not fun!

And I can VERY much relate to the family issues when you wanted to go to the beach as well. I would not have been a happy bunny either.
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Old 10-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #578
MEK
DIS Veteran

Posting from my phone. Ok I don't recall how high the railing was at Vero. Think Glen is probably right about the liability thing.

Nothing is more frustrating than a computer with slow internet service. Yuck to having to finish work on vacation. That stinks! Big time!

The thing I really liked about Vero was how close the pool was to the beach. Of course the boys had to use the pool first. What did you expect? Lol.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW

Last edited by MEK; 10-04-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #579
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Jeff and I woke up Monday morning to bright sunny skies and decided to...have coffee on the verandah.
You probably are ready for us to stop beating this joke into the ground by now, huh?

Quote:
Are you sure you're allowed to use an Old Key West mug at Vero Beach? Watch, I bet this upsets the rhythm of the whole morning now. You're meddling with forces you cannot possibly comprehend.

Quote:
I decided to quit procrastinating and get some work done while Jeff surfed on his phone.
Top 10 Reasons to Procrastinate:

Quote:
And....drop the signal....can't find the signal...oh wait, here's a signal for building 14...oh wait, lost the signal...sorry changes not saved...connection lost...oh wait, here's a signal for building 15...oh wait, lost the signal...sorry changes not saved...connection lost...oh wait.

Quote:
As a general rule, for me, turning on the tv while I am on vacation is akin to nails on a chalkboard. It should be outlawed. As should be computers.
And bringing work along.

Quote:

I HAVE TO GET OUT OF THIS ROOM!

NOW!

Quote:
I was hot, bothered, bored, frustrated and WANTED OUT OF THAT ROOM! Yeah. Why I didn't just leave calmly...it's not like anyone was locking me in based on their agenda, is a bit beyond me. Nope, instead I expected everyone to want what I wanted (namely hit the beach NOW as soon as they'd eaten) and more importantly, read my mind, know what I wanted and magically just start doing it.
I've told my wife that I'm really working hard on my mind-reading skills, but this ESPN stuff is really hard.

Quote:
The boys…were oblivious
I knew I liked them.

Quote:
About an hour later (I guess after the infamous pre-beach shower was taken and the heat concluded) I get a call.

"We’re going to the beach"

Not "We are heading down, should we join you at the pool and then all of us can head to the beach together?"

Or anything along those lines.

Just

"We're going to the beach"
Well, hey, at least they called.

Quote:
I sat there and stewed.

And stewed

And stewed

And stewed

And stewed some more.
"What we have here...is failure to communicate."

Quote:
Not my finest morning.

But…we were off to the beach!

Did I mention how much I love the beach?

Sorry it was such a miserable morning. Surely it gets better from here, right? I hope?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #581
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

Good for you for not going the "if you don't know what's wrong I'm not going to tell you" route! No need for stewing on vacation

During our stay, my daughter was taking an online summer school class for which we obviously needed internet...building 14 or 15 - yeah, had that issue too! There was constant nagging to get the work done while the connection was good.

You're cranking out the report pretty quickly

Upcoming: 12/21/14-12/27/14 WDW**April 2-6 WDW
Old 10-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #582
Misskitty3
DIS Veteran

Oh man, I am so sorry your day started out like that!! The truth is we have all BTDT!

Disneyland: June '13 - Hojo's.....May '12 - BWPPI..... May ’09 - Hojo’s….Oct ‘07 – Grand Californian….Nov ‘06 – Paradise Pier.…June ’04 – Disneyland Hotel.…June ‘96 Anaheim Hilton…. July ‘95 - Carousel Inn….Aug ’92 – Carousel Inn…July ’90 - Embassy Suites…July ’89 - Anaheim Hilton…May ’88 - Penny Sleeper…May ’87 - Penny Sleeper…April ’77 (?)…June ’76 - Disneyland Hotel….June ‘73 First trip ever to Disneyland!!!

WDW: July ’94 - Marriott Orlando World Center.…April ’94 - Marriott Orlando World Center….July ’86 - Marriott Orlando World Center….April ’86 - Marriott Orlando World Center
Old 10-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #583
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

I'm with you; if I'm near a beach I NEED to be on that beach.

Rough morning. We all have them.

I'm thinking the day can only get better.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Old 10-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #584
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Aww...so sorry your morning started out so rough.

We are thinking of doing a beach trip next year. I love the beach. However, I know if there is a pool near by the boys are going to be heading there first. I can definitely understand your frustration!

Old 10-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #585
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Awwww ... Everyone has days (mornings) like that ... I'm hoping your day picks up...

yuck to work on vacation...

You should threaten to let everyone else plan vacations from now on ... maybe that would get everyone in line...

Tags
animal kingdom villas, disney dream, old key west, vero beach resort

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: