Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
mouseketeermama
Mouseketeer

Are all breakfast buffets created equal?

Aren't they usually just different characters with the same food? We are booking our dining for our trip in February and I am just concerned that we will get bored with the character breakfasts every morning.

Just a married to my raising our littleand tiny
mouseketeermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

There certainly are differences in the food. But the overall style, approach and quality have more similarities than differences. Think of it as eating at MacDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Arby's and Five Guys all on successive days. Different? Sure. But would you be bored none the less? Sure.

Maybe the different character interaction is enough to keep your family entertained. But a character breakfast on every day of my trip would have me in a padded room before the week was over.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseketeermama View Post
Aren't they usually just different characters with the same food? We are booking our dining for our trip in February and I am just concerned that we will get bored with the character breakfasts every morning.
I've found that Boma is pretty different from the other breakfast buffets. No characters, but some pretty good food choices.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
TheRatPack
Under penalty of law this tag not to be removed except by the tagfairy!

We like the choices at Hollywood and Vine better (apple cobbler at breakfast, chorizo)....and the puff pastry at the breakfast buffet in Crystal Palace. Most of the standard items are the same.

TheRatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
G719
Mouseketeer

Tusker House

We did Akershus in Epcot with the princesses and Tusker house in AK for breakfast. Tusker house was our favorite. They had a few different items like carved ham and donuts. Akershus had a few Norwegian foods as it is in Norway at Epcot. Tusker house is great if you can get an ADR time before the park opens. If the park opens at 9, try for 8. Then you are finished eating as the park is opening and you are a few steps away from the safari ride.
G719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
wdwpirates
Don't lose ya soul cuz it's all ya got. - DH

Our favorite breakfast buffets are Crystal Palace and Tusker House. They are different enough to keep it interesting and both have different characters.

I usually pass on any other character breakfasts.

Ooh...and not really a buffet but 'Ohana is family style with characters in the AM and it's pretty darn good!!

wdwpirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwpirates
Our favorite breakfast buffets are Crystal Palace and Tusker House. They are different enough to keep it interesting and both have different characters.

I usually pass on any other character breakfasts.

Ooh...and not really a buffet but 'Ohana is family style with characters in the AM and it's pretty darn good!!
yes i agree. i also love crystal palace and tusker. they're my fave. all breakfast places are great. only one we didn't care for is chef mickeys.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using DISBoards App

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
TheWrightTrip
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
yes i agree. i also love crystal palace and tusker. they're my fave. all breakfast places are great. only one we didn't care for is chef mickeys.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using DISBoards App
I'm curious as to why? Doesn't chef mickeys have the standard breakfast food? (Mickey waffles, sausage, bacon, eggs, fruit, etc)
What made the experience different?
I ask because this is the only character breakfast we have planned next trip.
TheWrightTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #9
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

If you can handle no characters, aren't on a dining plan and really want something different than the Disney-norm, you should try Fresh Market at the Dolphin. We're not really buffet-type folks although we've tried a handful: Boma, 'Ohana and Cape May. I'd rate Fresh Market far above even Boma. Fresh-pressed juice blends, thicker-than-tissue-paper bacon, nice sausages, eggs made to order, waffles and pancakes made to order, carved meats, yummy roasted potatoes with onions, REAL coffee... REAL, non-Nescafe java (Starbucks) in a carafe left at your table plus a bunch of other options I'm forgetting. Quieter atmosphere. Boma gets points for the unusual setting and some non-standard, interesting fare... but Fresh wins in every other way, including quality.

As much as I push this place, they seriously need to start paying me commission.
Missoutandabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
AuroraMeansDawn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWrightTrip View Post
I'm curious as to why? Doesn't chef mickeys have the standard breakfast food? (Mickey waffles, sausage, bacon, eggs, fruit, etc)
What made the experience different?
I ask because this is the only character breakfast we have planned next trip.
There is more that is the same on Disney breakfast buffet then there is that is different. They have things that are different but they all have bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, fruit, yogurt, Mickey waffles, coffee, juice etc. The standard stuff you think of for breakfast that satisfy most people.

There are some that have other items and variations such as whether it's served family style (Ohana, Akershus) or a buffet (1900PF, CP, CM, Boma) Some offer specialty items you can't get elsewhere like strawberry soup at 1900 PF, breakfast lasagna and puffed french toast at CP, Tonga Toast at Kona, specialty juices or pap at Boma etc but the standards are at all of them. All of them are nice enough, overpriced, and fun.

But If you're looking for standard breakfast fare pick the characters you like and enjoy and CM is a perfectly fine choice.

Chef Mickey's is great for lots of reasons. 1. its really hard to mess up breakfast. 2. the location is fantastic. 3. it's the only place to dine with the big cheese outside of the parks. You'll be fine. Really!
Nov 1991 Offsite - June 1997 Disneyland Paris - May 1999 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - May 2000 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2010 POFQ - 25th Wedding Anniversary SSR with my Prince Charming - April 2011 - March 2013 Graduation Trip for my Boy at POFQ
AuroraMeansDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
gabzee
DIS Veteran

Characters buffets are not the same everywhere. Some are definitely better than others. All character buffets have the basics but certain buffets add unique items. 1900 Park has a make- your- own omelette station, strawberry soup, etc. Crystal Palace also has a make-your-own omelette station (here they don't make your omelette in a pan they make it on a flat cooktop where they also make pancakes), pooh puffed french toast, etc. TH also has some unique items. Some character meal are family style (ex: Ohana, etc.) Akershus is a mix of buffet and family style (they have some cold items on the buffet and then bring the hot items to your table). Also, the different characters as well as the location of the restaurant can be a BIG factor as to whether or not it is one of their favorites. 1900 Park is fantastic for breakfast!!

gabzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
whitney37354
DIS Veteran

We've done: Akershus, Hollywood & Vine, Tusker House, & 1900 PF for breakfast buffet. I liked 1900PF least, but I forgot to try the strawberry soup! They were mostly the same, with Tusker House & H&V being my favs.
whitney37354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #13
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

Boma and Akershus are much different to venues such as Crystal palace and 1900 PF - would do them all again except for 1900 PF. Plus eating with the characters does save times with young children collecting autographs throughout the day.

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: