Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #31
mrodgers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Minnie View Post
I only have a 4 mile one way commute. If its during the week and I don't have to go anywhere besides work I'll let it get down to 10 miles. I pass by 3 gas stations in the 4mi to work so it's not a big deal.
Dang, 4 miles and you pass 3 stations? I drive 20 miles one way and still have to go out of my way to get gas, either 5 miles out from work or continue 5 miles past home.

I fill both up on Friday, that is payday. I use about half a tank. My wife goes to work 3 times and I fill hers up again. Then she can go grocery shopping and to her last day of work and ends up eating up most of the rest running the kids to school or whatever else. A 1/4 tank won't get her to work and back or to the grocery store and back. Well, I guess it would, but that would be pushing it driving 60ish miles on less than 4 gallons. Her coming home after using the last quarter tank though probably wouldn't get the extra 5 miles down to the gas station.

I budget $150 for gas from before I bought my current car when I was also getting 20 mpg (in an Altima at that.) Now any extra left from gas, since I usually fill mine with $30 and hers with $45 each time, the extra is our allowance.
mrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #32
PollyannaMom
I was a click-clack champ!!

After I notice it hitting 1/4 tank, I fill it at the next convenient time - usually when I'm doing other errands.

me, DH, DS(13), and lots of pets
PollyannaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #33
belle07
Mouseketeer

1/4 tank, and I usually fill it up.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #34
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

I let mine go to empty a lot. lol I don't prefer to but I only get gas with cash so if I don't have the money I don't get the gas. I filled up yesterday, had just about a quarter tank, cost me $72 to fill up. When we first got the van it was $25-30 to fill it up. I do a lot of in town driving and work is close to home so I can normally get a tank and then drive for 3-4 weeks before I need to fill up again.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #35
Adipoo
Mouseketeer

I fill up around the quarter tank mark except in the winter when I don't like to go below half a tank just in case the weather takes a nasty turn.

My husband has run out of gas on the way to work and he only has to go 3 miles. Drives me nuts, pun intended.

We travel not to escape life, but to have life not escape us.
Adipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #36
kt_mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Malone View Post
I used to let it get down to almost empty but not any more. Years ago, we had a sudden natural disaster and power was out for days. My gas tank happened to be nearly empty and no gas stations were open for many miles around since the power was out. It was a scary feeling, like being trapped. Never again. Now I always fill up at 1/2 tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler View Post
THat's a good point. We had the halloween blizzard here last year, and there was no power in the area for up to 10 days in a lot of our towns, and I was very grateful that I had a full tank of gas and didn't need to wait in the long lines at any of the few gas stations that had power.
I learned my lesson on that this summer. I was on fumes but I knew we were leaving the next day for the beach. I figured we would just fill up on the way out of town. Well, that night the derecho or whatever the storm was called came through and our power went out. The closest gas station was several miles away but DH thought we could make it. I was scared to death the whole way that I would run out of gas. We made it but the lines were horrible.

I had DS in the car with me because DH was at work (one of the handful of places in town with power) Anyway, not only was the station crowded but the pumps were pumping extremely slow. I had one car in front of me and it took him almost an hour to fill his tank. People were standing around outside their cars chatting and whatever. The lady next to me said she had just left a station down the road becuase a fight broke out. I finally made it to the pump and it took another 30 minutes or so to put about $25 in my tank.

So now once I hit a quarter tank I try to fill up as soon as possible.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #37
denisenh
All I can do is lie down
It has a thing hanging off the end
When i get the urge to show off, a tiny voice inside my head says "resist the urge". So i shut my mouth and stand still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0610 View Post
I usually fill up on weekend, no matter what the guage says. Which day is determined by exactly how much running around we do that week.

My mom on the other hand, she'll put 10 in 7 days a week, instead of just filling up once.

She's also a big complainer that that 10 dollars barley got her through the day. But bite your tounge if you suggest that instead of running her a/c, that she just roll down her window. Even though we have proven that her a/c system sucks down the gas faster than she can put it in, she will not roll down the windows. She doesn't like the noise.
wow, i didn't know that the a/c runs on gas either! i thought it was the battery. i don't mind having the windows down but i thought that the resistance created uses more gas.

I don't really plan it but seems that I fill up on Saturdays. Just works out that way.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #38
tOSU
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisenh View Post
wow, i didn't know that the a/c runs on gas either! i thought it was the battery. i don't mind having the windows down but i thought that the resistance created uses more gas.

I don't really plan it but seems that I fill up on Saturdays. Just works out that way.
The AC doesn't run on gas. what causes the lower MPG is that the AC compressor motor is powered by the accessory belt. When the compressor motor is engaged, it puts more strain on the engine to turn the accessory belt, hence lower MPG

Found a video that explains http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEyun_O35b4

Last edited by tOSU; 10-03-2012 at 02:40 PM.
tOSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #39
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I just wait for the DING! and then the gas picture to go all red.

Once that happens, I still have 20 miles to go.

Unless, of course, the gas station I'm driving by has really low prices, then I'll put in gas any time.

This morning, the nearest station was at $4.29. It just was $4.09 two days ago. No gas from you!
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #40
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Usually around half a tank. Not as much sticker shock that way. A few weeks ago tho, I was topping off every other day as the 2 stations close to my job had gas for $3.37 while everyone else had $3.87. I was afraid every day it would go up. Finally went up to $3.69 for a couple days then up like all the other stations. Now it is $3.52.

Book Challenge Goal 55/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #41
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

When I stop in for my fountain drink I pay 96 cents for the drink and I put 19.04 in my tank.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #42
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Whenever I drive it tends to be long distances as I'm in Sales and I cover the state. So I generally look at where my tank is and where I'm going. If I'm going to Miami, I always fill up here because the gas is cheaper. But if I go to Orlando, gas is cheaper there, so I try to fill up there if possible. I also like to make sure I have enough gas in my tank to make it to my destination so that I don't need to pull off and try to find a place along the way.

If I'm just driving around town and I have less than a half tank, I usually will fill it up just so when I need to make my next long trip I'm already full.
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #43
Squirlz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisenh View Post

The A/C is powered by the engine so essentially it runs on gas. The more the engine works the more fuel it uses.
Squirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #44
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Gas light all the way, baby! And even beyond!

I'm cheap when it comes to paying these gas prices. I'd rather spend that money on clothes, lol, so will push my gas tank to its limits, lol.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker

Currently reading: #26 Rainshadow Road

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #45
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

We will up in between 1/3 and 1/4 of a tank. We always fill it up completely. We both grew up in this area and know that storms can and will happen at any time and no electric. Plus my husband was taught that your car will pick up the sludge in the bottom of the tank if you don't fill it at 1/4 of a tank left.

Now I said WE. The WE is my husband and I. My daughter must think we have a gas fairy because she has never filled it up!
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: