Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #31
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwdw View Post
HEADPHONES!!! YES!!! Go buy a pair of headphones and try them out before you go. It's worth the money to spend a few more dollars to get ones that are more comfortable.

Trust me - I have much, much higher tolerance for toddler babble/conversations with parents/quietly reading a book than I do listening to their games or movies. You can really irritate your fellow passengers that way. Train now - airplane rides mean headphones. Everyone does it and its the rules. No headphones means no video or game with volume on.
+1!

Some posters here are so sensitive! No one has criticized taking kids on planes, many of us have just pointed out how extremely inconsiderate it is to use a device which makes noise without headphones. If you think other PAX cannot hear it, you are wrong. If your child refuses, then the sound is turned off. How easy is that? Would you rather have a confrontation with another PAX or waste an FA's time having to tell you to turn the sound off?

If you're looking for kid's headphones, I recommend Kidz Gear, which you can find on Amazon, among other places.
lost*in*cyberspace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #32
jensuelee
Earning My Ears

In my experience, flight attendants are pretty quick to remind you that the sound on video games needs to be turned off, and I would imagine it would be the same with a DVD player.

If it's loud enough for the person using it to hear, you can bet the surrounding passengers can also hear it. Some people won't be bothered or complain but some may.
jensuelee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #33
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Yes, headphones are a must.

Along with the other things PP have said, don't forget to bring "lovies" with to help comfort ~ a special blanket or stuffed animal can go a long way.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #34
kt_mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
+1!

Some posters here are so sensitive! No one has criticized taking kids on planes, many of us have just pointed out how extremely inconsiderate it is to use a device which makes noise without headphones. If you think other PAX cannot hear it, you are wrong. If your child refuses, then the sound is turned off. How easy is that? Would you rather have a confrontation with another PAX or waste an FA's time having to tell you to turn the sound off?

If you're looking for kid's headphones, I recommend Kidz Gear, which you can find on Amazon, among other places.
I assume you are refering to my post. Which was not only about this thread. Its an overwhelming attitude on the dis regarding parents and children. Which surprises me given the content and purpose of these boards. But that's not the point.

In a perfect world, these inconsiderate parents would be able to perfectly control the behavior of their toddler and this toddler would either use the headphones or not get to watch and would then sit quietly for the rest of the flight. In my world things rarely ever work that way with toddlers.

We're not talking about a 5 year old blaring Mario bros on a nintendo ds on its highest level here. We're talking about a small child listening to a movie or show on a quiet setting. You're on a loud plane, its not like you're in a meditation garden. I do not see this as inconsiderate.

Like I said, its not just this thread. Its an overall vibe on this dis. about who should be considerate of others and who shouldn't.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #35
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt_mom View Post

In a perfect world, these inconsiderate parents would be able to perfectly control the behavior of their toddler and this toddler would either use the headphones or not get to watch and would then sit quietly for the rest of the flight. In my world things rarely ever work that way with toddlers.

We're not talking about a 5 year old blaring Mario bros on a nintendo ds on its highest level here. We're talking about a small child listening to a movie or show on a quiet setting. You're on a loud plane, its not like you're in a meditation garden. I do not see this as inconsiderate.
No one expects children to behave all the time. Sometimes a child is going to lose it and there is nothing anyone can do to stop the meltdown. What I do expect is that the adult in charge of a child does his or her best to supervise and correct undesirable behavior. That's all anyone can ask.

Lots of people traveling are trying to get work done, sleep, or even listen to their own entertainment systems. They don't want to listen to someone else's movie, music or video game. If you don't understand how letting your child use devices which make noise without using headphones is inconsiderate and bothers other people, then I don't know what to say.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #36
Disneyteers
Addicted To The Mouse

As a mother of four I have learned that early flights are best. We usually fly 6am. We get them up around 2 am they are usually still tired. By the time we board the plane they are fast asleep. We also bring hand held leapsters to keep them entertain Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchydee View Post
We leave in 16 days for WDW! I am so excited but it's also hit me that soon I'm going to have to take my 16 month old DD on a plane! She is very energetic and not one to sit for long. Im following all the tips I've read and packing a bag with snacks and plenty of small new toys for her. I guess I just want some reassurance that I'm going to survive this LOL my doctor said to give her some Benadryl but I really don't want her to start off our vacation drowsy and out of it. Any other tips anyone could give would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #37
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

FWIW most airlines require the use of headphones for electronic equpment - so IMHO if you are prepared and prepare your child you can avoid a potential problem. My kids knew that on the airplane the movie had no sound unless they wore headphones - their choice.

Walmart and Target have some childrens headphones with characters or without in smaller sizes for comfort.

From american airlines website - most other airlines have the same/similar rules -

"Equipment/Personal Devices:

You may use audio and video devices only with a headset. Use of still and video cameras, film or digital, is permitted only for recording personal events. Photography or video recording of airline personnel, equipment, or procedures is strictly prohibited.*

Note: Hearing aids, cochlear implants, heart pacemakers, or approved medical devices such as ventilators and respirators are accepted during all phases of flight.

*The electronic device policy may vary on American Eagle and AmericanConnection. Please see a flight attendant for specifics."

Many of us have kids and have been there done that so the advice is not sugar coated. I don't mind kids on flights at all - I love to hear the babble, the mom telling stories and playing peek a boo! Dora the explora, not so much anymore Everyone knows when parents are trying and when they are tuned out - when they are anxious about little Bobby kicking the seat and when they don't care or think its funny....

It isn't easy travling these days but to be prepared definatley helps as the OP is trying to be. Bring a big bag of tricks, snacks and small quiet toys - remember that you are the best toy of all - finger games, peek a boo etc.
Once my dd at 15 mos played with a roll of scotch tape for an entire 4 hour flight so you just never know. Stickers and a removable book were a big hit at that age as were pipe cleaners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt_mom View Post
I assume you are refering to my post. Which was not only about this thread. Its an overwhelming attitude on the dis regarding parents and children. Which surprises me given the content and purpose of these boards. But that's not the point.

Like I said, its not just this thread. Its an overall vibe on this dis. about who should be considerate of others and who shouldn't.

tjmw2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #38
2Pirates2Princesses
DIS Veteran

Our flight to Orlando for our WDW trip last year was our kids first time on an airplane. We were so worried about how our youngest DS (who was 2 years old at the time) would behave on the plane. We packed all kinds of little snacks, sticker books, and new dollar store type toys to keep him and our 4 year old occupied. The funny thing is that we did all that worrying for nothing as he fell asleep ten minutes into the flight and slept until the flight ended a little over two hours later; and this happened on both flights Like other posters mentioned, I wouldn't worry too much about this as flights to Orlando are going to have a good number of families with toddlers and small children on them, so you will definitely be in good company. Have a magical trip
2Pirates2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #39
MScott1851
Got a link for those Trip Reports? ;)
Type A Travel Planner
I'm a complete sucker for a drop dead gorgeous dress and strappy heels

There are plenty of games for iPads that require no sound...I downloaded some coloring apps, packed snacks @ new cheap toys. DD never even cared about any of them other than the new blanket I brought along, we played a lot of peekaboo!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #40
Queen2PrincessG
DIS Veteran

Headphones, snacks IPAD.

We always book our flight early in the am so DD will take a nap.

Queen2PrincessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #41
Alexsandra
Proud mom of two redheads

Well I brought headphones for my kids but my then 13 month old wanted noting to do with them and wanted to watch his movie in peace. I just put the movie on low volume and with the hum of the engine, it bothered no one. I still think a happy baby calmly watching a show that is playing softly is much better than a screaming crying one. Sometimes as a parent you have to improvise. We also fly early in the day and avoid night flights. Flying with young children is not easy but I have learnt that the passengers around us are happier when the child is happy! I travel to Asia and Europe all the time for work and my mom worked for an airline for 25 years. Trust me, the air stewardesses wil not complain if your kid is sitting quietly with your I-pad playing on low!
Alexsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:51 AM   #42
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsandra View Post
Well I brought headphones for my kids but my then 13 month old wanted noting to do with them and wanted to watch his movie in peace. I just put the movie on low volume and with the hum of the engine, it bothered no one. I still think a happy baby calmly watching a show that is playing softly is much better than a screaming crying one. Sometimes as a parent you have to improvise. We also fly early in the day and avoid night flights. Flying with young children is not easy but I have learnt that the passengers around us are happier when the child is happy! I travel to Asia and Europe all the time for work and my mom worked for an airline for 25 years. Trust me, the air stewardesses wil not complain if your kid is sitting quietly with your I-pad playing on low!
But if another flyer complains, you will be made to turn the volume off. No question. Why not start as you mean to go? That means following the rules which is no volume unless you use headphones. Being mid flight and then having to explain to your child why they all of a sudden can't watch and listen to their video would be a nightmare!

Keep in mind too that you can only use electronics when you are allowed to. If you have a relatively short flight that can be a good chunk of the time. You need other ways to keep your child occupied besides something electronic. Kids don't have to have a movie or handheld game to make them happy.

As a parent it is your job to keep your children happy, following the rules set by the airline. If a person can't manage that, then maybe they need to rethink flying. *We all know that kids can start out happy and have a meltdown 10 seconds later. Some stuff you can't help. But when you know what the rules are ahead of time, there really is no excuse for thinking they don't apply to you. If your child simply won't use headphones then you should come up with different ways to keep them occupied ahead of time. Not hope that you can get away without following the rules.

Last edited by maxiesmom; 10-04-2012 at 06:02 AM.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #43
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsandra View Post
They are flight attendants, not stewardesses.

You may think no PAX were bothered by your video, you are wrong. A lot of people don't want to confront rude PAX and will suffer in silence. Trust me, if sometime complains to a FA about the noise of your video, they will ask you to use headphones or turn off the sound. Please be a considerate flyer.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #44
kamik86
DIS Veteran

One thing if your child does start crying or acting up don't spend the entire rest of the flight talking over the child every two seconds. Its more annoying then the crying child. By all means try to comfort them but if your just going to yell "Please stop crying" or "shush" don't bother.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #45
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
But if another flyer complains, you will be made to turn the volume off. No question. Why not start as you mean to go? That means following the rules which is no volume unless you use headphones. Being mid flight and then having to explain to your child why they all of a sudden can't watch and listen to their video would be a nightmare!

Keep in mind too that you can only use electronics when you are allowed to. If you have a relatively short flight that can be a good chunk of the time. You need other ways to keep your child occupied besides something electronic. Kids don't have to have a movie or handheld game to make them happy.

As a parent it is your job to keep your children happy, following the rules set by the airline. If a person can't manage that, then maybe they need to rethink flying. *We all know that kids can start out happy and have a meltdown 10 seconds later. Some stuff you can't help. But when you know what the rules are ahead of time, there really is no excuse for thinking they don't apply to you. If your child simply won't use headphones then you should come up with different ways to keep them occupied ahead of time. Not hope that you can get away without following the rules.
I agree! I was one of those passengers who complained about a kid's DVD player on a flight last Dec. I hate flying anyway and usually try to go to sleep as soon as I can, after take off. The kid behind me was listening to some beeping, clapping, honking DVD. Not sure what it was, but it was driving me bonkers. I gave the parents the stink eye a couple of times, then politely asked them to cut it off, then finally called a FA to handle it. The mom tried to say they had it set on low. Excuse me, but if I can hear it in the seat ahead of you, it is too loud. The FA told her they had to use headphones for all electronic equipment or it had to be cut off. Guess what, the mom found something else to occupy the kid and we all had a fairly quiet flight and the kid survived without disturbing everyone on the plane. The person sitting next to me thanked me and said that thing was getting on his last nerve too and he couldn't believe some parents thought it was OK to play a DVD without headphones for their kid, as no one else wants to hear those things for two hours.

Last edited by aubriee; 10-04-2012 at 08:25 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: