Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #16
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettegirl View Post
Looking forward to it.
I'm so glad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabead View Post
I'm here! And ready for all the delicious details!
Hi Barb! I'm excited to get started. We had so many good meals this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Welcome home!! I've enjoyed the live previews but want to hear all the details!!
Thanks Brenda! The live previews were so much fun to take part in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOrdinaryPrincess View Post
It seems like this will be good. Joining in!
Thanks for reading!

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside

Up next: Wilderness Lodge

Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #17
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

For this trip we flew into Sanford International Airport through Allegiant Air and rented a car and drove down to Disney. This was a first for us and actually saved us a good bit of money. We really liked having a direct flight and a car and would absolutely fly Allegiant again.

Also this was the first time we had stayed at the Jambo House. We were upgraded to a Savannah room on the Zebra Trail. I've said I wouldn't ever pay for a Savannah view room since AKL has so many wonderful animal viewing areas, but I really enjoyed sitting out on the balcony watching the animals. I already miss these guys!

Giraffes at AKL by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

So we had a great stay at AKL. I would definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of staying there, if just for the dining options alone. Now, on to the food...

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

ROSE AND CROWN

Our first meal was one requested by Chase. The last time we ate here was May 2011 and had a very good meal.

This time our server was Katy Sue and she was a sweetie. We always find the servers at Rose and Crown so friendly.

I love this picture of Chase with a cross bow that was hanging from the wall. I'm wondering if he thinks he's going to have to hunt his own dinner?

Chase at Rose and Crown by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

Katy Sue brought us this basket of bread. I love that it had lots of butter, but I didn't think this bread was worth wasting much stomach space on.

bread at Rose and Crown by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

Chase knew that he wanted a repeat of his last meal at Rose and Crown, the Fish and Chips. But I was suprised that Brian also chose this.

Fish and Chips from Rose and Crown by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

Both of the guys loved this dish. It had several chips with one big piece of fish. I had a bite as well and agree it is very good. The fish is more meat than coating and fried just crisp. My only complaint is the price. I found my receipt from May 2011 and it was $15.99. This trip we paid $17.99.

I ended up chosing the Vegetable Pie 'n' Mash.

Vegetable Pie and Mash from Rose and Crown by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

The presentation is just so lovely with the pattern on the potatoes. Here is a picture of the inside so that you can see what the vegetables and sauce look like.

Inside Vegetable Pie and Mash from Rose and Crown by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

The potatoes and cheese on top were very tasty although a bit heavy. I was a little disappointed with the vegetables inside. They seemed the kind of peas and carrots that come frozen in a bag. It also had chunks of potatoes. I would have preferred mushrooms since it already had potatoes on top. The sauce was good so all in all this was a good dish.

Brian and I had decided on our dessert by looking at the menu on the internet while waiting. We were going to have the Mandy's Mess, which is a pound cake with berries and Ribena syrup. Since we didn't know what Ribena was we had googled it. (BTW, it is a British fruit drink made from black currant juice). We were disappointed when we were given this menu that didn't include the Mandy's Mess.

Dessert menu from Rose and Crown by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

So Brian decided on the cheesecake instead, which had mocha cream and carmelized bananas. I think Brian has tried every dessert at WDW with the word "banana" in it. I'm really not that fond of bananas, but all 3 of us thought this was divine.

Cheesecake from Rose and Crown by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

Chase's favorite was the cheesecake. He loved the chocolate coffee beans on top and it had a chocolate crust. Brian like the banana. It was carmelized perfectly with just the right stickiness. My favorite was the mocha cream. It was a little mound of chocolatey fluff.

So we were off to a great start with our meal at Rose and Crown. We had good food and good service. Up next we will have breakfast at Chef Mickey's.

Rachel

Last edited by Smiling Cheshire Cat; 10-07-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #19
AvasMommy526
Mouseketeer

Just came across your report! Joining in
Glad you had a great trip and someday I am going to use your tactics of double Disney time!
I love banana desserts too so that looks yummy! I have to agree the price of the fish and chips is a bit steep!
Can't wait for the rest

AvasMommy526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #20
DISNEYDUET
Will sing for Mickey Bars and Dole Whips! Oh and extra DVC points!

DBF is a banana lover too so I fear we will not be sharing desserts our upcoming trip!

DISNEYDUET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #21
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran

Those fish and chips are making me hungry! They look delicious! However, as much as I enjoyed your dining review, I enjoyed your giraffe pictures better!
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #22
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Aw, I'm also sad to see that Mandy's Mess was removed. It was one dish that I was especially interested in trying, mainly because I love Ribena! It's so hard to find in the US, so I was excited to see it on the menu in some form. Oh well

Glad your reviews have started - looking forward to more!
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #23
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

The fish and chips looks great, good to know about the shepherds pie and the veggies. I have never gone to R&C yet, but do enjoy reading about it

vettegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #24
MissPrice
Treguna, Makoidees, Trecorum, Sadis Dee!

Hi there Great review of Rose and Crown. DH and I ate there last Jan for the first time. Looking forward to more, especially your Jiko review. -Amanda
Old 10-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #25
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvasMommy526 View Post
Just came across your report! Joining in
Glad you had a great trip and someday I am going to use your tactics of double Disney time!
I love banana desserts too so that looks yummy! I have to agree the price of the fish and chips is a bit steep!
Can't wait for the rest
The cheesecake with bananas really was so good. And I don't even like bananas that much. The fish and chips is pricey. I was just a little amazed at the price increase, $2 in less than 16 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYDUET View Post
DBF is a banana lover too so I fear we will not be sharing desserts our upcoming trip!
That's funny. If your BF is a banana lover he should definitely get that cheesecake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOrdinaryPrincess View Post
Those fish and chips are making me hungry! They look delicious! However, as much as I enjoyed your dining review, I enjoyed your giraffe pictures better!
I've never ordered the fish and chips myself because I like to order something else and I know my son is going to order that every time we go to Rose and Crown. But I always bum a couple of bites from him and think I ought to just order my own next time.

I really loved looking at the animals. The baby giraffe was just the cutest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
Aw, I'm also sad to see that Mandy's Mess was removed. It was one dish that I was especially interested in trying, mainly because I love Ribena! It's so hard to find in the US, so I was excited to see it on the menu in some form. Oh well

Glad your reviews have started - looking forward to more!
I was exctied to try Ribena too after doing my research. I think Mandy's Mess was replaced with a flourless cake to be friendly to those with gluten allergies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettegirl View Post
The fish and chips looks great, good to know about the shepherds pie and the veggies. I have never gone to R&C yet, but do enjoy reading about it
We really like eating at Rose and Crown. The food has been solidly good for us and the service even better. Hope you get to try it sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPrice View Post
Hi there Great review of Rose and Crown. DH and I ate there last Jan for the first time. Looking forward to more, especially your Jiko review. -Amanda
Thanks so much for reading. Our food at Jiko was excellent. Review will be coming up in a few days.

Rachel

Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #26
jabead
DIS Veteran

Great start to your reviews, Rachel! I especially liked the pic of Chase.

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #27
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

Welcome back! We have never actually tried Rose and Crown but I keep seeing reviews like yours that make me want to try it
Old 10-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #28
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

Love r+c but with menu changes I am not sure what I would get anymore. I got the cornish hen last time and the time before the chicken pastys. Neither on the menu. I also loved the drambue cheese cake. Also gone. But I am glad you enjoyed your dinner. Look forward to more!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:37 AM   #29
partyof2
Colette

I think that the Fish and Chips look fab!

I'm definitely curious about Rose & Crown, but being from the UK it's not somewhere that I prioritise as there's so many other Epcot restaurants I'd like to try first.
Visit #2 >> Nov 2013 - POR
Visit #3 >> Nov 2014 - Pop

partyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #30
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabead View Post
Great start to your reviews, Rachel! I especially liked the pic of Chase.
Thanks Barb. That child of mine will do almost anything for a laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butiflfeet View Post
Welcome back! We have never actually tried Rose and Crown but I keep seeing reviews like yours that make me want to try it
Thanks so much! Glad that I can give Rose and Crown a "thumbs up."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro Z View Post
Love r+c but with menu changes I am not sure what I would get anymore. I got the cornish hen last time and the time before the chicken pastys. Neither on the menu. I also loved the drambue cheese cake. Also gone. But I am glad you enjoyed your dinner. Look forward to more!
I didn't get the chance to try any of those dishes and they all sound appealing, especially the chicken pastys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyof2 View Post
I think that the Fish and Chips look fab!

I'm definitely curious about Rose & Crown, but being from the UK it's not somewhere that I prioritise as there's so many other Epcot restaurants I'd like to try first.
It would be interesting to see how close Rose and Crown's dishes are to what you actually get at home. But I feel the same way, we never eat at the American CS, Liberty Inn, because there are too many other interesting choices at the World Showcase.

Rachel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: