Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 05:59 AM   #16
mickey&minniealways
DIS Veteran

Have you considered renting points from a dvc member. That would give you plenty of room to move around. We spent around $2500 for a 2 bedroom at AKV last May. We were there for & nights. Park Tickets were a little pricier for us then they would be for you. My kids were 16, 22, and 24 at the time so we were 5 adults. This is how a get the whole family together for a vacation. Otherwise the older 2 seem to be to busy.
mickey&minniealways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:34 AM   #17
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhome View Post
Check out the family suites at All Star Music, as well - we stayed there with our two boys two years in a row because we liked it so much. You'll get two bathrooms, a queen bed for mom & dad, a pull out couch, pull out chair, and pull out ottoman, so plenty of room for the girls. Plus, these are pricing out cheaper than AoA. The pools are great and the food court is decent, too.
My family loves this option when we go to WDW on a tight budget.

OP--I want to ask, how big a deal is a pool to your family? While you can get suites at a couple of the value resorts, you won't get as nice of a pool area as you will at a moderate resort. If your kids would like to have a pool slide, and you and your hubby might want to use a hot tub, you have to stay at a moderate or deluxe resort. Slides and hot tubs are both part of the upgrade.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #18
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

In late Jan, you may be looking at big room discounts - I think that would make a lot more sense than FD for your family. With that kind of discount, don't be afraid to price out deluxe (you may be surprised) at the cost..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #19
AveryandLilysmom
Tigger and Pooh Fan

We are here at WDW right now, stayed our first three nights at Art of Animation. We are now staying at a studio villa at OKW (we rented points). I can tell you hands down that if you want space without paying a fortune, and the most "kid" themed choice on WDW site, it is now Art of Animation. I have not stayed at the Beach Club yet, which has the amazing pool for kids, but that is because it is alot more expensive. Our girls loved it and we only stayed in a standard little mermaid room.

Unless you are renting points a suite is very cost prohibitive, and unless discounting has changed in recent years, the special offers don't apply to suites (only villas and still way too expensive). My parents are staying next door to us at Port Orleans Riverside and I can assure you that with a family of 4, two adults and two little girls (5 and 3 and VERY petite), we personally would be just comfortable enough there as we were in the little mermaid rooms. A family of 5 will likely feel too cramped, though it is a beautiful resort. Since the deluxe resorts with any decent amount of space to them push over $300 a night even with discounts not sure you want that route either.

Art of Animation suites, without a discount, are reasonable at $225+ a night for what you get and brand new. That would be my vote, but hopefully you will be able to figure out what works best for your family and your needs! Enjoy the planning, don't stress, it is Disney!
Aug 2008 Pop, Sep 2009 Poly, May 2010 WL, October 2010 MGV, WWOHP trip, February 2011 CR, October 2011 Dolphin/Sheraton Vistana, October 2012 AoA/OKW, June 2013 CBR, October 2013 AKV, Kidani, January 2014 Disneyland Resort, April 2014 HIVC Orange Lake, October 2014 DCL Disney Wonder, March 2015 HIVC Orange Lake, Universal/WWOHP

Ever think you are there so often you should just move in?

AveryandLilysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #20
AveryandLilysmom
Tigger and Pooh Fan

Oh, and one more thing, Pop Century does not have space to sit outside. We stayed there years ago and our friends just stayed there up until yesterday-still no private space to sit outside (no chairs, no table, no "space" for just your room).
Aug 2008 Pop, Sep 2009 Poly, May 2010 WL, October 2010 MGV, WWOHP trip, February 2011 CR, October 2011 Dolphin/Sheraton Vistana, October 2012 AoA/OKW, June 2013 CBR, October 2013 AKV, Kidani, January 2014 Disneyland Resort, April 2014 HIVC Orange Lake, October 2014 DCL Disney Wonder, March 2015 HIVC Orange Lake, Universal/WWOHP

Ever think you are there so often you should just move in?

AveryandLilysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #21
klitteral2009
Mouseketeer

I had another question...I did price out the deluxe resorts because of the awesome proximity to the MK but they were super expensive. If I book now, and a discount presents itself in January, can I still apply to my package? I've seen things on the DIS seem to indicate that I can...also, does anyone have photos of the suites in ASM?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #22
klitteral2009
Mouseketeer

and as far as someone asking about importance of a pool...I'd say not all that important as we'll be there late january and I assume wont feel much like swimming. I could be wrong, as I dont know that I've ever been anywhere but home for winter, so I dont know exactly how warm I'll be or the kids when we're there. A pool with a slide and the play areas like at one of the moderates would be nice but I'm not sure we'll have a lot of time to spend there anyway.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #23
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klitteral2009 View Post
I had another question...I did price out the deluxe resorts because of the awesome proximity to the MK but they were super expensive. If I book now, and a discount presents itself in January, can I still apply to my package? I've seen things on the DIS seem to indicate that I can...also, does anyone have photos of the suites in ASM?
Yes, but there has to be availability in the resort you are booked at; or you may have to change resorts to get the discount.

Discounts and promos are used to fill resorts; if they have no problem filling the resorts (such as a new resort like AoA), you may not be able to apply it.

Also, there is an official AoA thread and there are also pictures on the AoA resort on this website, under the resorts section.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #24
cjlvsccm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If you are a Disney Visa cardholder, the latest discounts just came out for Jan - Mar. ( http://disneyrewards.com/offers ). And if you're not, these same offers should be opened to the public on Oct 10, but may have different codes. So this should help you get an idea of the pricing you may get.

Yes, it is possible to book now, and later apply the codes to your existing reservations... as long as your check-in date is within those days specified. And as long as there is still discount-availability at the resort you choose, because only a certain number of rooms are set aside for a given resort for each discount code.

So if you find something that works for you, book now and call asap on 10/10!

As someone else said, it would be do-able in a standard value room, since your little one can be in a pack-n-play. But you would have a bit more "elbow room" in a mod. And a slightly bigger bathroom... always a plus!

We've stayed in several different resorts (some multiple times), and all of them have been great. Any one of them we'd visit again (even though we want to work our way around to all of them ). So relax, knowing wherever you choose, you can have a wonderful time and enjoy it!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dec'12/Jan'13, NYE at AoA!!!! ... Apr/May '12, DREAM! ... Nov '11, POR ... Jan '11, CSR ... Nov '10, POFQ ... May '10, POFQ & ... Nov '09, after seeing STS-129 launch!!!! ... June '09, POP ... Nov/Dec '08, ASMu ... Oct '06, POP ... Aug '00, FREE trip (friend's radio prize!!), stayed offsite ... Aug '89 daytrip
cjlvsccm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #25
brewhome
Mouseketeer

Quote:
klittleral2009, you can find pics of the family suite at the following link - just scroll down the list and you'll find them. I have to say, the pics make the room look a little tired - I didn't feel that way at all when we were there. It's comfy and clean, and that's what matters most to me. Two bathrooms are WONDERFUL!!

http://allears.net/acc/g_asmu.htm

I just booked a family suite from 1/19/13-1/26/13 (7 nights) using the room only discount for $1340.98, which is about a $400 savings off the rack rate. I got a 25% discount, but because I have two nights on MLK weekend, it's a bit pricier. If you avoid that weekend, it will be even cheaper. My boys are 12 and 10 and we decided to go without the dining plan this trip since they both would be on the adult plan and my 10 year old barely eats. He'll want to order off the kids menu or split meals with me, so we decided to pay out of pocket this year. I also can get my park tickets for about $150 less than Disney prices through a work discount, so we really didn't need to buy a whole package this trip.

To answer your question about applying discounts after you've already booked - yes, you can - just call the reservations line and tell them you want to apply the discount. No issues there - I've done it before too.

Have fun planning - don't stress too much! It's vacation so it's supposed to be fun!
January/February 2011 - Second Trip with the Kids - All Star Music Family Suite
September 2011 - Two Sisters Take on Night of Joy! - Caribbean Beach Resort
September 2012 - Back to Night of Joy!! - Port Orleans Riverside
January 2013 - Third Trip with the Kids - All Star Music Family Suite
brewhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #26
brewhome
Mouseketeer

Quote:
and as far as someone asking about importance of a pool...I'd say not all that important as we'll be there late january and I assume wont feel much like swimming. I could be wrong, as I dont know that I've ever been anywhere but home for winter, so I dont know exactly how warm I'll be or the kids when we're there. A pool with a slide and the play areas like at one of the moderates would be nice but I'm not sure we'll have a lot of time to spend there anyway.
The first January we went, we only went in the pool one day because it was chilly out. The second January, we were in it several times because it was in the low 80's all week. Even without the slide, my boys had a blast. The life guards were throwing in beach balls, and they had music playing and games on the deck, so there was plenty to keep the boys occupied.
January/February 2011 - Second Trip with the Kids - All Star Music Family Suite
September 2011 - Two Sisters Take on Night of Joy! - Caribbean Beach Resort
September 2012 - Back to Night of Joy!! - Port Orleans Riverside
January 2013 - Third Trip with the Kids - All Star Music Family Suite
brewhome is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: