Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
diddldonna
DIS Veteran

Gatwick airport hotels

We are planning on traveling to gatwick by train and doing twilight check in, then spend night in hotel. What hotels are really close to gatwick south? Like within walking distance to save on transfer costs.

Past WDW Vacations: 2013 OKW, 2010 OKW, 2007 ASM, 2005 ASM, 2004 off site.
diddldonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #2
madmumof2
DIS Veteran

The Hilton and Sofitel are the most popular. We stayed at the sofitel last time and it was stunning. Both are quite expensive though.

This time were staying in days hotel which ipwas free with airmiles, cheap without, and they provide free transport to gatwick too which is only about 5 minutes away

Oct 2012 - 2 weeks Southern Dunes+1 night at the Hard Rock Hotel!
Oct 2009 - 2 weeks Pop Century
Jan 2000 - 2 weeks Ramada Inn International Drive
Oct/Nov 1995 - 5 weeks Lindfields Villa, Kissimmee
madmumof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 03:45 AM   #3
mrtoffee
Mouseketeer

We always use the Hilton as it is joined to the South terminal by a walkway and is so simple for both twilight check in and the morning of the flight. I booked through virgin atlantic's frequent flyer club as they had the best price at the time, which was £89 for a family of 4.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:15 AM   #4
madmumof2
DIS Veteran

Wow, Sofitel was quoting us over £200 this time! I would have loved to stay there again but no way am I paying that ridiculous price for one night

Old 10-03-2012, 04:31 AM   #5
OrlandoMagic
DIS Veteran

You are better off staying in a hotel close to, but not at the airport. We were looking at the Hilton and Sofitel but couldn't justify the cost.

We have booked the Premier Inn Manor Royal, rated no.1 hotel in Crawley. Only cost us £39 for the night and the shuttles will cost £3 each so a total of £45 which I think is a bargin!

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...x_England.html

Jul 2000 - Villa, Kissimmee ~ May 2008 - Best Western, I Drive ~ Sept 2009 - Saratoga Springs & Portofino Bay Hotel ~ Sept 2011 - Saratoga Springs & Dream Cruise ~Nov 2012 Legacy Vacation Resorts, LBV & Fantasy Cruise ~ Sept 2013, Calabay Parc Villa

Last edited by OrlandoMagic; 10-03-2012 at 09:37 AM.
OrlandoMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
misspickle
Mouseketeer

we booked the travelodge gatwick airport central for £25.50 for 2 adults 2 childrenfor a bed for a few hrs is ideal
Old 10-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
madmumof2
DIS Veteran

We're at the days hotel, probably around the same price as those posting above me but I got it free with airmiles :D They also include a transfer to the south terminal with the price :D

Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
Laurafoster
DIS Veteran

We prefer to stay at the on airport hotels - purely because we always arrive at he airport early and do twilight check in. Otherwise we would then have to transfer to the hotel and then back again. Not so bad if transfers are cheap/free but sometimes when they are £3pp each way it adds to the cost.

We have had some great deals at the Hilton before. Most years they do a 50% off sale in January (for selected dates only) and this can usually be combined with a cashback website. We had a family room or £80 with breakfast on our last stay there.

On our most recent trip we stayed at the Marriott, which although is onsite it's about a 5-10 minute walk to the terminal (it has shuttles too). This was £80 for a family room (2doubles) with breakfast.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
queendisney
DIS Veteran

we always stay in the executive rooms at the Hilton Gatwick. Yes it costs a bit more but its worth while in our case. With these rooms you get the buffet breakfast in the morning and you have use of the executive lounge where the drinks are free and they also bring out food (chicken wings, cheese platter, other nibbly foods etc) in the evenings. It also depends on your attitude to the hotel, ie to us its the proper start of our holiday and we take full advantage of a nice room and the hotel facilities but for others its just a bed for the night before the holiday begins.
This year we upgraded to a King Suite as I was celebrating a BIG birthday and it was just wonderful.
At the Hilton if you book a delux room they often ask you if you want to upgrade for a small fee to the executive room when you check in and its well worth doing. IMO anyway...

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
1nfrequent
Earning My Ears

I'll ditto Laura's comment about sales in January. If you're feeling brave and willing to wait it out, you can get a better deal in the New Year for Hilton and I think that Sofitel do the same thing. I've stayed at both of them in the past and I think I've paid between £80 and £100 for the room (I don't include breakfast because I can get it cheaper in the airport).

Depending on when you're going, I can see rates of £102 room only for the Hilton via its website. The Sofitel is showing an eye-watering £200 at the moment.

1F
1nfrequent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
Cinderella2006
Fairy Tale Wedding 1st November 2006

we booked two triple rooms with breakfast for £91 each room at the Hilton which i thought was very good ... I do love the Premier Inns, they offer great value for money but i have two children, one of which is disabled and i just find it more convenient.

Our Fairytale Wedding: Disney's Wedding Pavillion 1st November 2006

Cinderella2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
royal99
Earning My Ears

We always go by train and if we stay overnight and we feeling flush its always sofitel but when we want to save a little I would always recommend Premier inn Gatwick central. Nice clean rooms, nice efficient staff and 5 mins walking to the north terminals front door. If your departing south terminal you could do it in 10 mins or so including monorail. Also a bus is available for a few quid although this can be a bit long winded. Enjoy
royal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #13
Tinkerpeas hubby
Mouseketeer

We was going to sty at the Hilton but there was too many reviews saying that alot of people was getting put in the old wing and it's awful ( and I do love my reviews lol)

We have booked to stay at the marriot it looks really nice and was £70 for a double only a 5 min walk plus they have shuttles but since we will only have hand luggage we will walk it!

We don't fly until 1.15 so will get a nice lie in this time instead of our usual 4am starts haha.

Cindy x

Moi (31): dw (27): B (10) Ant (7): Avatar (7):
Tinkerpeas hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:29 AM   #14
Laurafoster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerpeas hubby
We was going to sty at the Hilton but there was too many reviews saying that alot of people was getting put in the old wing and it's awful ( and I do love my reviews lol)

We have booked to stay at the marriot it looks really nice and was £70 for a double only a 5 min walk plus they have shuttles but since we will only have hand luggage we will walk it!

We don't fly until 1.15 so will get a nice lie in this time instead of our usual 4am starts haha.

Cindy x
We have been in the old wing a few times and its definitely not awful, our rooms have always been immaculately clean and in good condition. I've had bad rooms in the 'new' wing. (To be fair the new wing opened in 2003 so its not that new)

I think the new wing tends to be mostly deluxe and executive rooms.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #15
mrtoffee
Mouseketeer

We were in the old wing last year at the hilton and the room was very nice, plus as it was a family room it was huge

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: