Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
mydisneyfix
Mouseketeer

borrowed wheelchair concerns

We leave in a week. My DH injured his back(herniated disks). We are trying to stay in budget. I found out I could borrow a wheelchair from our Fire Dept. I am worried about it getting stolen. Is that possible? Mainly, IF he is able to do gentle rides how is leaving the wheelchair behind handled? For example, if he uses the alternate entrance for HM or pirates do the CM keep an eye on the chair? Or do I risk someone taking it if we all go on the ride? Do I need a lock of some sort? I can't replace it if it gets stolen. Sorry if these questions are naive, I have never had to deal with this before. Thanks. :-)
mydisneyfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

As for gentle rides, there are very few rides where a wheel chair could be stolen. For the most part they are kept in locations where a person cannot get to them while the ride is operating and the CMs know which vehicle had a wheelchair.

The places where it could be possible (but still unlikely) are:
HM - Only if you don't take the wheelchair inside the building.
JC - It is off to the side and the number of people getting off the ride at once could make it difficult for the CMs to keep track.
Tiki Room - If you don't use the lift to take the wheel chair in.
Splash Mountain
Sailing Ship Columbia (requires stairs to board, so the wheel chair cannot be taken on board)
All of Fantasyland (this is very unlikely though, as the wheelchair vehicles are electronically marked, so they know who the wheelchair belongs to, this is actually true for most attractions as well)
Luigi's Flying Tires (if you transfer)
Maters

Again, this is highly unlikely, as there are safegaurds in place to prevent it, I honestly have not heard of a wheelchair being stolen though (strollers, yes, wheelchairs, no). I am not saying it never happens, but we go often and I have not heard of it happening, except with rented wheelchairs and that usually just ends up being someone grabbed the wrong chair.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

In most cases, he would bring the wheelchair all the way to the boarding area, using the regular line. There are very few attractions with alternate entrances.

It would be parked at the exit, or if the entrance is at a different place than the exit, CM's would move it while he is on the ride.
People pretty much leave the wheelchairs at those places alone because they don't know who they belong to or when you will be coming back.

You might also want to check with your home owner's insurance would cover any damages.
You can bring a lock if you like, but you can't lock a wheelchair to anything and it needs to be able to be moved by CMs. Most people don't bother.
You do want to mark it so that it is easy to find and can't be mistaken by someone else qas theirs.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
As for gentle rides, there are very few rides where a wheel chair could be stolen. For the most part they are kept in locations where a person cannot get to them while the ride is operating and the CMs know which vehicle had a wheelchair.

The places where it could be possible (but still unlikely) are:
HM - Only if you don't take the wheelchair inside the building.
JC - It is off to the side and the number of people getting off the ride at once could make it difficult for the CMs to keep track.
Tiki Room - If you don't use the lift to take the wheel chair in.
Splash Mountain
Sailing Ship Columbia (requires stairs to board, so the wheel chair cannot be taken on board)

All of Fantasyland (this is very unlikely though, as the wheelchair vehicles are electronically marked, so they know who the wheelchair belongs to, this is actually true for most attractions as well)
Luigi's Flying Tires (if you transfer)
Maters

Again, this is highly unlikely, as there are safegaurds in place to prevent it, I honestly have not heard of a wheelchair being stolen though (strollers, yes, wheelchairs, no). I am not saying it never happens, but we go often and I have not heard of it happening, except with rented wheelchairs and that usually just ends up being someone grabbed the wrong chair.
The bolded items are at Disneyland; the original poster did not mention whether they will be going to DL or WDW.

Good point about the rented wheelchairs - they are most likely to get taken, because they all look the same and it would be easy to get mixed up.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
bidnow5
DIS Veteran

my first concern would be the wheelchair most likely it has solid wheels. Hard wheels and a bad back can be a big problem the rentals from Disney have air filled tires and give a much smoother ride. I believe the outside rental companies also use air tires. It's a lot less to rent from one of the outside companies listed in the FAQ's at the top of the page.

The walkways are not all smooth especially Animal kingdom

bidnow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
rewardsinlife
Mouseketeer

Put a tag on it somewhere that clearly states its yours...and that is not really easy to take off. If someone intentionally took a wheelchair, I doubt they would get very far. Security cameras are everywhere and I am sure they will find it before they even made it from one 'land' to another. The only one I would really worry about someone taking it would be Haunted mansion since it is outside, and you are obviously inside. Remedy to this is just to take it inside with you.

Most of the areas though where wheelchairs are parked are right by the ride where there are tons of CMs running it and assisting people on and off...plus like a PP said, they mark the ride cars if there is someone who needs more time, used a wc...etc. So, if someone came off a previous ride car and started running away with your chair, that the CM just parked off to the side to wait for your return, I am sure they would use all force necessary to stop them

me on the way to DL...every time!
rewardsinlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
mydisneyfix
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidnow5
my first concern would be the wheelchair most likely it has solid wheels. Hard wheels and a bad back can be a big problem the rentals from Disney have air filled tires and give a much smoother ride. I believe the outside rental companies also use air tires. It's a lot less to rent from one of the outside companies listed in the FAQ's at the top of the page.

The walkways are not all smooth especially Animal kingdom
Oh. I didn't think about the wheels. We are going to DL. I think tommorow we will try a test walk around the block. I am prepared to rent if need be.
mydisneyfix is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: