Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #31
jbrostek
Mouseketeer

I try to help, I am sure others are paying attention to the thread, so the heads up can help them adjust their driving plan on an as needed basis as they plan their trips. I know I have a countdown to mine going all the time.

And after doing the I64 climb in a my diesel pusher towing about 5k of trailer up that grade it was a long slow climb....beautiful, but slow climb to the top.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #32
jeepfreak
Mouseketeer

We used to do 95 all the way down from Ma. but the tolls alone were enough to find another way($151.00 total down and back) thats MH and Toad. Last 3 times gone Ma Pike (90) to 84 to 81 to 77 to 26 to 95 to 4. Only real long pull is 77 going north. Total tolls on that route were ma. pike 5.75 each way and 5 for the Newburg bridge. And it's only about 75 miles longer.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #33
GoSox50
Earning My Ears

We also go to the Fort from Mass and have gone the 84/81/77/26/95 route but it was always in the summer. We will be heading to the Fort around Thanksgiving this year and were concerned about the weather going this way. Is this something we should be concerned with? Should we do the 95 route all the way to Florida and back? We have a motorhome and not thrilled with the idea of paying all the tolls on 95. Appreciate any feedback.
GoSox50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #34
jbrostek
Mouseketeer

Having lived in NY and MA before moving south, I have never really had an issue with the highways and weather. Unless your traveling in the middle of the storm, states north of MD are pretty darn good at keeping major roadways open and clear. Though you may want to find a way to wash down the RV if you have to travel back on all the road salts.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #35
sirenia88
Earning My Ears

Hi,

So much information flowing. Jbro, you got some good info there. I pretty much decided to take 81 route. Hopefully some nice fall foliage for the drive down. DW made yet another call to the fort. The loop has been requested. Another 14 days and the road trip will have begun.

So any stop over spots in VA that are recommended on the I 81 route?
Old 09-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #36
jbrostek
Mouseketeer

Hey if I can share what I do know to save the frustration of other travelers it works for me. I hope others can chime in on what they know on the way south. But I will likely post in December to see what construction zones exist south of Richmond on I95 since that is our planned path.

As for stops, I do not have any since due to my starting location I can usually leave the state before I shutdown for the evening.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #37
sirenia88
Earning My Ears

Hello,

We are now into final preparations for roll out to our first trip to FW as family unit. My DW was there in the late 90's during a spring break trip. Of course the small things that get in the way like new tires for the tow vehicle. DD had an ear infection and DW has a sinus infection. However, the trailer is packed just need to pack the perishables and clothes. Everything else packed. The DGPs and DA are ready to go as well. The DGP vehicle has been serviced and good to go.

The trip route is planned. We places to stay for the 2 overnight stops we are going to making as well. So far so good. T minus 3 days. In 72 hours I hope to be asleep in my trailer in VA Otherwise the excitement has been building for what should be a most memorable trip.

Just keep swimming...
Old 10-03-2012, 06:26 AM   #38
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

Safe travels! Have loads of fun!

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #39
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Have a BLAST! Safe Travels!!!

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
KristinU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #40
heartsy77
New BCV DVC owner!

AGH I can't decide! We are leaving Binghamton NY @ 2am Sat to make it to SC by late afternoon!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #41
sirenia88
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsy77 View Post
AGH I can't decide! We are leaving Binghamton NY @ 2am Sat to make it to SC by late afternoon!
Easy. Take the 81/77/26/95/4 route from Binghamton. There are a bunch of KoAs along that route. If you want really push it and can make it into Georgia, the KoA Savannah South was easy to find off the interstate, clean and friendly. At this point you will be about 5 hours from Disney since you are fairly close to the top of Georgia. When you are in the Charlotte area, you are about 10 hours from Disney. I would figure 12 hours should put you somewhere in the NC region as I am factoring in fuel and food stops. That should be around 2 PM since you are leaving at 2 AM. Be aware there is a race this weekend in that area and it is a Saturday night affair. So take that in account as you maybe going though the area in pre race traffic or possible post race traffic depending on any unforeseen factors. I think the race is around 7 PM on Saturday. Now tiredness aside, if you chose to drive another few hours, you could be through a good chuck of SC and possibly on the GA border. There is a Pilot on 95 around mile marker 77 I think that has a great RV gas pump spot.

In my experience with this route, 81 in PA not bad but I picked it up at 78 intersection. I know the top of the side of 81 is a bit hilly. I have been to Scranton and above to almost Binghamton. When I'm up there, I usually stop at New Milford where I do my thing in that area. I digress Maryland, West Virginia and Virginia were not as bad I was thinking while towing. The only real hills came after Roanoke. There is a section of 77 in VA which has some beautiful vistas so make sure the passagers tell you about them as you pay attention of the road. NC would have been pretty quick but I had stopped and seen a friend outside of Mooresville. SC was the tough one. There was about 90 miles of 77, 50 miles of 26 and another 90 miles of 95 before the next state. That run was nearly the same amount of VA. Also the state felt more hilly than VA or PA. Of course the hard part of the drive was Florida. You are so close but yet so far from Disney. It was a relief to see the exit. Overall, I would use this route again if I were to drive down again. It was worth it for a low stress ride then again my parents were riding behind us and giving us blocks to get around slower vehicles.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #42
heartsy77
New BCV DVC owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirenia88 View Post
Easy. Take the 81/77/26/95/4 route from Binghamton. There are a bunch of KoAs along that route. If you want really push it and can make it into Georgia, the KoA Savannah South was easy to find off the interstate, clean and friendly. At this point you will be about 5 hours from Disney since you are fairly close to the top of Georgia. When you are in the Charlotte area, you are about 10 hours from Disney. I would figure 12 hours should put you somewhere in the NC region as I am factoring in fuel and food stops. That should be around 2 PM since you are leaving at 2 AM. Be aware there is a race this weekend in that area and it is a Saturday night affair. So take that in account as you maybe going though the area in pre race traffic or possible post race traffic depending on any unforeseen factors. I think the race is around 7 PM on Saturday. Now tiredness aside, if you chose to drive another few hours, you could be through a good chuck of SC and possibly on the GA border. There is a Pilot on 95 around mile marker 77 I think that has a great RV gas pump spot.

In my experience with this route, 81 in PA not bad but I picked it up at 78 intersection. I know the top of the side of 81 is a bit hilly. I have been to Scranton and above to almost Binghamton. When I'm up there, I usually stop at New Milford where I do my thing in that area. I digress Maryland, West Virginia and Virginia were not as bad I was thinking while towing. The only real hills came after Roanoke. There is a section of 77 in VA which has some beautiful vistas so make sure the passagers tell you about them as you pay attention of the road. NC would have been pretty quick but I had stopped and seen a friend outside of Mooresville. SC was the tough one. There was about 90 miles of 77, 50 miles of 26 and another 90 miles of 95 before the next state. That run was nearly the same amount of VA. Also the state felt more hilly than VA or PA. Of course the hard part of the drive was Florida. You are so close but yet so far from Disney. It was a relief to see the exit. Overall, I would use this route again if I were to drive down again. It was worth it for a low stress ride then again my parents were riding behind us and giving us blocks to get around slower vehicles.
When I was at work last night my resident's family said 81 south to 17 south to Winchester, to 95 According to them this would get us out of Beltway.

We do have reservations at New Green Acres in Walterbro SC so that is our destination for tomorrow.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #43
sirenia88
Earning My Ears

I am not familiar with that route. I spoke with my neighbor who I think took that route. He said it was fine. If it works, good for you. I hope my report was able to give some insight since my trip was pretty recent.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #44
heartsy77
New BCV DVC owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirenia88 View Post
I am not familiar with that route. I spoke with my neighbor who I think took that route. He said it was fine. If it works, good for you. I hope my report was able to give some insight since my trip was pretty recent.
Yes thanks!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #45
jbrostek
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsy77 View Post
When I was at work last night my resident's family said 81 south to 17 south to Winchester, to 95 According to them this would get us out of Beltway.

We do have reservations at New Green Acres in Walterbro SC so that is our destination for tomorrow.
81-17-95 drops you off just north of Fredrickburg, VA. Unless you plan to stop in Winchester for a food stop or break from driving, skip the US17 exit off 81 and head a few miles south to I66 East, then pick up US17 south heading to Warrenton. You avoid about 23 miles of various lights, and speed limit changes and 2 lane roads.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: