Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #61
Bilberry
DIS Veteran

I've seen the historical mention about smoking more and being thinner as a result in the past. Obesity researcher Dr. Guyenet had a chart about that recently.

"Cigarette Smoking-- Another Factor in the Obesity Epidemic"

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...factor-in.html

I think another good candidate for our growing waist line is when we changed the wheat crop that is eaten. Dwarf wheat produced, created in the 1960s or 70s I believe, and most commonly eaten today is different than the wheat our grandparents ate.

"Dr. Mark Hyman: Fellow Wheat Belly-acher"

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/0...t-belly-acher/

snippet from the article:

Quote:
t looks like Dr. Mark Hyman, well known for his popular and insightful books, Ultramind and Ultrametabolism, has jumped onto the Wheat Belly bandwagon with his comments in a recent article on his website.

Some tidbits from his article:

The history of wheat parallels the history of chronic disease and obesity across the world. Supermarkets today contain walls of wheat and corn disguised in literally hundreds of thousands of different food- like products, or FrankenFoods.

The Bible says, “Give us this day our daily bread”. Eating bread is nearly a religious commandment. But the Einkorn, heirloom, Biblical wheat of our ancestors is something modern humans never eat.

Instead, we eat dwarf wheat, the product of genetic manipulation and hybridization that created short, stubby, hardy, high yielding wheat plants with much higher amounts of starch and gluten and many more chromosomes coding for all sorts of new odd proteins. The man who engineered this modern wheat won the Nobel Prize – it promised to feed millions of starving around the world. Well, it has, and it has made them fat and sick.

The first major difference of this dwarf wheat is that it contains very high levels of a super starch called amylopectin A. This is how we get big fluffy Wonder Bread and Cinnabons.

And:
The problems with wheat are real, scientifically validated and ever present. Getting off wheat may not only make you feel better and lose weight, it could save your life.

My personal hope is that together we can create a national conversation about a real, practical solution for the prevention, treatment, and reversal of our obesity, diabetes and chronic disease epidemic. Getting off wheat may just be an important step....
Bilberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #62
mnrose
DIS Veteran

Oh good heavens. At best, smoking (or lack thereof) plays a very small role in the obesity epidemic in this country. The percent of smokers peaked at around 45% in the 1950's...since then, it has gone down to around 24-25% of the population. Obesity, on the otherhand, has absolutely skyrocketed during this same period of time, from roughly 10% to over 34% (a three fold increase). Note that this measures obesity only (which is defined as 30 pounds or more over ideal weight). The percent of Americans overweight OR obese is over 70%. Shocking, really. Moreover, obesity is rising fastest among our children....and that has nothing whatsoever to do with smoking.

Weight gain (in all but the relatively few who have a medical condition, such as a thyroid problem) is quite simple. You eat too much and/or you move too little. Period. Of course, the eating too much can be broken down into flat out consuming too many calories or consuming too much of the wrong kinds of food. Compared to our ancestors, we eat FAR more processed foods (my mother, for example, used only pasta as a convenience food...everything else was made from scratch), particularly involving sugar. Just look at the amount of a grocery store devoted to premade food....most of which is way too high in sodium, contains sugar where none exists naturally, or is just plain not very good for you. Also, did you know that the number one item sold in grocery stores is soda? Really....not even close to being a real food. I can flat our guarantee you without looking up the data that this was NOT the case in the 1950's or 60's. When growing up, I remember getting soda as a rare treat at the gas station. My parents never purchased so much as a six pack to bring into our home. Never. And, they were not that unusual for the time!

Of course, we also move far less than our ancestors, particularly our children. Just a fact.

If we want to get serious about controlling the epidemic of obesity, we need to take a hard look at our food, particularly the extent to which the food lobby controls what is available to the consumer (thinking particularly of the extent to which processed foods are heavily subsidized by our tax dollars and made artificially cheap). We also need to MOVE. Stop riding everywhere in our cars, and start walking. If we don't, our medical expenses will continue to skyrocket as we treat what is largely preventable disease and illness. Just so sad.

Sure, we can all name people who are “thin” and unhealthy or “fat” and healthy, but the reality is that for MOST people, it is unhealthy to carry excess weight....heart disease, diabetes, joint problems, etc are all related to being obese. Examples to the contrary are anecdotal only and not terribly meaningful.
mnrose is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #63
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
My dad was also born in 1922. In his wedding picture, he is the skinniest thing in the world. I mean anorexic looking skinny.

He smoked from the age of 16 until 1980 when he has his first heart attack.

Like your dad, my dad loved his red meat and wouldn't touch chicken or a piece of fish if you paid him. Most vegetables served in our house were starchy. We did have a small salad served with every meal.

In the late 70's, he started hitting up fast food restaurants. His favorite was a Whopper from Burger King which he ate multiple times a week. He also loved fried pork rinds, ice cream, and salami followed by one of many cigarettes. The only thing my dad didn't have was soda or alcohol but nothing else was off limits to him.

His job required him to be very active and he didn't slow down once he got home. The man never sat down. He was like the Energizer bunny. He was always doing but his weight continued to climb and he continued to smoke.

From 1980 until his death in 1998, he was sick (multiple heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, etc).

I think my dad is very typical of his generation. They were very active, smoked heavily, ate a lot of red meat, jumped on the fast food & pre-packaged bandwagon when it became readily available, and suffered with very common illnesses as they aged and just chalked it up to the progression of growing older. All of my friends have parents born in the early 20's through the early 30's and I have watched them all go down the same path my dad went down. There are a few that passed away without years of disease but those numbers are very small in my group. I've watched cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and obesity ravage the bodies of those from the 20's.
I think we just proved a point about junk food. The difference between your and mine? He HATED junk food. That man didn't set foot into a fast food restaurant until his last few years off life. He did smoke for a brief stint before he went into WWII, after that he quit. He also didn't drink after he got back form the war. He never had any health issues, except some seizure disorder, but it wasn't epilepsy. His Dr joked that when he died, they would most likely have to go in and beat his heart to make it stop. I think fast food is the death of us all. Oh, but can I tell you that he drank close to 4 cokes a day after he retired, again with no ill effects. That and chocolate were his only vices, except exercise. My mom did have heart disease, but she never really lost weight and just didn't exercise at all.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #64
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrose View Post
Oh good heavens. At best, smoking (or lack thereof) plays a very small role in the obesity epidemic in this country. The percent of smokers peaked at around 45% in the 1950's...since then, it has gone down to around 24-25% of the population. Obesity, on the otherhand, has absolutely skyrocketed during this same period of time, from roughly 10% to over 34% (a three fold increase). Note that this measures obesity only (which is defined as 30 pounds or more over ideal weight). The percent of Americans overweight OR obese is over 70%. Shocking, really. Moreover, obesity is rising fastest among our children....and that has nothing whatsoever to do with smoking.

Weight gain (in all but the relatively few who have a medical condition, such as a thyroid problem) is quite simple. You eat too much and/or you move too little. Period. Of course, the eating too much can be broken down into flat out consuming too many calories or consuming too much of the wrong kinds of food. Compared to our ancestors, we eat FAR more processed foods (my mother, for example, used only pasta as a convenience food...everything else was made from scratch), particularly involving sugar. Just look at the amount of a grocery store devoted to premade food....most of which is way too high in sodium, contains sugar where none exists naturally, or is just plain not very good for you. Also, did you know that the number one item sold in grocery stores is soda? Really....not even close to being a real food. I can flat our guarantee you without looking up the data that this was NOT the case in the 1950's or 60's. When growing up, I remember getting soda as a rare treat at the gas station. My parents never purchased so much as a six pack to bring into our home. Never. And, they were not that unusual for the time!

Of course, we also move far less than our ancestors, particularly our children. Just a fact.

If we want to get serious about controlling the epidemic of obesity, we need to take a hard look at our food, particularly the extent to which the food lobby controls what is available to the consumer (thinking particularly of the extent to which processed foods are heavily subsidized by our tax dollars and made artificially cheap). We also need to MOVE. Stop riding everywhere in our cars, and start walking. If we don't, our medical expenses will continue to skyrocket as we treat what is largely preventable disease and illness. Just so sad.

Sure, we can all name people who are “thin” and unhealthy or “fat” and healthy, but the reality is that for MOST people, it is unhealthy to carry excess weight....heart disease, diabetes, joint problems, etc are all related to being obese. Examples to the contrary are anecdotal only and not terribly meaningful.
An excellent post. I think the factory farm and GMO foods are hurting us but their lobbying dollars keep the laws on their sides. I live in a farm state and the need for a good farm bill that helps smaller and family owned farms is badly needed but is never addressed on a national scale. The curbing of the farm lobby and big-agro is the single most important issue to me politically with real health care reform being a very close #2 but the two are very closely linked.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #65
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrose View Post

Yes.
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #66
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
An excellent post. I think the factory farm and GMO foods are hurting us but their lobbying dollars keep the laws on their sides. I live in a farm state and the need for a good farm bill that helps smaller and family owned farms is badly needed but is never addressed on a national scale. The curbing of the farm lobby and big-agro is the single most important issue to me politically with real health care reform being a very close #2 but the two are very closely linked.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #67
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Hmmm interesting thought.

I think the only correlation between smoking and being thin is that smoking would fill a void that otherwise would be filled with food.

I know I tend to eat something not because I'm hungry but because I'm bored. If I were a smoker, I'd be reaching for a cigarette instead of the chips.

It's the hand to mouth thing, lol.
threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: