Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #11
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Converting 2D friends-in-a-box into 3D friends-for-life

In this 2D box world that we occupy on the Dis, the words that we type are the only tools we have to craft connections with others. If you’re really lucky, your words might strike up a chord with someone else who then posts words in response to your words.

So it has been with me, as it has with many other Dissers….connections are formed, bonds are created and all of a sudden….we’ve become what I call 2D friends-in-a-box.

I don’t know about you; but hanging out with my friends-in-a-box is part of my everyday 3D life now. The friendships I form on the Ethernet are as real to me as they are with my 3D friends. Granted….there is always that stranger danger involved with being on the Net; and there is always the possibility of trolls. But then…..there are no guarantees in real life either.

Nevertheless; since de-lurking and joining the Dis, every time I’ve headed over to the US, a DisMeet or two has always been involved. The two that we’ve got planned (so far) for this trip will take me to 9 DisMeets in the last 2 ½ years.

Why do I DisMeet?

I guess it is always nice to be able to put a face to the on-screen persona and I’ve found that when you do finally meet a Dis-ser in 3D, the conversation just picks up from where we left off on-screen. There doesn’t seem to be all that awkwardness involved when meeting someone and there is always something to talk about and share a laugh with.

On this trip, I will be spending the bulk of my time in SoCal with franandaj. We’ve already had a DisMeet in 2011 and I’m looking forward to firming up the friendship even more on this trip.

The majority of my time on this trip will be spent in NorCal and I have a DisMeet lined up with usnuzulose and ACDSNY for when I'm in San Francisco.

Usnuz and I met in Monterey in 2011 and I’m looking forward to more corn and all the fixin’s with her again.
And this will be the first 3D meet with ACDSNY…so I’m really looking forward to being able to put facial expressions and voice intonations to her typed words!

I am also hoping that mvf-m11c will be able to work out his schedule so that he can come join us for the San Francisco meet. But if it doesn’t work out for this trip, maybe next time!

And you might have noticed that I’ve posted about the DisMeets ahead of my itinerary and plans. I guess it’s a measure of how much I’m looking forward to converting 2D friends-in-a-box to 3D friends-for-life!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: