Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
palmtreelover08
DIS Veteran

DD broke her wrist last night- 8 weeks to trip

We are going for a quick 4-day stay the end of November to see the Holiday decor (and of course see the shows, ride the rides-etc). DD fell skating and broke her wrist. We are making an appt. with the orthopedic this morning, but the doc. at ER last night said she will be in a cast 6-8 weeks. 8 weeks puts us at exactly our trip. Two questions:
1- Anyone who has broken your bone- what happens if they leave the cast on an extra week? I am not so sure I want DD getting her cast off, and us heading 1200 miles away the next day.
2-Will Characters sign casts? I understand if they will not for liability concerns, I was just thinking that may help "ease the pain" if she is still in the cast for the trip. Obviously they could sign her autograph book- but she would feel super cool at school with character signatures.

TIA-
palmtreelover08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
mjp12831
DIS Veteran

Daughter broke her arm a few years ago - casts they use now are not a big deal - very light, and even can get a waterproof one that allows swimming. IF she still has it on it shouldn't hinder your trip in the least.

I'd leave it to a Dr to tell you if there are any issues with leaving a cast on for an extra week. I wouldn't imagine it's a big deal. They told my daughter to go easy on the broken arm the first few weeks after the cast came off anyways.

This thread answers your other question about if they will sign casts.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2749195

WDW Commando member #60
mjp12831 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
pixiemeg
Loving the Magic

Me too...

My daughter (10) also broke her wrist. The ER said one time but Ortho kept it on 2 weeks less so maybe you will be lucky. By 8 weeks, cast will be pretty yuck so I think the signing excitment will be gone and you will probably want to toss it when it get off-- stinky. Also, she got it off last Friday and he gave her a brace with velcro so easy to take off and adjust-- no more problems showering! The brace made things very easy and we have that for 2-3 more weeks when we go back for final check. Brace is very easy so if you can get this off and get to the brace, she will probably be much happier. Hope she feels better soon. Good luck with healing and your trip.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
tiggger1
I put vicks on my feet
It really cleans my floors and makes them softer!

try to see if they will give her a waterproof cast for her wrist. my son's ortho told us that he usually recommends them for wrists because they are usually straight casts..my son was in a full arm cast and couldnt get a water proof cast because the water would sit in the elbow part..

another trick ( which the ortho told us) is if the cast is smelly or really itchy...let them know and they will replace it... my son's cast reeked and his palm was a bit red... so they took off the cast, washed his arm with a special antibacterial wash, dried his arm and recasted...and all I had to pay was the copay....( because the doctor needed to check for irritation).
Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
Alesia
DIS Veteran

If they want to take the cast of the day before you leave - let them. I don't really see why it would be a problem. In any case, unless her bones knit unusually slowly, it's probably going to be more like 6 weeks.

Alesia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
ktlm
DIS Veteran

So sorry for your DD! I broke each arm twice as a kid- yep 4 broken arms. Every time the break was around the wrist area. Unless it is a bad break, you are probably looking at 6 weeks in a cast. They usually don't take the cast off unless they are sure it is healed, so I wouldn't worry about it coming off. She should be released for all activity even sports once it is off. Even if they leave it on 8 weeks, I wouldn't worry about it coming off right before your trip. Once they get the cast on her, she probably won't be in any pain anymore. When they take the cast off, her arm will feel weird and a little rubbery/flimsy from lack of use, but that will go away pretty quick as she gets used to using it again.
ktlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
palmtreelover08
DIS Veteran

Thanks for tips and suggestions- and well wishes too! I will ask about waterproof cast- never heard of that.. And for a$10 copay- that would be great to get a fresh cast after a month!-- ewwww
Old 10-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
unbrelievable
Mouseketeer

Yeah like one of the previous posters said unless it's a really bad break, they'll probably only leave it on for six weeks. I know the first time I broke a wrist (I was skating too!) it was only about 4 or 5 weeks. Second time around with a more significant break it was more like 6-7.

On the off chance she still has it one, I have to say a cast with character signatures would certainly be an interesting souvenir!
unbrelievable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
tebookie
WDW FAN

Yesterday at the Lights motors action show the kid volunteer had a cast on both arms! No biggie! Go and enjoy!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
niffer5150
Mouseketeer

DH broke his wrist last year after taking a hockey puck to the wrist. he had multiple fractures and he was in a cast for 1 month before they cut it off and just gave him a splint.
niffer5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Most kids I know who broke their wrist/arms have a 3 week cast, and they can make waterproof casts. I'm betting it's off by then, but if not, they don't seem to slow the kids down much.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #12
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

It depends on what bone is broken. If its the scaphoid, you're looking at 12 weeks in a long arm cast or surgery. I chose the surgery, because the cast drove me nuts after about one week. Plus, I'd be able to get back to work quicker.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
palmtreelover08
DIS Veteran

Thanks again everyone- insurance wouldn't cover the waterproof cast. Doctor said he didn't think it was necessary as it is Fall and she won't be swimming until the trip. He anticipates the cast being off in 5-6 weeks (2-3 weeks before our trip). If for some reason a cast needs to be on longer, he offered to cut off this original one and replace it with a waterproof one (may have to splurge at that point- if it comes to it).

Now I just have to protect the rest of her bones! I'm going to bubble wrap her until after the trip
Old 10-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
TowMater92
Mouseketeer

I shattered my wrist snowboarding and had to have surgery with two pins and I only had my cast on for 4 weeks. Everyone heals differently and kids usually heal quickly so I would think you'll be fine. If for some reason its not healed talk to the Dr, you can probably get the cast changed out right before your trip to a smaller one that won't smell. After 8 weeks the first one will be in rough shape.
TowMater92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #15
mattsdragon
DDC #595
Lookin' for the Bare Necessities

I've broken both forearms and they were both out of the casts in 6 weeks. I've never known anyone who was in a cast for a broken wrist more than 6 weeks. Your daughter will be A-OK.

mattsdragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: