Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
Cappy81
Mouseketeer

Our recent stay 9/26-10-2

We just returned yesterday from our 6 night stay at AKL. The DIS has been very helpful when planning our trip, I thought I would share our experience and hopefully pass on some useful info to others!

I will write a more detailed review of AKL in the resorts section.
We arrived 9-26 at 12:15pm and took ME to our room, we arrived at about 2pm and our room was ready. We booked the pool view room and loved it!!! Our first day was nice and relaxing, we explored the resort and had dinner at Boma. Boma was amazing, the food was great! Would highly recommend. Weather was great, no rain! Our luggage arrived about 2 hrs after check in.

Day 2- Animal Kingdom- This was our 2nd time at Disney and last time we did not go to AK so this was a first time for us! We LOVED it! There is no way this would be a half day park for us! We did have to wait awhile for this bus (almost half an hour). We arrived at 8:20 for an 8:25 ADR at Tusker House. Then we had to standing line for over 35 min to check in for the restaurant. Fist DD (3) took her picture outside with Donald, and then we were shown to our table. Characters came fairly quickly and food was average, but we really enjoyed this meal. Did not feel rushed at all. Would do this one again.

Then we were off to explore. It was about 9:30 when we finished eating, the KS ride was at about a 25 min wait so we FP and explored a trail while we were waiting. That was the only FP we had to use that day. While it seemed like the park had a lot of people in it, we walked on everything else. DD just hit 40" with her shoes on so we were able to go on Dinosaur 3X (she loved it, was not scared at all, although I can see how some kids may get frightened). EE single rider line was a walk on. The parade was great! Tip- If possible try to see the last showing of Festival of the Lion King, it was only half full we arrived at 5:20 for the 5:30 show and sat 3rd row and DD got to go onstage and dance with one of the performers (highlight of our trip). Also ate at Flame Tree BBQ- big portions and good food for a CS meal.

Day 3- MK- Only waited a few min for bus to park. Had 8:30 ADR for CRT, it was okay, food was decent, princesses stayed at table for very short time, felt a bit rushed. It is worth a TS but I do not think i was worth 2 TS, may skip this one next time. Great day at MK- longest wait was 10min for POTC everything else was walk on. Walked on BTMR 3X in a row then walked right on Splash. BTMR turned out to be DD favorite ride (which is why we ended up going 3X in a row lol!). At ate Casey's Corner, was not to good in my opinion. Great day, again park seemed crowded but lines were non-existent. It rained for about 20 min at about 3:45 as everyone on the DIS says it does!

Day 4- This was supposed to be our resort day, but we ended up going to Epcot for a few hours. It was packed but we went in knowing that. We went from about 10:30-2:30 and rode Soarin', Nemo and Malestrom. Walked around the world showcase and ate lunch and called it a day as Epcot is out least favorite park. for those concerned with love bugs we saw only a few at Epcot, did not see any more the rest of our trip. Spent the rest of the day swimming and enjoying the resort.

Day 5- This was out MNSSHP day, we spent the morning swimming and relaxing and arrived at MK at 3:50, we were able to get in right at 4. Went to our ADR and LTT. LOVE LOVE LOVE LTT, great atmosphere, great food! This was our favorite place to eat during our trip!!! After eating we were able to walk on BTMR twice, the walked on POTC and HM. By this time the park was getting very crowded. I have to say that I was most looking forward to MNSSHP and it turned out to be our biggest disappointment. It was so packed you could not walk anywhere, we got in line at 6:45 to meet Mickey and Minnie and was told a 20 min wait, well after 45 min the line still had not moved. We over heard a man in the front complain to a supervisor that it was after 7pm and non party people were being allowed to meet mickey and minnie and that was why the line was so long. Not sure what all that was about... Anyway we has to leave the line to go find a good parade spot. As we were walking over to Frontierland it started pouring. So we found a spot in front of Peco Bills and waited while the parade was delayed. I must say the parade was amazing! We then stopped at Woody's Dance Party for a few minutes and DD got alot of candy at that spot. We then headed to the fireworks, which were again amazing. We stayed to watch the Villians mix and mingle and then headed to the exit. By this time it was 10:45. We decided to try Mickey and Minne again and were able to see them with no wait. I do not think I will do the MNSSHP next year.

Day 6- HS- Another great day! Got out TSM FP right away, minimal waits for everything else. DD loved TOT. Lunch at Hollywood and Vine. Food not so great but DD got to dance with Jake (one of her favorite characters). We did have to wait a while to get seated. Also went to Echo Lake and Animation building looking for Characterpalooza and did not have any luck. Asked a CM and she had never heard of it. It rained twice but we were lucky first time we were having lunch and second time we were watching Muppets 3D.

Day 7- Pool time before waiting for ME to pick us up.

Also most character lines were not long. Weather was very hot and humid! We had an amazing time!!!! We met so many nice people from all over the world!! Of course we came across some rude people, and CM's that do not seem to enjoy their job but those were few and we did not let them ruin our trip. A big tip I can give to to not go in expecting everything to be perfect and not to expect pixie dust! There will be moments when you will feel irritated and annoyed but move past it and enjoy your trip! It really is the time spent with family and the memories that you will make that makes Disney Magical!

We ended up booking the FD BB next year for WL.

3/12 Poly, 9/12 AKL, 9/13 WL, 9/14 AKL
Cappy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
holden
DIS Veteran

Thanks for a great review! We are heading down soon for the Christmas party. I'm interested to see how they change over the park so quickly from Halloween to Christmas! We are going the first night (11/9).

Thanks again!
DD - 7
holden is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great trip. Sorry your MNSSHP was a disappointment though.

Sounds like you were there on that sold our Friday night. It also sounds like they did not learn from last year with all the Town Square Theater mess. They finally got to a point last year where they started cutting the lines in there in time for the day guests to clear through before letting the party guests in at 7. The result was that it was taking up to 45 minutes for the day guests to get through and many day guests were getting to experience the party characters (princes with the princesses and M/M in party attire) without paying for a ticket...... all while the paying guests waited.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Cappy81
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Thanks for a great review! We are heading down soon for the Christmas party. I'm interested to see how they change over the park so quickly from Halloween to Christmas! We are going the first night (11/9).

Thanks again!
Have a great trip!

Old 10-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
Finally08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post

Sounds like you were there on that sold our Friday night. It also sounds like they did not learn from last year with all the Town Square Theater mess. They finally got to a point last year where they started cutting the lines in there in time for the day guests to clear through before letting the party guests in at 7. The result was that it was taking up to 45 minutes for the day guests to get through and many day guests were getting to experience the party characters (princes with the princesses and M/M in party attire) without paying for a ticket...... all while the paying guests waited.

Actually reading the report I think she did the party on the 30th, which was not sold out - is that right? It was still very crowded nonetheless. But that was the very rainy party night...we didn't have so much of that on the sold out 9/28 party.
Nov 2008 - With Twilight friends in DisneylandMay 2009 - The family returns to WDW! Contemporary
June 2009 - Girls dance trip / All Star MoviesFeb 14-21 2010 Wilderness Lodge Nov 18-27 2010 Pop Century - just me and my girlMay 18-31 2011 Pop Century - just me and my girl, aka "the queen of the kingdom"October 2011 - Family Halloween fun!!Nov. 26-30 '11 trip to visit Flynn!Dec 28- Jan 8 '12 NYE Madness
Sept 27-Oct 2 2012 - Enchanted MNSSHP
Finally08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Cappy81
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post

We were actually there 9/30, if 9/28 was sold out I can't even imagine the crowd! It was odd as they closed the mickey minnie line at 6pm, so when they reopened it they were letting the day guests line up and wait until 7pm to see mickey and minnie in costume. I really felt bad for the CM that the man complained to as she wasn't even the one letting people in line and he was really rude to her, but she handled it well and went and got her supervisor.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: