Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #1111
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

Sheepishly posting after being AWOL

I think we agree that one of the things we like best about this thread is how much we learn from it. I have to share my thanks and "warn" others who may have missed one of the previous "lessons".

My son has asked me to make a slipcover for a loveseat he bought secondhand. Who wouldn't love to do that, especially if the loveseat is in California, and me and my little ole sewing machine are in New York!

I went to Joann today to get some snap tape to use on the cushion covers. I couldn't find the price on the shelf and even though I had a 40% coupon, I asked the price before getting it cut because I remember reading here once upon a time that it's expensive. Did you know it's $9.99 a yard???? I'm so glad the little voice told me to ask before getting it cut. It was going to get two yards. (Instead I went to Plan B.) You've been warned.

I've been enjoying your creations. I hate to comment on some and not all, so please forgive my neglect. At the risk of leaving out some worthy outfits, I need to comment on a few.

VBAndrea -- your daughter's macaw outfit for the Tiki Room is over the top amazing. Hope you can get ADRs there for your next trip.

miprender -- you manged quite well without the black polka dot fabric you sent me. Don't bother to take your camera on your trip because I'll be stalking you and taking photos. I can't imagine the hours you put into the outfits.

Dustykins - your kin look amazing (not dusty at all ) and the wedding photos are wonderful. My buucket list includes going to a wedding at WDW (or DL or DLP or cruise) but I'm not quite sure how to make that one happen.

PurpleEars -- your dresses and skirt look great in action. I read you were sick, but since I've been slacking I don't know if that affected your Alaska cruise. We just got back last week and had a wonderful time. We saw whales and moose, but not bears, and apparently we were also lucky that we got to see Denali (Mt McKinley) on a non-foggy day.

dianemom2 -- Wow. You're always coming up with something different.

My sincere apologies to any I have neglected. It's me, not you.

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
aboveH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #1112
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
Wow Flora! I just love these! They all turned out so well. I think it is very clever how your re-purposed the one dress into another one that works better too. And I love seeing the pictures of you and the dresses in action. It looks like it was a super trip!

Sorry you've been feeling so under the weather. I'd been wondering where you've been! I hope you found the library book and that you are feeling much better today.

Awww, glad that you like it!

Luckily my husband doesn't notice anything like that so it isn't an issue. He finally noticed the quantity of fabric that I own when he came down to my sewing room over the summer. Have a wonderful, fun vacation! Make sure to take lots of pictures of those adorable shirts in action!

Love the shots of your costumes and the bowling shirt in action. It sounds like you had a fun vacation even though the Halloween party was so packed. I'm sure that the long lines and crowds made it less enjoyable.

I just finished this dress today. I had it 99% done but the shirring on one sleeve didn't work right. I had run out of elastic thread and changed to a different brand when I did that one sleeve. Well, the new brand didn't work well. Today I went to Joanns and bought the Dritz elastic that I've always used. It worked great and I was able to finish this set up.

That is a very cute dress. I recently tried shirring for the first time and was very pleased with the results, I think I used Dritz elastic also.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #1113
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Has anyone made a Dslr camera strap cover....if so can you recommend a pattern please
Old 10-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #1114
Ahrizel
Mouseketeer

Well I finally finished my Disney sewing! We love on Saturday, it's about time. This one is picture heavy. First, someone just asked about a dlsr camera strap cover- http://www.lbg-studio.com/2010/08/tu...with-lens.html This is the one I used for this

Shirt for the 4 of us for the MNSSHP

treat bags to match

Shirts for just dh and I for the 2nd party

treat bags to match these too

And a Snow White inspired peasant top for me
Don't mind the pictures, what looks red is actually orange. These aren't as fancy as I would like, but we have our party supplies at least.
Mary
Ahrizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #1115
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Dustykins: are the bridesmaids' dresses infinity dresses, or just different patterns in the same colors? They all look great! LOL about never seeing the front of the shirts, isn't that just like a boy?

Purpleears: i remember all those skirts and dresses from hanger pictures and they look soo much better on you. I don't have kids either, but I never seem to get around to sewing for myself. But my DH actually encourages me with my hobbies, so more often then not he's asking me what project I'm working on.
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS 2014: Sick Trip
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #1116
Dustykins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmess View Post
Dustykins: are the bridesmaids' dresses infinity dresses, or just different patterns in the same colors? They all look great! LOL about never seeing the front of the shirts, isn't that just like a boy?
They're infinity dresses. It would have been too hard to fit all those girls otherwise - we had three from IL, three from FL, one from NJ and one from the Netherlands, in other words, impossible. (I'm one of the 3 from IL).
Old 10-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #1117
Meshell2002
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone! Just stopping by to read and catch up....I've been MIA for about 6 mos....gah can't believe it's been that long! I had a long 1st and 2nd trimester, and then DS5 started school, so I've not been online much. Now that I'm 37 weeks preggo.....I'm spending more time at home because well I'm just ready to have this baby girl so I can recooperate in time for the holidays. If DH job isn't disintegrated at the end of the year we hope to plan another trip for a year from now....during next years fall break.

.....anyway...off to read to look at some cute pictures of stuff!
Old 10-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #1118
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
My son has asked me to make a slipcover for a loveseat he bought secondhand. Who wouldn't love to do that, especially if the loveseat is in California, and me and my little ole sewing machine are in New York!

I went to Joann today to get some snap tape to use on the cushion covers. I couldn't find the price on the shelf and even though I had a 40% coupon, I asked the price before getting it cut because I remember reading here once upon a time that it's expensive. Did you know it's $9.99 a yard???? I'm so glad the little voice told me to ask before getting it cut. It was going to get two yards. (Instead I went to Plan B.) You've been warned.

We just got back last week and had a wonderful time. We saw whales and moose, but not bears, and apparently we were also lucky that we got to see Denali (Mt McKinley) on a non-foggy day.
I've never made a slipcover before but I think I'd go with velcro since it must be a LOT cheaper than snap tape. You are such a good mother for making a slipcover. I think I would have ordered one of those generic ones from JC Penney's and had it delivered.

Did you have a good trip to Alaska? Did you get to see the aurora borealis? We got lucky with a good view of Mt. McKinley as well and we felt very lucky. We flew into Fairbanks so we got to see if from the sky too. We also saw whales and moose but not bears. We did see a ton of bears when we went to Yellowstone though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love to stitch View Post
That is a very cute dress. I recently tried shirring for the first time and was very pleased with the results, I think I used Dritz elastic also.
I was always afraid to try shirring but it is actually very easy and I love doing it now. I love the way it turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshell2002 View Post
Hi everyone! Just stopping by to read and catch up....I've been MIA for about 6 mos....gah can't believe it's been that long! I had a long 1st and 2nd trimester, and then DS5 started school, so I've not been online much. Now that I'm 37 weeks preggo.....I'm spending more time at home because well I'm just ready to have this baby girl so I can recooperate in time for the holidays. If DH job isn't disintegrated at the end of the year we hope to plan another trip for a year from now....during next years fall break.
I didn't realize that you were so far along already! Time really flies when it isn't your pregnancy. I hope that everything goes very smoothly with the birth and bringing her home. Have you made some new things for her yet?

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #1119
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

I've finished my sewing for our trip that is a little over a week away.

These are the shirts for my grandson.

And dresses for my granddaughter.

I decided to make myself a new purse for the trip and my granddaughter decided she needed one too.

My daughter did tie-dye shirts for all of us to wear one day. Maybe she'll post a picture since I don't have one.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #1120
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post

I've been enjoying your creations. I hate to comment on some and not all, so please forgive my neglect. At the risk of leaving out some worthy outfits, I need to comment on a few.

PurpleEars -- your dresses and skirt look great in action. I read you were sick, but since I've been slacking I don't know if that affected your Alaska cruise. We just got back last week and had a wonderful time. We saw whales and moose, but not bears, and apparently we were also lucky that we got to see Denali (Mt McKinley) on a non-foggy day.

My sincere apologies to any I have neglected. It's me, not you.
Thank you for the warning about the snap tape. I hope your son will appreciate the slipcover.

Fortunately(?) I didn't get really sick until after I got back from Alaska. We only saw a very small part of Alaska which sadly did not include Denali. We had a gorgeous day at Ketchikan where it rains 300+ days a year. DH and I will probably go back to Alaska some day, but not on a cruise. We found the room very confining and we simply didn't fit the "mold" - we went and hiked at the ports of call instead of doing the cruise line "recommended" activities. It just felt pretty weird for us when we got back on the ship in our muddy hiking boots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahrizel View Post
Well I finally finished my Disney sewing! We love on Saturday, it's about time. This one is picture heavy. First, someone just asked about a dlsr camera strap cover- http://www.lbg-studio.com/2010/08/tu...with-lens.html This is the one I used for this

Shirt for the 4 of us for the MNSSHP

treat bags to match

Shirts for just dh and I for the 2nd party

treat bags to match these too

And a Snow White inspired peasant top for me
Don't mind the pictures, what looks red is actually orange. These aren't as fancy as I would like, but we have our party supplies at least.
Mary
Looks like you have been busy. I really like the Snow White top and the camera strap. I hope your family will have a great trip! Please come back and share pictures of the outfits in action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmess View Post
Purpleears: i remember all those skirts and dresses from hanger pictures and they look soo much better on you. I don't have kids either, but I never seem to get around to sewing for myself. But my DH actually encourages me with my hobbies, so more often then not he's asking me what project I'm working on.
Thanks. I actually don't sew for myself much as most of my sewing is done for the Gives. These days I hardly have enough energy to sew so any sewing I do, I do for the Gives. I think it's great that your DH encourages you with your hobbies. Mine doesn't ask me what project I am working on but he will comment on the finished products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshell2002 View Post

.....anyway...off to read to look at some cute pictures of stuff!
Welcome back! I hope the reminder of the pregnancy will go smoothly.

Quote:

I decided to make myself a new purse for the trip and my granddaughter decided she needed one too.

My daughter did tie-dye shirts for all of us to wear one day. Maybe she'll post a picture since I don't have one.
Great job on the outfits. I really like the Tigger shirt and the purses. I hope your family will have a wonderful trip!

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)

Last edited by PurpleEars; 10-04-2012 at 10:20 PM.
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #1121
ncmomof2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

All great! What pattern is the minnie dress?

Me: : DH: DS12: DS10: DD7: DD5:

DCL 12/15, DW 10/15, DW 9/14, DCL 12/13, DW 9/13, DL 12/12,, DW 9/12, DW 9/11, DW 9/10, DW 9/09, DW 9/08, DW 9/07, DW 12/06, DW 9/05

ncmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #1122
ColonelHathi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockey
Has anyone made a Dslr camera strap cover....if so can you recommend a pattern please
I have! I found a free tute online via google search, but really, don't even think you need that. Just measure the length of the strap you want covered add seam allowances, iron on some lightweight interfacing on the fabric back, hem the narrow ends, sew the sides together right sides facing, turn inside out.

pieces are about 26" long x 3" wide using 1/4" seam allowances on sides, 1/2" for hen on ends. Cut 2 (both fabric and interfacing).

Not uber fancy, I just have used cotton but you could use minke - with some cute fabric they turn out cute. I got a little fancy on my last one and made it patch work, turned out way cute.

August/September 2015 ~ POLY
October 2013 ~ CSR/POR

Jungle Cruise Skipper ~ Spring CP, Summer Seasonal 1995
ColonelHathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #1123
ColonelHathi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelHathi
1/2" for hen on ends.
HEM that is! Lol!!!

August/September 2015 ~ POLY
October 2013 ~ CSR/POR

Jungle Cruise Skipper ~ Spring CP, Summer Seasonal 1995
ColonelHathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #1124
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:

The Woody and Tigger shirts are great. Makes me want to make some more for my DS.

I love the Minnie dress. I think I have that pattern but haven't decided what to use to make it yet, I like how you did it. The Cinderella dress is adorable also.

I haven't tried a purse yet but small totes are on the list this month since they need to be done for Halloween. I just bought some reflective ribbon to add to them too.

It's so nice to be back home, now I just need to get my stuff done and I'll be good.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #1125
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the compliments. I am really looking forward to our get away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmomof2 View Post
All great! What pattern is the minnie dress?
The pattern is New Look 6974. This is the 2nd time I've used the pattern and liked it both times.
http://www.simplicity.com/p-5148-toddlers-dresses.aspx

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: