Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
If you choose not to join, you can volunteer, you can participate, but you don't have a vote and can't handle money that runs through the PTA (bookfairs, etc) because you aren't insured.

One of the functions of PTA is being the organization that carries insurance, tax liability, and any necessary licensing for events.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
In addition to that in our school if you don't join than your childs class does not get the extra recess and party that the classes that have 100 percent PTA get- your child also does not get the school yearbook that the other kids get at the end of the year. Oh and you can't be a class parent unless you are in the PTA either- which means you can't go on some school trips because only class parents go.

Just because you join doesn't mean you have to actually do anything LOL- I did a lot in grade school but by 4th grade I was done and stepped back and let others take over! A lot depend on your PTA board- when my daughter started school the board was really nice and welcoming and friendly- my daughter is out of that school now but there are horror stories about how witchey and petty the ones in charge are now so if we werethere now I would just pay my 8.00 and be done with it.
Wow, I'm so surprised to hear this. I had no idea other PTO/PTA were so different. At my DD's school there is a board (President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer) who is nominated and voted in to a two year (and only two year) term. Every parent is a member of the PTO without having to pay a dime. They vote at every meeting they attend. We vote by a show of hands. If it looks close, we do count and every vote counts. The only people that handle money are the Treasurer and President. There is no money or dues involved.

As for play dates, the play dates are for the child not you. If I am not comfortable allowing my child at someone's house, I do not send her. I, too, have sent my DD on play dates where nanny's were there to supervise. As a PP mentioned, if my friend trusted her with their children I will as well. Of course, I have always met the parents, nannies, grandparents before sending my child there. The same holds true for play dates at my house. This may sound rude but the play date is for the children and I don't want to have to entertain the parent as well. If I did, I would invite the parent over or out for drinks, whatever.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: