Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #31
MouseyMin
DIS Veteran

I use hand sanitizer and then go straight to the restroom after the finger scan at the entrance to the parks. Imagine what's on those machines!!!
MouseyMin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #32
Bagheera23608
Bagheera23608

*sigh* Hand sanitizers are anti-BACTERIAL. Most bugs going around are VIRAL. You can use hand sanitizer till you are blue in the face and you can stil catch a virus. Now the good news is that you shouldn't get a bacterial infection,

I do use the stuff and I will be bringing it with me next time, mostly because it just makes me feel better to use, a placebo thing. I've worked with kids all day long for years now and I still get sick from time to time. In WDW you are exposed to so many viruses and infections you have no immunity too on top of being stressed and tired. It's quite surpring more folks don't sick.

Wash your hands, keep em out of your mouth, use your hand sanitizer if you want, but relax and enjoy your trip to WALT DISNEY WORLD.
Bagheera23608 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #33
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseyMin View Post
I use hand sanitizer and then go straight to the restroom after the finger scan at the entrance to the parks. Imagine what's on those machines!!!
The same stuff thats on every other surface that people touch at WDW?
Old 10-03-2012, 02:20 AM   #34
J3nn78
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Despite all the nay-sayers to the effectiveness of hand sanitizers, I and my family will continue to use them.

Have done extensive research at different times and most professionals will agree that - 1. soap & water is the BEST defense against most germs being spread (no contest) and not touching face. 2. When soap & water are not available, hand sanitizer works as a second defense (on otherwise clean hands).

I use it for carts in stores, in restaurants after handling the menu (would you like to guess how *dirty* (germs) menus are?). This is just a few of the circumstances that have been documented that can be substituted for hand washing. How many wash their hands after reading a restaurant menu?

It seems to be working for us for several years now, so until we seem to get more viral illnesses than most around us, we will continue what we are doing. Anyway, to each their own.
Actually, we always do this. We sit down and order and then take turns going to the bathroom to wash.

I never feel clean using sanitizer.

We also head straight to wash up after any interactive rides like Buzz, TSM, etc...

Last edited by J3nn78; 10-03-2012 at 02:26 AM.
J3nn78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #35
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

There is a reason we are seeing so many illnesses nowadays. We never saw this sort of issue 25 years ago. We all ate our 'pound of dirt' so to speak. The human body needs viruses and germs in order to function. But, now we have all these 'super cleansers' that kill everything in sight. And so, we never get exposed to any germs!!! I have a friend who also grabs the Purell as soon as they hand off the menus. Then, again before they actually eat. And??? She hates the public restrooms...breeding grounds for all sorts of bad stuff!!! So, no hand washing going on there!!!
In all reality??? A good thorough hand washing is going to be enough. Teach your kids how to properly wash their hands..it will serve them well all through life.
Do I carry hand sanitizer? Yes, I do. I have a small portable bottle on my handbag. And I usually use it after leaving the grocery store...hate what is probably on those cart handles. Then, a good wash when I get home.
In WDW??? I try to keep my hands off all railings and grab bars. I tend to wash my hands much more often in WDW..maybe it's all the addtl water I drink, so I'm in the bathroom more than usual anyway. Who knows. But, I've never gotten sick at WDW. No one in my family has gotten sick while in WDW. Well, except for the one time my dd got really sick, but that was the day after we arrived...we had gone to the parks for a few hours upon arrival, went to bed, and then headed to DHS for a few hours when she spiked a fever!!! I highly doubt she got anything during those first 18 hrs.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #36
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

I carry the individually packaged Wet Ones towelettes. They have an ingredient that kills the norovirus. I can handle going to the parks with a cold, but not with a norovirus. I don't spend a lot of time washing hands in the parks, and I'm not particular about touching grab bars or rails - I just wash when I happen to be in the restroom, and use a Wet Ones right before dining (after handling any menus).

The only hand sanitizer stand I've seen is at the Contempo Cafe, but I imagine they have them in some other locations. I don't like hand sanitizer myself - I picture myself having hands still covered in dirt and dead germs when I use sanitizer.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #37
dvc one day
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla4fun View Post
I carry the individually packaged Wet Ones towelettes. They have an ingredient that kills the norovirus.
I honestly don't know what is in those towelettes, but the CDC website states that the norovirus can only be killed by a certain concentration of bleach (I don't remember the concentration level required).

Your best hope with the norovirus is that you are one of the approx 30% of people who are asymptomatic once being infected.
dvc one day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #38
lucifie
DIS Veteran

I'm glad they don't have those stations because my kids think they need to stop at them every. single. time they see one. I'm not a germaphobe at all and don't use sanitizer often, but I do use it occasionally. My kids probably have excellent immune systems, even with all the sanitizer they use in school, but what I want to know is why, if hand sanitizer is so bad, does every medical facility have sanitizer every 5 feet?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #39
dvc one day
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifie View Post
if hand sanitizer is so bad, does every medical facility have sanitizer every 5 feet?
I don't think hand sanitizers are bad. If I had to guess about having it every five feet in a medical facility, I would guess it's because doctors and nurses are going from patient to patient and the goal would be to prevent bacteria from transferring between patients.
dvc one day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #40
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran

When did we get so neurotic about germs and bugs? We now have viruses becoming immune to antibiotics because of the over use of them people are worried about touching a menu!!!! I have seen people on this board talking about using sanitising bombs to clean their hotel rooms before sleeping in them. We didn't become the dominant species on the planet by being neurotic lets not risk losing that for a little neurosis.
PaulaSB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:14 AM   #41
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frikadela View Post
Even soap and water can't kill the norovirus. It's the process of scrubbing with soap creating lubrication then washing it away that get it off our hands.... And let me tell you not everyone manages properly. You have to make sure you scrub for at least a minute and make sure you get all areas (backs of hands, in between fingers etc).... And make sure you dry properly.

I'm not a germophobe, but I spent a full day learning this stuff as part of my nursing training!
When I was in nursing school (about 30 years ago), I had an older instructer my first semester that I still remember. We had to get checked off on handwashing technique and she made us sing either the ABCs twice through or two verses of Old McDonald, while we were washing our hands. I hated that check off, not because I didn't know the proper hand washing technique, but that I really can't sing and she made us sing loudly, as we were concentrating on our technique. I no longer sing out loud when I wash my hands, but do think two verses of Old McDonald when I'm washing them. It's funny the things that stick with you through the years. At my current job, we have to go through Refresher training every year on our hire date. One of the courses we have to take is on infection control and we have an answer section that includes the steps of handwashing and one of the questions is how long to rub your hands with soap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifie View Post
I'm glad they don't have those stations because my kids think they need to stop at them every. single. time they see one. I'm not a germaphobe at all and don't use sanitizer often, but I do use it occasionally. My kids probably have excellent immune systems, even with all the sanitizer they use in school, but what I want to know is why, if hand sanitizer is so bad, does every medical facility have sanitizer every 5 feet?
That's funny. I'm at work right now and we have several bottles of hand sanitzer sitting next to every computer in the nurses station, plus a dispenser next to the soap dispenser at every sink, plus several bottles next to the sink in the med room. I'm looking at one not a foot from me right now. Our hospital keeps them sitting around everywhere, where staff always has access, but one of the test questions we have to answer for our refresher training each year has to do with how hand washing is so much better than using hand sanitizer and how hand sanitizer is only to be used when hand washing is not available (yet they keep hand sanitizer in dispensers right next to the soap dispenser at each sink).
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:41 AM   #42
Frikadela
Earning My Ears

The reason we have so many knocking about the wards over here is for convenience. We are taught in infection control that you must wash your hands in between every single patient task. So when your doing the med rounds you dispense to patient 1, wash hands, dispense to patient 2, wash hands and so on. Imagine having to do this for 30 patients on a ward. You'd be at it for hours therefore the powers that be see it as better to wash at the start of the med round, sanitize in between each patient then wash at the end (or when you leave a bay if your ward is set up like that).

Little side note the worst offenders in hospitals for not washing hands or sanitising are doctors.... Their infection control practices are shocking sometimes!
Frikadela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #43
Mom2aJessieGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaSB12 View Post
When did we get so neurotic about germs and bugs? We now have viruses becoming immune to antibiotics because of the over use of them people are worried about touching a menu!!!! I have seen people on this board talking about using sanitising bombs to clean their hotel rooms before sleeping in them. We didn't become the dominant species on the planet by being neurotic lets not risk losing that for a little neurosis.
Viruses are not typically treated with antibiotics. Bacterial Infections are. That's why most doctors won't give you antibiotics if you come in with a virus.
WDW (Dolphin/FW) February 2014; WDW (POP) March 2013 (F&G);WDW (ASsp) January 2013;WDW (POFQ/FW) May 2012 (SWW); WDW (FW) February 2012; WDW (POFQ) November-December 2011 (MVMCP); WDW (POFQ/FW) February 2011; DLR (GCH) August 2010; WDW (WL) Spring 2002; WDW (WL) August 1997; WDW (WL) July 1994; DLR (DLH) Mid 90's; WDW July-August 1991; WDW March 1989; And a couple more for good measure!
Mom2aJessieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #44
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

I carry the Wet Ones wipes and we use those a lot in the parks. Washing hands is most ideal, but the wipes are convenient and are certainly better than doing nothing before you eat.

When washing hands, I do make sure to use hot water (though sometimes it came out just warm) and wash thoroughly. I like those rapid automatic hand dryers and wish all places would have those.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #45
alex9179
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2aJessieGirl View Post
Viruses are not typically treated with antibiotics. Bacterial Infections are. That's why most doctors won't give you antibiotics if you come in with a virus.
I think the poster you quoted just used the wrong words, bacteria is becoming resistant and overuse of ABX is considered one of the reasons.

For a while, docs would write an ABX Rx to appease the patient or parents of the patient, even if a virus was the cause of the illness, like a cold. I saw this first-hand AND heard the docs talk about it.
I think this practice has been largely discontinued because of the fear of super-bugs, but it did happen.

I have a product called Nixall that is supposed to kill a long list, including noroviruses because it's hypochlorous acid, without creating resistance. I don't use it for sanitation, but for healing. We are a soap and water family for general cleanliness.
alex9179 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: