Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #1396
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimTheMouse View Post
I have two questions, and my apologies if they've already been asked. Kinda hard to search through 50+ pages.

Question 1:
Our Southwest Airlines flight arrives (or is supposed to arrive) to Orlando at 9:45pm. I understand DME only operates for guests arriving by 10pm. Assuming we are on-time, that's cutting it pretty close. Do I have anything to worry about? What happens if the flight is delayed and we don't land until, say 10:30pm? What happens? Are we on our own? Will we be inconveniencing other guests?

Question 2:
On departure, most of my party is flying home, but I am staying in Orlando (not on Disney property) for a conference. I would like to ride the DME to the airport to make sure they get off on their flights without problems, then take a cab to my hotel. Do I simply check their bags at the DME bag check but ask the resort to hold my bag(s) for me and then carry my bags on when we all head to the airport?

Thanks for your wisdom!

Jeff
1. DME operates 24/7; what stops at 10:00 is the luggage delivery service. Given how close you'll be landing to 10:00, I would not put the DME tags on your luggage and go to baggage claim and get it yourself.

2. It's actually RAC (resort airline check-in) that is where you go to check your bags for your return flight, but yes, the rest of your party can check their bags and get their boarding passes at RAC, while you can just leave your bags with Bell Services. I'm not sure I understand what you mean though about carrying your bags to the airport. Are you planning to take your bags to the airport even though you won't be flying with the rest of your party? While I suppose you could do that, it seems like a lot of extra work, since you would have to have it loaded on the DME bus, and then unloaded at the airport, and then loaded into a taxi or rental car at the airport. Plus, I would assume that since you won't have a ticket, you won't be able to go with the rest of your party to the gate anyway.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #1397
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Question 1:
Our Southwest Airlines flight arrives (or is supposed to arrive) to Orlando at 9:45pm. I understand DME only operates for guests arriving by 10pm. Assuming we are on-time, that's cutting it pretty close. Do I have anything to worry about? What happens if the flight is delayed and we don't land until, say 10:30pm? What happens? Are we on our own? Will we be inconveniencing other guests?
DME only handles inbound bags for flight arrivals scheduled from 5:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m., but DME transports people 24 hours a day.

With a 9:45 p.m. arrival, it's really your choice.

If you want Disney to handle your bags, attach the yellow tags before you check your bags at your home airport, go straight to the DME Welcome Center when you land (bypassing baggage claim), and be on the first DME coach to your resort. The downside, however, is that your bags might not be delivered to your room until up to 3 hours after you check in at your resort -- when you're likely to want to be asleep. (Some guests get around this by arranging not to have their bags delivered until the next morning. You should have anything you need the first 24 hours in your carry-ons anyway, just in case the airline delays your bags.)

If you don't want Disney to handle your bags, don't use the yellow tags. When you land, go to baggage claim, wait for your bags, and take them to DME with you. This might mean you'll be on a later DME coach. Also, if the airline delays your bags, you'll have to file with the airline and make your own arrangements instead of having Disney handle it.

You raise the issue of a delay. Again, transportation is not an issue.

As far as luggage is concerned, it's only an issue if you used the yellow tags. Even then, I'm sure the DME Welcome Desk deals with this every night. Most likely, if the delay isn't too bad, everything will proceed as planned. If everyone who handles bags for Disney has gone home, the DME Welcome Desk should know the best way to handle it.

Quote:
Question 2:
On departure, most of my party is flying home, but I am staying in Orlando (not on Disney property) for a conference. I would like to ride the DME to the airport to make sure they get off on their flights without problems, then take a cab to my hotel. Do I simply check their bags at the DME bag check but ask the resort to hold my bag(s) for me and then carry my bags on when we all head to the airport?
Yes. That would work perfectly. To be on the same DME coach as the others, reserve DME as though you're going on the same flight (even though you're not flying that day). The others in your party will use RAC. You'll take your bags with you on the DME coach (after having them temporarily held by bell services at your resort). When all of you get to the airport, the others will head to their gate and you'll take a cab to your Orlando-area conference hotel with your luggage. This isn't cheating. You're allowed to take DME to the airport. DME is a function of your WDW resort stay, not of your airline or flight.

If your conference is at an airport-area hotel, you'll even save fair amount of money doing this.

Last edited by Horace Horsecollar; 09-19-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Horace Horsecollar is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #1398
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimTheMouse
I have two questions, and my apologies if they've already been asked. Kinda hard to search through 50+ pages.

Question 1:

Question 2:

Thanks for your wisdom!

Jeff
On #1, DME itself runs past 10pm, but the luggage service does not. So in your case it may be best to not use the yellow luggage tags for delivery, retrieve them yourself, and take them to the bus.

On #2, yes!

WDW: 17 | DLR: 3 | DCL: 2
Next: Feb 2015 Disney Magic
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #1399
ZimTheMouse
Earning My Ears

Wow! Thanks for the great feedback!! Much appreciated!

1972 - Disneyland
'80s, '90s - WDW (Multiple Offsite, POR, CBR)
Sep '03 Port Orleans Riverside
Dec '04 - Beach Club
Jun '05 - Disneyland
Dec '11 - Coronado Springs
Feb '12 - Disneyland
Oct '12 - Art of Animation - Little Mermaid
May '13 - Caribbean Beach Resort
Feb '14 - Offsite (Buena Vista Palace) and POFQ
ZimTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #1400
andijean
professional DIS lurker

I looked through quite a few pages and could not find the answer to this question, so I apologize if it is a duplicate. In the past, we have always used DME to its fullest. I think it is one of the best features of vacationing at Disney. This time we are renting a car to go to Legoland and the cheapest was through the airport companies. I have the logistics all set for arriving, but not our return. Can I use RAC and not use DME? What I mean is can I check my bags and myself in at the hotel for our departure, but then not get on the bus and instead we all pile into the car later that afternoon for our flight out of MCO? Does that make sense? I was just thinking it would be great to not have to worry about checking our own bags in and schleping them through the airport.

May 14 - Disney Hilton Head, Oct 12- Bay Lake Tower & Beach Club, Aug 11- Disney Hilton Head, Oct 10- Bay Lake Tower, Nov 09- Bay Lake Tower, Dec 07- Beach Club, Dec 05- Coronado Springs, Feb 04- Westgate Villas, Mar 02- Radisson Pkwy, Jan 94 and many times as child

andijean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #1401
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andijean View Post
I looked through quite a few pages and could not find the answer to this question, so I apologize if it is a duplicate. In the past, we have always used DME to its fullest. I think it is one of the best features of vacationing at Disney. This time we are renting a car to go to Legoland and the cheapest was through the airport companies. I have the logistics all set for arriving, but not our return. Can I use RAC and not use DME? What I mean is can I check my bags and myself in at the hotel for our departure, but then not get on the bus and instead we all pile into the car later that afternoon for our flight out of MCO? Does that make sense? I was just thinking it would be great to not have to worry about checking our own bags in and schleping them through the airport.
Yep. RAC and DME are completely separate. There's no problem using one without the other.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #1402
Horace Horsecollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by andijean View Post
Can I use RAC and not use DME?
Yes. Disney officially allows this for RAC (remote skycap service with check-in and outbound luggage service).

Disney's DME FAQ used to say that RAC could be used without riding back on DME. It no longer says that explicitly, but the details about RAC say nothing about using DME.

In contrast, for inbound baggage service, it now says, "Please note that you cannot reserve the luggage service exclusively. You must be present on the motorcoach to have your luggage transported to a Walt Disney World hotel."
Old 10-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #1403
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

As long as you are using RAC at the resort you are paying to stay at, you're fine. That is pretty much the only qualification.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #1404
MADnNOLA
DIS Veteran

I received my ME tickets and they have the incorrect arrival date. I had originally planned on arriving Oct 11th, but plans changed and I am now arriving Oct 10th. I called Reservations and made the reservation and ME change, no problem. I received my updated reservation/voucher booklet, but no updated ME ticket. Will there be any issues with this?

Thanks!
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails." - Samuel L. Clemens

MADnNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #1405
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADnNOLA View Post
I received my ME tickets and they have the incorrect arrival date. I had originally planned on arriving Oct 11th, but plans changed and I am now arriving Oct 10th. I called Reservations and made the reservation and ME change, no problem. I received my updated reservation/voucher booklet, but no updated ME ticket. Will there be any issues with this?

Thanks!
If you mean the yellow DME luggage sticker tags don't have the correct date, I think you're fine. The tags have your name and reservation on them, and so I'd expect the luggage service will divert and transport any yellow-tagged bags to the appropriate Disney resort, even if the date doesn't match.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 3 | DCL: 2
Next: Feb 2015 Disney Magic
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #1406
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran

Is this allowed? We rented a car but also made reservations for the DME. However, we have errands to run near the airport so we wanted to know if we could use the yellow tags to have our luggage sent to the resort but drive to the resort in our rental car? Sorry if this has been answered before.
DisneyFansInLINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #1407
Horace Horsecollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFansInLINY View Post
Is this allowed? We rented a car but also made reservations for the DME. However, we have errands to run near the airport so we wanted to know if we could use the yellow tags to have our luggage sent to the resort but drive to the resort in our rental car? Sorry if this has been answered before.
Officially, the answer is no.

Disney even changed the wording on their official instructions, "Complimentary Airport Transportation Service - Disney's Magical Express Transportation." As of right now (4:00 p.m. EDT on October 18, 2012), here's what it says:
Please note that you cannot reserve the luggage service exclusively. You must be present on the motorcoach to have your luggage transported to a Walt Disney World hotel.
That said, people have done what you're suggesting, and this topic is the subject of its own "sticky" thread:
Guidelines regarding DME and luggage only...
This sticky thread was started way back on Nov. 21, 2008. You can read this whole sticky thread, if you wish, to get opinions and experiences. You can decide for yourself if it's a good idea (or not) to expect Disney to deliver your bags to your room without using the transportation service, and whether it's ethical to do so.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #1408
saturdaygirl
Mouseketeer

when i booked my package, i picked to use the dme, but our flight hadn't been booked yet. whenever i tried to look where to put in our flight info, i couldn't find it and now i've read that we would need reservations 10 days prior to arriving. we leave in 3 days! i've got the tags and everything, do i need to call someone? or just go to the airport as usual?

saturdaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #1409
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturdaygirl View Post
when i booked my package, i picked to use the dme, but our flight hadn't been booked yet. whenever i tried to look where to put in our flight info, i couldn't find it and now i've read that we would need reservations 10 days prior to arriving. we leave in 3 days! i've got the tags and everything, do i need to call someone? or just go to the airport as usual?
If you have the DME tags (the yellow sticky tags, not the plastic souvenir tags) and vouchers (in the DME booklet), you are all set. DME likes to have flight information for scheduling purposes, but it's really not necessary for your inbound flight. They will need your return flight info in order to schedule your resort pickup, however.

Call (407) WDW-MAGIC or (407) 939-6244 and see if they can help you.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #1410
saturdaygirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
If you have the DME tags (the yellow sticky tags, not the plastic souvenir tags) and vouchers (in the DME booklet), you are all set. DME likes to have flight information for scheduling purposes, but it's really not necessary for your inbound flight. They will need your return flight info in order to schedule your resort pickup, however.

Call (407) WDW-MAGIC or (407) 939-6244 and see if they can help you.
okay, thank you!

saturdaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: