Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #16
MYD714
Please stand clear of the doors...

We had a great meal at Sci-fi this summer. I hadn't been there in about 14 years; my husband isn't a Sci-fi fan, and never wanted to eat there. I had never been blown away by it, but we loved it on this trip. We actually found ourselves craving it the next day. It was one of our most relaxing meals. Therefore, it gets my vote.

We've grown increasingly disappointed in Tony's and didn't even give it a try this year.

MYD714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #17
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Another vote for Sci-fi! I didn't love my food but it was decent and the atmosphere was unique and fun!
loveshak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #18
Dalamara
Mouseketeer

Sci-Fi!! Better than decent food IMHO, my family quite enjoyed the food there. Plus, the atmosphere is just so much fun! We've always had attentive, friendly servers as well.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #19
RapunzelFloyd
Mouseketeer

We are thinking Sci Fi, should we get a reservation or can we just walk in for lunch?

Check out my blogwww.rapunzelscrafts.weebly.com
DLR- 31st birthday & proposal- August 2011
WDW-AOA- 1 year Anniversary- March 2013
DLP- September 2013
Disneyworld Beach Club and First Dream Cruise- June 2014
RapunzelFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #20
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Get a reservation. You are running the risk that you won't get in for lunch at the time you want.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #21
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapunzelFloyd View Post
We are thinking Sci Fi, should we get a reservation or can we just walk in for lunch?
Get a reservation. I don't know if it's true but I heard or read somewhere that the people with reservations get the first shot at the seats in the cars. Walk-ins get sat at the back tables if the cars are full. I think the reservation is better assurance for a car.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #22
klinlin
Mom to the T N T boys!

You absolutely need a reservation. We have seen many walk ups turned away. It's a lot of fun!
1993 Port Orleans FQ
1996 Caribbean Beach
2000 Coronado Springs (Honeymoon!)
2005 WL November kids first trip!
2007 Thanksgiving at BC with a discount and an upgrade!!!
2010 10th anniversary CL at BC
[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/b40ji5iy0ugptltb.png[/img]
klinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #23
LauraLouLovesPooh
Mouseketeer

I always suggest a reservation!! Sci-Fi is a GREAT place to eat, the atmosphere is one of my favorites.
PaulLaura
LauraLouLovesPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #24
Missypyxi
Mouseketeer

I'd really love to try this on our upcoming February trip, but DS, who is 5, is still wary of scary images. He doesn't quite get real vs. fake, not even in the case of extreme cheesiness that's presented in the sci fi trailers like the ones they show on the big screen. I think he'd really love the concept though, and I can't really find anyplace to use our remaining TS on our DHS day....

Thoughts? Suggestions?

PS I'm fairly new to the boards here and was unsure whether its better to ask in an existing thread or make my own.
Missypyxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #25
tb1972
DIS Veteran

Sci Fi hands down! Unique atmosphere and good food.

Tony's is terrible!

tb1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #26
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missypyxi View Post
I'd really love to try this on our upcoming February trip, but DS, who is 5, is still wary of scary images. He doesn't quite get real vs. fake, not even in the case of extreme cheesiness that's presented in the sci fi trailers like the ones they show on the big screen. I think he'd really love the concept though, and I can't really find anyplace to use our remaining TS on our DHS day....

Thoughts? Suggestions?

PS I'm fairly new to the boards here and was unsure whether its better to ask in an existing thread or make my own.
I probably am not the best person to comment on this because I don't have kids but with that disclosure I'd say that the restaurant, while somewhat dimly lit, is not like a dark theater. There's a lot going on in there and other noises that the movie screen after a few minutes doesn't seem like the central focus. There are lots of other cars there and the waiters and the food - plenty to distract a kid. And it sounds like you already know it but the movies are very cheesy but I understand your sensitivites and if in doubt then you should go with your instincts! 50's Primetime is also a fun place and has a unique feel to it. I actually think their food is better.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #27
Dalamara
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missypyxi

Thoughts? Suggestions?

My 3 year old niece was with me on my last trip, and she LOVED it, she got to sit in the front and "drive" the car. There were no issues with the darkness or scary images or anything.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #28
TeresaZ
Mouseketeer

Wow! Thanks y'all! I totally didn't think it would be so overwhelming a response for one restaurant!

Thanks so much! Sci-Fi here welcome! (I'm about to cancel a noon residue at Tony's for Tuesday, oct 9 if anyone is looking! Lol)

Former cast member: Summers of 1995 and 1996.; Daughter's first trip: Old Key West - Dec. 4-11, 2010; Princess 1/2 marathon weekend: Off site - Feb. 25 to March 4 2011; Expedition Everest Challenge with my best friend: Animal Kingdom Lodge May 5 to May 8, 2011; 2012 Princess 1/2 Marathon Weekend:Caribbean Beach - Feb. 24 to Feb. 28, 2012; Family Vacation! Animal Kingdom /Jambo House - Oct. 8-15, 2012; Caribbean Beach, 2013 Princess 1/2 Marathon Weekend: Feb. 21-Feb. 26; Twilight Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend: Oct. 4-Oct. 8.
TeresaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #29
Missypyxi
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your responses, everyone! I think we're going to skip it. I talked to DS yesterday about it and he didn't seem keen on the idea. Sorry to hijack your thread, Teresa! Hope you LOVE it there, it looks like so much fun!

FairyDawn on Etsy
Missypyxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #30
frannn
please stop the madnesssss already & tag me
From the TF...someone pls call 911 for Frann, she held her breath until I tagged her and she apparently turned blue and fell down. :)

Just wanted to add a vote for Sci Fi

We've eaten at both, and repeated both last month. Tony's was just not good. Sci Fi is a must do for DD10. While I thought the buffalo chicken stuffed potatoe appetizer was disgusting, the entree (shrimp pasta), and desert were delicious. We'll just skip the appy next year.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: