Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
TheTexasGal
Mouseketeer

Pillowcase - Markers bleeding through?

For those that have done the pillowcase signatures - did you have an issue with the markers bleeding though to the other side? Did you put anything in between your pillowcase to keep this from happening?

I am thinking of buying the STAINED markers by Sharpie that are brush tip markers made to resist fading when washed. I am concerned that they might bleed through. I am thinking of putting a piece of posterboard or file folder between the pillowcase but I am concerned that this will make it a pain to pack.

Any thought? Thanks!
TheTexasGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
MTmomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTexasGal View Post
For those that have done the pillowcase signatures - did you have an issue with the markers bleeding though to the other side? Did you put anything in between your pillowcase to keep this from happening?

I am thinking of buying the STAINED markers by Sharpie that are brush tip markers made to resist fading when washed. I am concerned that they might bleed through. I am thinking of putting a piece of posterboard or file folder between the pillowcase but I am concerned that this will make it a pain to pack.

Any thought? Thanks!
clear contact paper. turn the pillowcase inside out, apply on the side that will be signed. flip the pillow case right side out. still flexible, no possibility of bleeding through to the back side. Cant promise that the markers themselves wont "blow" the signitures by bleeding outwards from the lines.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #3
Piper
DIS Veteran

Use fabric markers. They won't bleed through and will not wash out. You can also put butcher paper between the layers. Easy to fold and won't bleed through.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
Laundress
Mouseketeer

I have had pillowcases done twice while on the wonder. They gave them back to me without any problems. Signatures only on one side. no bleeding through.
I have used both kinds of markers. when I got home I heat set them before washing with a dry iron and so far that has worked for me. I would suggest you take out the light colored markers. Dont show up as nicely. Enjoy
Laundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Uchida brand fabric markers

We got a set of Uchida brand fabric markers at a local Michael's craft store.

These markers were perfect for pillowcase signatures. No bleeding through, and the signatures have lasted through many, many machine washings.

For reference: http://www.uchida.com/p-99-fabric-ma...-tip-sets.aspx

WDW: 17 | DLR: 3 | DCL: 2
Next: Feb 2015 Disney Magic
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
owensjro
DIS Veteran

When we did a t-shirt we included a piece of cardboard we had slid inside the shirt. No problems at all.

Jim
Disney Magic 7N Eastern - 1/17/09
Disney Magic 7N Eastern - 12/19/09
Disney Wonder B2B 5N KeyWest/5N DoubleDip - 6/8/10, 6/13/10
Disney Magic 14N TransAtlantic - 5/14/11
Disney Fantasy B2B 7N Eastern/Western - 6/29/13, 7/6/13
Disney Magic 12N Northern Europe - 7/22/15
owensjro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
Minnie Monellen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTexasGal View Post

Any thought? Thanks!
I used Stained by Sharpie for two white cotton shirts. No bleeding through!
Minnie Monellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
Debella
Earning My Ears

Are all fabric markers created equal? I bought Fabric markers today by Uchida but when I got home I realized they don't say Permanent! Are all Fabric markers permanent? They also look like a finer point. Not sure I got the right kind of markers to autograph a pillowcase.

Also...any type of pillowcase better? I'm assuming a higher thread count. I got pillowcase protectors with a zipper that are 500 thread count, but again, not sure that's the right thing. I have 2 1/2 weeks to get the "right" stuff.

1997 - All Star Music
2006 - POFQ
2011 - CS
Debella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
vleeth
I heart Disney

Anyone have pictures of what the pillowcase looks like after?
vleeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

We used the Uchida fabric markers from Michael's as well. While the word "Permanent" is not on the front of the package, it is in a list of bullet points on the back. I chose a pack of bright colors and was happy with all of them on the finished product except for the yellow. I wish I had followed others' advice and taken it out of the package! The other colors look great. I pre-washed the pillow case before the trip. There was no bleeding through and the pillow case still looks great after multiple washings.

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
Grooovertoo
DIS Dad #572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
Use fabric markers. They won't bleed through and will not wash out. You can also put butcher paper between the layers. Easy to fold and won't bleed through.
DITTO - Fabric markers. Most of all don't forget to put some candies in the baggie with the pillowcase inside. The characters really like that!
DisDAD Member #572 Dave Darla & Dana (9)
Grooovertoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: