Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
CruiseBoundnKY
DIS Veteran

RnR anyone?

The rock and roll marathon series is coming to an adjoining town. Has anyone done one? Thoughts???

I'm a walker and have never done a half before, so the relaxed pacing would help me if something goes seriously wrong. I'm only two months into training and feel like by March my pace will be a tremendous improvement from now.

What about the fitness show? Is it really good?

Thanks! Karen
Pop Century March 31 - April 7, 2012 Disney Dream Nov. 27 - Dec. 2; AKV Dec. 2 - 5 Dec. 5 - 8, 2010 Pop Century Nov. 28, - Dec. 6, 2009 Pop Century October 25, 2008 Disney Magic "Halloween on the High Seas" Alternate Western Double Dip May 5-12 2007 Disney Magic "Cinco Dis Mayo" Western Cruise May 2-4 2007 Disney ASMo May 2005 7-Days Sheraton Vistana Resorts Summer 1996 5-Days Can't remember where we stayed
CruiseBoundnKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

We were just discussing that here.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993619
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
pjupton
Mouseketeer

Karen, RnR Lexington is actually taking over an existing race, the Run the Bluegrass half-marathon. RtB has been put on by a very well organized group for the past two years, although 2011 was the first time on the course that RnR will be using. I've personally met some of the RnR people who will be working in Lexington and they'll be working closely with the RtB folks to put on a good inaugural race.

The course is BEAUTIFUL and HILLY. Very, very hilly. I live very near and was able to join some of the local running groups for several training runs over part & all of the course prior to the race. If you are anywhere near Lexington, follow hashtag #RunKY on Twitter to see when groups will be out there this winter - there are usually 4, 7, & 13 mile options on the days we go. If you aren't near Lexington, I'd suggest some major hill training over the winter :-)
Beach Club October 2005, POP October 2006, POP October 2007, VWL & BCV Sept/Oct 2008, OKW November 2009, AKV February 2010, Pop/BC/OKW Sept/Oct 2010, BCV Sept/Oct 2011, AKL/BCV June 2012, ASSports Sept 2012, POP Nov 2012, BCV Jan 2013
first DCL trip - Magic Western Caribbean 4/2/11
RunDisney Races - EEC 2008, W&D half marathon 2010, 2011, 2012, ToT 10-miler 2012, WDW full marathon 2013

pjupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

I've done 4 of the Competitor races (3 RnR and the old Phily Distance Classic that is now the RnR Philadelphia) and think they are well run races that have good medals, a big expo, and I like the music aspect of it. I'm already signed up for one inaugural RnR next year, Cleveland, and am probably going to do Pittsburgh and Lexington too since they are all close to me. I also still need a Kentucky half so win-win.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Funny....

I just sent Competitor a request for a refund at San Antonio. These goobers have added a 'mini marathon' on top of the half and full since I paid my entry fee. This beginner runner 3 mile race starts with the marathons and is open to kids 7 and up. I have nothing against folks just starting out but the course courtesies in a 3 mile run are much different than the first 3 miles of a marathon. They should have started the mini after the other races started (or before). Frankly, I am fed up with the money grab. Elite Racing, the former owner of the RnR series was a runnerís organization. They had supplies on course and thought out how to fill the course with as many runners as the course would SAFELY hold. In recent years, Competitor has said screw you. We will take you money and then give you a bad race. Examples ?...

2009 RnR SA - the race start was changed and prior to mile 1 the race crossed a live rail road track. I was in corral 6 and had to wait about 2 minutes for a (you guessed it) a train to cross. I missed a PR by about the same amount of time.

2011 RnR Las Vegas - I saw this one coming with the course announcement. The full started well before the half. The courses combined about 4 miles from the end. With the later half start the back of the half race was at the merge point of the course as the front middle of the full was passing the merge point. Not a good set up with lots of bumping.

2012 SA - A 3 mile beginner oriented race will start in and among the full and half runners. The first 5 miles of the SA race are on old city streets and they are at times very narrow. I predict injuries to runners as real estate is at a premium.

Sorry for the venting, but frankly I do not run as many races as I once was able to run. All I want from a race is a well stocked course, room for all runners and a safe course. Iíll let you know if Competitor even replies
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
In recent years, Competitor has said screw you. We will take you money and then give you a bad race. Examples ?...
2012 RnR Madrid - no porta-potties at the starting area. Closest ones were at the finish line 2k away.

I think the train was RnR SA 2010. 2009 was when we had to wait in line at the AT&T center for 90-120 minutes in order to get bused out of the main city area for the start, and then walk 1/2 a mile to get to the line.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
2012 SA - A 3 mile beginner oriented race will start in and among the full and half runners. The first 5 miles of the SA race are on old city streets and they are at times very narrow. I predict injuries to runners as real estate is at a premium.
I agree, recipe for disaster...scary trampling possibilities here.

And man I'd be pi$$ed at the train thing!!!

That said, I've been happy with the 3 RnR races I've run, and felt that there were plenty of porta potties, no weird course things, etc. I've done Philly, DC, and Montreal - all halves.

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

I should also say that I have been pleased with RnR up to this time when they refuse to learn from other fiascos.

I did not have an issue with the inaugural race logistics - I walked from downtown to the start.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: