Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
king kamehameha
Poly Beach Comber

Horseback riding question..

Does anyone know if everyone needs to where a helmet regardless of age, and can you take a camera along for the ride?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
KIRSTIN'S MOMMY
Creates edible masterpieces
Planning a huge WDW family reunion...I know, I'm insane!!!

I've done the trail ride at Ft. Wilderness a few times and never had to wear a helmet, but the kids did.
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
ppony
Artist in residence

I'm shocked any place would allow anyone to go w/o a helmet. Especially Disney! I always used to wear one. Didn't matter my age. Even riding my own horse. Horses, are animals and as such accidents can happen. Even at Disney. I've never ride w/o one. Period.

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
Mickeyrella
Mouseketeer

The ride is pretty boring especially if you ride horses. I only say this because I do showjumping and equitation with my horse and I was pretty excited of doing this... But it was actually pretty boring and extremely s....loooooooo.....w. When I went guests under the age of 16 had to wear a helmet, older than 16 optional. I don't remember but I think you had to sign a waiver saying you understand what horseback riding implies and that accidents could happen. I might be wrong about the age since this was a few years ago.
Mickeyrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
ppony
Artist in residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrella View Post
The ride is pretty boring especially if you ride horses. I only say this because I do showjumping and equitation with my horse and I was pretty excited of doing this... But it was actually pretty boring and extremely s....loooooooo.....w. When I went guests under the age of 16 had to wear a helmet, older than 16 optional. I don't remember but I think you had to sign a waiver saying you understand what horseback riding implies and that accidents could happen. I might be wrong about the age since this was a few years ago.
All riding places make you sign the waiver. I'm still just shocked, no matter how well trained and now laid back a horse is, falling off of one (as I'm sure you've done too) can hurt, a LOT. Though I'll grant you, a lot more at speed. Ouch, bad memories. My horse was 16.2 hands too, it was a l-o-n-g way down. I've been grateful to have my helmet on, even in an arena, let alone out where there are rocks and hard things to fall on. If they say it's optional, I hope people do wear it. Bicyclists do w/o batting an eye. You won't look "stupid".

Old 10-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
cgattis
DIS Veteran

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but a helmet won't keep you from breaking your neck. Do I make my kids wear one--yes. And while skiing too. Do I? Nope. Should I? Probably. Also a note--on any of the Disney watercraft, only the kids are required to wear a lifejacket. No matter how well you swim, I'd you get knocked out in the water, you sink. Hypocritical? I guess. But I promise I always wear my seatbelt
cgattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
Dorisk3
DIS Veteran

My kids just did this and loved it. Neither had ever really rode a horse before, so it was an adventure to them. Everyone had helmets on, I'm not sure if adults are required to wear them or optional. They said no cameras. I wasn't on the ride so I don't know if people took pictures on the trail, but you are not supposed to.

Our family
Dorisk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
ppony
Artist in residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgattis View Post
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but a helmet won't keep you from breaking your neck.
Um, it's not meant to protect your neck. Just like bicycle and motorcycle helmets aren't protecting your neck either.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: