Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #16
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRose View Post
A friend told me they tamed the ride down in the last few years. Said it's scary, but not like it used to be. I wouldn't know. It is very loud, though, and has some completely dark spots. Don't think an 11 year old would have a problem. (The 5 and 3 year old in front of me sure did - stupid parents.)
They did when it changed from Countdown to Extinction to Dinosaur. That was back in 2000 when making the ride over as a tie in to the movie, Dinosaur.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #17
ghtx
DIS Veteran

It's scary no matter where you sit! But being on the left, farther from the dinosaur, might be a little less scary.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #18
flyslyw
Time Rover Expert

From my experience, this is one of those rides that people and their kids either absolutely love, or absolutely hate.

There are 3 rows of 4 seats. The back row is a bit of a rougher ride, whereas the front row is a bit tamer.

The Carnotaurus (most people call it the T-Rex) appears on both sides of the time rover throughout the ride, but the biggest, loudest roar towards the end (when your picture is taken), happens on the right side of the rover. Your best bet would be to put children in the middle two seats as previous posters have stated.

It's dark and loud, but it's so much fun!
2007 (Feb.) - All Star Sports, 2007 (Oct.) - off site
2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2010 & 2011 - All Star Sports
flyslyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #19
DisDayz
Mouseketeer

Best spot for her is second from the left on the front row. That way she has someone on each side while still pretty far from the Carnotaurus and has the "smoothest" ride, if a smooth ride is possible.

We leave tonight and this thread reminded me of the first time my oldest DD (19 now) rode this. She was maybe 7 or 8 at the time. The ride was normal enough but when we got off she started telling how scary it was. By the time we met up with my parents she swore the dinosaur had stretched down, bitten her and that she was in its mouth when I pulled her out by the feet and got her back in the seat. What can I say, she has a knack for telling a tale.
DisDayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #20
Sgtfox
Earning My Ears

Slightly OT story: I like Dinosaur, but the worst experience I've ever had at a Disney Park was on this ride.

We were about 3/4 the way through, I think near where the pterodactyl comes at you, when the ride stopped. We stopped in complete darkness, and the jeep hydraulics were still functioning in some sort of standby show mode, so the jeep was doing this constant irregular bouncing and jerking like we were driving over rough road, even though we were stopped. It was pretty substantial bouncing, just enough to where it would barely bounce you up into your seat belt and then shake you around a little before immediately repeating.

At first, everyone in the jeep was like, "Woah, this is interesting!" After about five minutes, everyone was like, "Okay, that definitely enough of this nonstop bouncing and shaking!" After about ten minutes, children were crying and people were getting upset. After almost fifteen minutes, several people in the jeep were doubled over and about to puke all over themselves. Shortly after that, they finally did a full ride stop and came to evac everyone. Several people could barely get up and had to be assisted out of the jeep, they were so sick from the bouncing.

I can do any ride at the resort, but was sick for over an hour after that. Ugh.
Sgtfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #21
#1DopeyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
A friend told me they tamed the ride down in the last few years. Said it's scary, but not like it used to be. I wouldn't know. It is very loud, though, and has some completely dark spots. Don't think an 11 year old would have a problem. (The 5 and 3 year old in front of me sure did - stupid parents.)
Chalk me up as another "stupid parent" I guess. I took my oldest 2 kids when they were 3yo and 4yo and they LOVED it...we rode it mulitiple times that trip and Ds also started his dinosaur collection that trip.
September 2005 ~ Coronado Springs *** February 2005 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge
May 2004 ~ Pop Century *** Dec. 2003 ~ Yacht Club
Jan. 2003 ~ Coronado Springs *** June 2002 ~ Off Site
Jan. 2002 ~ Off Site *** Aug. 2001 ~ All Star Movies
Jan. 1998 ~ Off Site *** Jan. 1995 ~ Off Site
#1DopeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #22
Sheaboys
DIS Veteran

We rode in 2005 with our then 7, 5 and 3yr old. The 7 yr old was scared to go on it, but did, he was fine, the 5 yr old was unphased by it, the 3 yr old, was in tears scared, but got over it quickly when he saw his scared silly picture.

This year, in August 2012 we went with our now, 14, 12, 10, 6 and 3yr old. The 6 and 3yr olds were scared during the ride, but fine at exiting. Wanted to go on it again.

Kids will either like, love or hate it. You won't know until you try it. I will say in 2005 it was much scarier than in 2012. I have that picture, and the dinosaur nearly ate my 3yr old in 2005, but the dinosaur in 2012 did not come out as far.

Mom to 5 little boys
WDW-various days during the 70's and 80's as a child. DisneyLand-July 1991, DisneyWorld-April 1992 offsite
Caribbean Beach-June 1995 honeymoon, All Stars Sports-December 1998, All Star Movies- November 2000 (me, my mom and the 2 boys) DTD Hotel - May 2001, All Star Movies-September 2001 (me, the 2 boys and my girlfriend), Disneyland-December 2003 (us and the 3 boys), POR-October 2nd-8th 2005 (us and the 3 boys)Caribbean Beach-August 25, 2012-September 2,2012
POR-August 2014 (16th-26th)

(dh43) (me 42) (15)(13)(11)(7) (5)
Sheaboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #23
AlixaLock
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1DopeyFan View Post
Chalk me up as another "stupid parent" I guess. I took my oldest 2 kids when they were 3yo and 4yo and they LOVED it...we rode it mulitiple times that trip and Ds also started his dinosaur collection that trip.
Stupid here, too! My 4-year old loves Dinosaur. TOT, not so much, but she survived that unscathed and askiing to try again next time. We have a try everything policy in our family. I ride Small World until my ears bleed and she tags along with us where it's safe.

Surprise! You are going to the Denstist trip to the Beach Club, February, 2014! Halloween Birthday Party, 2013 at the Contemporary! January, 2013 our last off season getaway at the Grand Floridian! June 9-18, 2012 Summer at the Bay Lake Tower! October 5-11, 2011 Food and Wine/MNSSHP at The Grand Flo; Jan/Feb 2011 Polynesian Dream Trip; June 2010 Grand Californian Dreaming (DL); March 2009 Boardwalk with Baby; May 2008 Baby meets Mickey at the Grand Californian (DL); January 2007 Grand Floridian, Dec 2005 Christmas at the Beach Club; 2003 Caribbean Beach ... 1974-1995 ..... Disneyland, Disneyland, Disneyland ...
AlixaLock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:16 AM   #24
DakotaRose
Mouseketeer

Oh dear! Need to clarify fast. Obviously not all parents who take their young kids on the ride are stupid. That's not what I meant. Apologies!

The two parents I was referring to, who were sitting in front of me, were indeed being stupid and selfish. The little girl (about 5) asked repeatedly about the ride and they told her "it's nothing, it doesn't matter, we're going". She was clearly nervous about it in line, telling them a few times that she didn't like scary, didn't like the dark, and they basically ignored her. She was screaming-hiccup-crying, curled up in a twitchy ball when it was over, and so was her little sister.

With Haunted Mansion if a child gets really scared, you can put your arm around them and talk to them a little for reassurance, even point out humorous things. Dinosaur is too wild and loud for that.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #25
AlixaLock
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Oh dear! Need to clarify fast. Obviously not all parents who take their young kids on the ride are stupid. That's not what I meant. Apologies!
I hear ya! Prepping a little one for a new ride is KEY! And lying to them and saying it't not scary will always backfire!

Funny story ... my daughter was anxious in line for TOT once and we were pointing things out and prepping her for the ride and there was a 20-something absolutely freaking out about getting on. His friends pointed at Cooper and said "look she's going!" No joke, the guy burst into tears and left the line! His friends we speechless and followed him away ... not sure what happened because we boarded right then. I have the pic with the four empty seats in front of us! I love that story!!

Surprise! You are going to the Denstist trip to the Beach Club, February, 2014! Halloween Birthday Party, 2013 at the Contemporary! January, 2013 our last off season getaway at the Grand Floridian! June 9-18, 2012 Summer at the Bay Lake Tower! October 5-11, 2011 Food and Wine/MNSSHP at The Grand Flo; Jan/Feb 2011 Polynesian Dream Trip; June 2010 Grand Californian Dreaming (DL); March 2009 Boardwalk with Baby; May 2008 Baby meets Mickey at the Grand Californian (DL); January 2007 Grand Floridian, Dec 2005 Christmas at the Beach Club; 2003 Caribbean Beach ... 1974-1995 ..... Disneyland, Disneyland, Disneyland ...
AlixaLock is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: