Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
ryanshana
DIS Veteran

Trip Insurance Question HELP!

Ok this is a long story but my dad is pay for our trips (me and my brother). My brother is in a sticky situation. His EX girlfriend is in Rehab and their 3 mo old daughter is in there as well with her. They are no longer together. The trip is for ALL three of them.

They of course are not going on the trip; however, we did purchase the trip insurance through Disney (we are leaving 10/14).

My Brother has an emergency custody hearing on 10/11...the EX-GF has been Subpoena for that day.

There is no way he can go on this trip. Apparently Rehab is not covered under the insurance either. also the EX-Gf even if rehab was covered will more than like not give any paperwork.

Since Subpoenas are covered do you think it will be ok since the subpoena is prior to us leaving? I just am trying to make sure my parents get back their flight money :-( Or in reading this situation can you see another reason that would be able to be claimed?

Any advice would be appreciated....also wasn't sure where this was supposed to go please move if need be

ryanshana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
MMS1125
"You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality."

could it be considered illness? Not really sure how to classify rehab.

Would it not be possible if all goes well for your brother and his dd to go on the trip still?

I'd try the subpoena and see if it works under the insurance however with the date not during your travel time it might not. Not sure if there is a clause that allows a date range or what. Honestly I've never really read over the insurance stipulations all that well even though I've used insurance in the past. Never used the one through Disney though

I hope everything works out for the best for that sweet baby.
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Will addiction being classified as a 'disease' these days, I guess it could be considered medical. Have you call the insurance people and discussed it with them? That would be my first step; just lay it all out there and see what they say..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Were the flights booked through Disney? If not, I'm not sure that Disney's insurance would cover that anyway. It's been a long time since I got the insurance, so I may be wrong about that.

Even if the insurance won't cover the flights, depending on the terms of the ticket purchase, your Dad may be able to get a credit for the fares from the airline. That credit would then remain on his account, and he could use it to book other flights.

I would start by carefully going through the terms for the insurance coverage. See what applies to your situation, and present it to the agent that way when you call. I wouldn't assume that they're going to help you find reasons for them to pay you.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
ryanshana
DIS Veteran

I called the insurance and asked hypothetically about the rehab. Drug/Mental rehabs are NOT covered. Plus I HIGHLY doubt that my brother will get anything from his ex.

The flights were purchased through Disney.

ryanshana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

If the entire trip has already been paid for, it would probably make economic sense to hire an attorney to assist you in this matter. Yes, I know it is going to cost money, but better your father gets back 50-70% of the cost of the trip than 0. More likely than not, you are going to need the lawyer to make a couple of phone calls and then carefully craft a letter to wrap things up. I sincerely doubt that they will be willing, initially, to refund the money and you will need the lawyer to argue the merits of their insurance contract. My estimate is $500-$750 cost to the attorney if you can find one that is sympathetic and understands that this was way beyond anyone's control and that the trip was not purchased withhout good faith to begin with.

Best regards,

Tom
Old 10-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Travel insurance generally does not cover pre-existing conditions, which would fall under rehab, etc.

Also, I did a google and travel insurance only covers you under the clause of subpeonas if you are not a party to the suit; in other words, you were called beyond your control - not that you decided to file and then get subpeonaed to appear in court.

I would definately suggest consulting a lawyer on this one as well.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: