Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #121
shawy1269
Mouseketeer

As a meat, seafood, chicken, mushroom and dessert lover... I am quite excited about my cruise in December. Especially the dining. I'm a restaurant server for a living, just the fact that I get to sit and enjoy for a change, instead of being the one busting my butt is a rare treat. It is unfortunate that OP was not able to find something to their liking. As a server, I understand that there are people out there who have dietary limitations, and it is my job to point them towards menu items that fit those requirements. It doesnt always work out, and the customer is not always happy with their choices, but I will do my best to make sure that I lay out all of the options for them. I fully expect that person to work with me, to find menu items that suit them. If they are unwilling to do that, then they are the ones that suffer, not me.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #122
Kilted Candyman
Mouseketeer

Two words - MICKEY BARS

Having a wife that is both squeamish and finicky and add to that I am a foodie I can appreciate the frustration of the OP. My wife felt a bit put out in a couple meals since she had had enough grilled chicken. It can be of an issue when you are thrilled with the foods and are non-confrontational. Lucky for us our server bent over backwards for us.

Jim
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #123
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Room View Post
The reality for the OP is that the vast majority of the 3000 guests aboard DCL eat chicken, beef and seafood, so the menus obviously cater to the majority. If someone makes a personal life decision to be a vegan or vegetarian, the further reality is that it is a lifestyle choice which results in complications at meal time (and this is true whether it is a purely personal decison or one made for medical reasons). The cruise line uses its limited resources deciding between making the vast majority of passengers happy at dinner service, or the relative minority - and ultimately chooses the majority.

My guess is that menus haven't changed for "veggies" in the last five years because there is no calling or need to make any changes given the relatively small number of guests who fit into this category. Again, there are negative consequences involved for choosing (or needing) dietary fare that is unique or not shared by the vast majority of the paying guests. Having said that, I have seen passengers approach head servers and even individual chefs in both the buffets and rotational dining rooms to explain their specific dietary restrictions and, so long as enough lead time is given to the kitchen, I have seen DCL (and other cruise lines) do whatever it is possible to accommodate their individual guests.

To criticize the food on DCL because one does not eat what nearly every other guest aboard the ship does appears a bit unfair and shortsighted.

Very well put.......
Old 10-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #124
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bats View Post
The kids menu only has mac and cheese or pizza ... Mmmmmm lovely for a whole week, NOT!

I've decided I'm definitely going to speak to the catering manager this cruise and ask why the menu hasn't changed in over 5 years for the veggies. I know it's not his decision, but he may be able to provide the answer.

AKK
Old 10-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #125
sambycat
DIS Veteran

We cruised August 2011 and 2012. I believe there were new dishes and vegan options this year. The kids menu (Mac & cheese, pizza) is probably a different story.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #126
mjm325
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy View Post
It's not hard at all - and it's been done for us many times, both on Dream and Fantasy - olive oil, red sauces, Alfredo, even with veggies and with chicken on the side. All we had to do was ask.

I did ask and I was told to look at the kids menu. Maybe next time I'll get a server who doesn't mind doing it.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #127
carpenta
DIS Veteran

.................maybe cruising is just not a good fit for your needs?.......maybe a land trip to India would be more of a fit for your dining needs. They are "mostly" vegetarians.....
Old 10-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #128
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bats View Post
The kids menu only has mac and cheese or pizza ... Mmmmmm lovely for a whole week, NOT!

I've decided I'm definitely going to speak to the catering manager this cruise and ask why the menu hasn't changed in over 5 years for the veggies. I know it's not his decision, but he may be able to provide the answer.
I'm not sure which ship you're going on, but I have a link to the Dream kid's menus in my signature. There's more that just mac & cheese and pizza.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic 2004, 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014 DCL Fantasy 2015
Old 10-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #129
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm325 View Post
I did ask and I was told to look at the kids menu. Maybe next time I'll get a server who doesn't mind doing it.
I can't imagine any server would "mind" doing their job!

If you looked at the kids menu, didn't see anything interesting, and quietly ordered soup without pressing further, he most likely thought you were good.

Next time, if you have a server whom you don't believe to be helpful, ask for the head server.

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Old 10-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #130
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandy595 View Post
I'm not sure which ship you're going on, but I have a link to the Dream kid's menus in my signature. There's more that just mac & cheese and pizza.
Thanks for sharing those!

I think I need to order a few things off the kids menu on our cruise in a few weeks!

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Old 10-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #131
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy View Post
Thanks for sharing those!

I think I need to order a few things off the kids menu on our cruise in a few weeks!
You're welcome.
I love to try new things, but I think I'm going to ask for a kid's menu on our next cruise too. Sometimes I just want a plain old salad with my dinner.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic 2004, 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014 DCL Fantasy 2015
Old 10-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #132
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm325 View Post
Based on this statement, I assume that nothing on the kids menu worked for you either. I must admit that we expected to eat off the kids menu on the Dream because we often do this at WDW and DL, but we found plenty of other options, even for my DH who tries to avoid all sauces. --- Suzanne
Old 10-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #133
TheMorgans
Mouseketeer

We left the Dream on the 30th too!!

We were seated with a vegetarian and our server pointed out those dishes to her. They were also maked on the menu. She always was able to find plenty to enjoy for each dinner. She even spoke about how good it was.

I am VERY picky when it comes to my food. Of course, there were things on the menu that I would not eat, but I was always able to find somthing that appealed to me on each menu.

I CANNOT wait for my next DCL adventure. We all loved it.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #134
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
I read a similar poll where travelers voted on everything from their overall favorite ship to ships that offer best excursions. In the food category......none of the DCL ships made the top 10. Some people like DCL food while others do not. I personally enjoyed a FEW items on my 5 night cruise while other items I found mediocre at best. The items I did not enjoy, I simply sent back for something else or just didn't eat them.
Can you point me towards this poll?

I think the reason that the Disney ships all ended up in the top 10 for large cruise ships is that Conde Nast divided ships based on the number of passengers. For this poll, large ships had 2500 or more passengers. In general, the best ships with fewer pssengers (600 or less) had higher food/dining experience scores. Which leads me to beleive that if you want better food/dining experience, sail on a small ship. -- Suzanne
Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #135
reigle4
with magicdust is the only way to travel

Are you sure it was the DISNEY Dream

I can see that happening on Carnival but not Disney. Are you sure you were not speaking of the Carnival Dream ship.....lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: