Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #1726
Miksma
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 60

Just got back. IMHO, not so much a fan. But I admit my opinion could be tainted because this visit came on the heels of a wonderful week at Wilderness Lodge. Here goes: Checked in at 9 a.m. before visiting US and IOA, gave my cell number to be notified when room was ready. Requested daily newspaper and room most convenient for park visits. No phone call after 9 hours, so went back to front desk at 6 p.m. (they confirmed they had the correct cell number) and was given 7th floor, Tower 2 room at the very end of the far right hall. Newspaper never delivered. Housekeeping did not make beds -- just left fresh towels. Water taxis -- I was just unlucky missing a departing one every time so just walked.
Pros: Very helpful bellman and valet.
Miksma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #1727
beachgirl2000
Mouseketeer
 
beachgirl2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 261

I will be there in three more days!!!! I just had to log on to see my ticker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________


(me) (son, 14) (hubby) (molly, 6)

Off Site (04/05) Off Site (10/10)
Off Site (05/06) Royal Pacific/Port Orleans (10/12)
Pop (05/08) Port Orleans FQ (08/14)
AKL (05/09)
beachgirl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #1728
disneyxo
Mouseketeer
 
disneyxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: WI
Posts: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by crostorfer View Post
We were SO IMPRESSED with the pool area. It may sound silly, but the fact that they offered complimentary water stations, sunscreen, pool noodles and beach balls completely blew me away. It's just way more than we've ever gotten at at WDW resort pool. And the staff that runs the afternoon pool games daily from 12pm-6pm is fantastic. Prizes are ice cream, smoothies, and for the adults, cocktails! We were blown away by the RPH, I wish we were there right now!



Wow, that sounds pretty amazing. Will definately try to be at the pool at that time. Can you tell me more about the complimentary sunscreen? We will only have carry on luggage so our "liquid" items are limited. I did plan on bringing some sunscreen and buying more if I needed too. But if they have complimentary sunscreen maybe I won't have to buy any. Also for the rooms is it the standard shampoo, conditioner and soap, or are there other items?
__________________
disneyxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #1729
jperrot1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 625

The free sunscreen is where the pool towels are given out. There is an employee working there. We never took any of the complimentary sunscreen but it was nice to know it was there if we ever needed to reapply and left our bottle in the room. I think if the pool isn't open there won't be sunscreen available so I would bring a bottle on your trip (for when you head over to the parks before the pool opens). Have a great time. This is a very well run Hotel. May I suggest considering an upgrade to club level if you didn't book club level? You get free breakfast with lots of healthy choices each morning. The club lounge is a very nice perk during your stay. Have fun.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #1730
disneyxo
Mouseketeer
 
disneyxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: WI
Posts: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperrot1 View Post
The free sunscreen is where the pool towels are given out. There is an employee working there. We never took any of the complimentary sunscreen but it was nice to know it was there if we ever needed to reapply and left our bottle in the room. I think if the pool isn't open there won't be sunscreen available so I would bring a bottle on your trip (for when you head over to the parks before the pool opens). Have a great time. This is a very well run Hotel. May I suggest considering an upgrade to club level if you didn't book club level? You get free breakfast with lots of healthy choices each morning. The club lounge is a very nice perk during your stay. Have fun.
Thank you for your reply and for the additional information. We were planning on bringing our own sunscreen but its nice to know if we run out we have another option besides buying more. Not sure if the club level would be worth it for us on this trip, but thanks for the suggestion. I think I will check out the cost difference. Very excited to try out this Hotel
__________________
disneyxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #1731
jperrot1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 625

I forgot to mention the free sunscreen was offered in little plastic cup fulls. Kind of like the plastic cups you use to put ketchup in at burger king or at a cafeteria. But the employee prefills the cups and they are lined up on the counter for you to take or ask for. If it is not there I'll bet your can just ask the towel attendant for some. You are going to have a great time. We very much enjoyed the pool area with all the activities. One thing that stood out for us was swimming it the pool in the evening while watching some animated movie on a big screen. That's a memory with my 7 year old son that will last a lifetime. The Hotel staff does a great job making you feel welcome. And, the employees all seemed to like their jobs. Club level is not needed and the money you'll save from not upgrading will pay for many meals of your choice.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #1732
disneyxo
Mouseketeer
 
disneyxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: WI
Posts: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperrot1 View Post
I forgot to mention the free sunscreen was offered in little plastic cup fulls. Kind of like the plastic cups you use to put ketchup in at burger king or at a cafeteria. But the employee prefills the cups and they are lined up on the counter for you to take or ask for. If it is not there I'll bet your can just ask the towel attendant for some. You are going to have a great time. We very much enjoyed the pool area with all the activities. One thing that stood out for us was swimming it the pool in the evening while watching some animated movie on a big screen. That's a memory with my 7 year old son that will last a lifetime. The Hotel staff does a great job making you feel welcome. And, the employees all seemed to like their jobs. Club level is not needed and the money you'll save from not upgrading will pay for many meals of your choice.
Thank you for the additional information. Definately sounds like you had a great stay and I hope we experience the same fun. We arrive on Friday so won't have to wait much longer!
__________________
disneyxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #1733
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 46,594

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miksma View Post
Just got back. IMHO, not so much a fan. But I admit my opinion could be tainted because this visit came on the heels of a wonderful week at Wilderness Lodge. Here goes: Checked in at 9 a.m. before visiting US and IOA, gave my cell number to be notified when room was ready. Requested daily newspaper and room most convenient for park visits. No phone call after 9 hours, so went back to front desk at 6 p.m. (they confirmed they had the correct cell number) and was given 7th floor, Tower 2 room at the very end of the far right hall. Newspaper never delivered. Housekeeping did not make beds -- just left fresh towels. Water taxis -- I was just unlucky missing a departing one every time so just walked.
Pros: Very helpful bellman and valet.
We had the same problem with the watertaxis.

Did you ever call Housekeeping to ask why they weren't doing their full job?

Newspapers...people are people, and whenever I'm missing a paper I think I should have gotten, I bet that someone else took it.

Convenient to park visits....one of the towers is good if you're planning on walking. one of them is good if you're always going to get the watertaxi. I can't remember if the other is useful for either or both. Just the way it's built, I suppose.


And YES, it's hard to truly appreciate one hotel when youv'e just had a blast at another. While we really enjoyed RPR, we felt the rooms were approximately the size of a postage stamp. This was mainly because we had just been in 2 bedrooms and 1 bedrooms at OKW. Those rooms are huge, and then the regular hotel room was just itsy to our eyes. That's why we've switched over to Portofino for the next two stays and probably most stays in the future. We like ending our Orlando time at Universal (b/c going back to puny Fast Pass is too difficult after you've had Express Pass in the same trip) so we have to get the bigger rooms so they don't feel like a 4 man tent, LOL.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #1734
TheWog
The Curse has been Reversed
We did it on St. Thomas
That sounds like my way to watch them
 
TheWog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New England
Posts: 5,605

I bit the bullet and will be staying here 10/28. Decided to do it for FOTL and early entry. Short walk home after HHN as well. Used AAA for a bit of a discount. Don't think I will be disappointed. Will probably just end up sleeping here and not enjoying anything else. I can just check in early Sunday morning and get my key card and then have FOTL access all day, correct? Room won't necessarily be ready, but still can enjoy the bennies.
__________________
1
TheWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #1735
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 29,781

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWog View Post
I bit the bullet and will be staying here 10/28. Decided to do it for FOTL and early entry. Short walk home after HHN as well. Used AAA for a bit of a discount. Don't think I will be disappointed. Will probably just end up sleeping here and not enjoying anything else. I can just check in early Sunday morning and get my key card and then have FOTL access all day, correct? Room won't necessarily be ready, but still can enjoy the bennies.
Express pass isn't good for HHN though, just in case you didn't know.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #1736
DisneyDreamerMom
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyDreamerMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 228

Stupid question time - we'll be checking out on a Sunday but will do the whole day in the park. We're driving so I'm trying to figure out if it would be easier to haul the bags back to the car in the morning or can we just leave them at the front desk and get them on our way out? The kicker is that morning is our early admission to HP morning, so I hate to spend the time to go out to the car and back (this is our first time, so I don't know how far out the parking lot is from the lobby).

Any advice would be appreciated!
__________________
Me: DH DS10 DD8
DW - 2012 POR* DW - 2010 POP* DW - 2007 ASSports* DW - 1998 ASMusic* DW - 1997 ASMovies
DisneyDreamerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #1737
patster734
Proud Redhead>
Not the sad bluehead
 
patster734's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Raytown, Missouri
Posts: 2,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWog View Post
I bit the bullet and will be staying here 10/28. Decided to do it for FOTL and early entry. Short walk home after HHN as well. Used AAA for a bit of a discount. Don't think I will be disappointed. Will probably just end up sleeping here and not enjoying anything else. I can just check in early Sunday morning and get my key card and then have FOTL access all day, correct? Room won't necessarily be ready, but still can enjoy the bennies.
You'll use your room key to get a seperate FOTL/Express pass that has your picture on it from the kiosks located in the concierge area near the check-in desk.
__________________
patster734 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #1738
patster734
Proud Redhead>
Not the sad bluehead
 
patster734's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Raytown, Missouri
Posts: 2,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreamerMom View Post
Stupid question time - we'll be checking out on a Sunday but will do the whole day in the park. We're driving so I'm trying to figure out if it would be easier to haul the bags back to the car in the morning or can we just leave them at the front desk and get them on our way out? The kicker is that morning is our early admission to HP morning, so I hate to spend the time to go out to the car and back (this is our first time, so I don't know how far out the parking lot is from the lobby).

Any advice would be appreciated!
RPR has a luggage area where the bellhops will store your luggage when you check out.
__________________
patster734 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #1739
DisneyDreamerMom
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyDreamerMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by patster734 View Post
RPR has a luggage area where the bellhops will store your luggage when you check out.

Thank you!
__________________
Me: DH DS10 DD8
DW - 2012 POR* DW - 2010 POP* DW - 2007 ASSports* DW - 1998 ASMusic* DW - 1997 ASMovies
DisneyDreamerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #1740
patster734
Proud Redhead>
Not the sad bluehead
 
patster734's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Raytown, Missouri
Posts: 2,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreamerMom View Post
Thank you!
You're welcome and enjoy your trip!
__________________
patster734 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: