Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2012, 02:18 AM   #11
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
My cat was very cheap initially--$60 to a local cat rescue.

Within a couple of weeks, we spent over $1000 in vet bills because our new kitty had severe constipation. Those were some extremely expensive enemas. We also had another vet visit because it turned out our kitty develops lesions on her face when it gets too warm.

So our cat has some special needs, but her food (2 cases of Wellness canned cat food), a cat laxative given in her food daily, and a big can of pumpkin that we stir into her food, comes to about $85 per month. I buy her food from Amazon because it's cheaper than the local pet stores. We don't feed any grain based foods and no dry food because of her health problems, but I agree with the poster who said dry (and grain) are recipes for future health issues in a cat.

I realize most cats are cheaper, but keep this in mind--if you get a rescue cat, why is it there? I'm pretty sure my cat was there because she has issues. She was even bald when I got her. I thought it was because her previous owners didn't brush her, but now I realize they may have tried to give her medicine and "missed" enough to have matting from the medicine on her fur. It took me over a week to figure out I could put it in her food since I only feed her canned.
Whoa. They're there because people in this country are irresponsible and don't spay and neuter their animals, leading to a ridiculous number of animals people don't then want.

That's why people have noted that saying 'I'm thinking of getting a kitten' will lead to people offering free ones - because so many people know someone whose cat had kittens they don't want.

People are also irresponsible and put pets out, abandon them, don't care what happens, etc., leading to strays all over the place, which rescuses also take in, spay, neuter, take care of.

The idea that cats end up in shelters or rescues "for a reason" is like suggesting kids are up for adoption because there's something wrong with them. People have kids they can't take care of, they're even less responsible with their animals.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: