Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
GBBTomorrow
DIS Veteran

Let's Petition RunDisney for Women's Shirts!

Hey y'all,
I just sent a letter to RunDisney through their website asking them to consider separate race shirts for women and men. Does anybody else share this concern?

They call these shirts "unisex," but that's really a joke. These are MEN's shirts, made for male bodies. They don't fit women in the waist, shoulders and armhole. The armhole is a particular problem, as it's too big and the inside of my arm rubs against my skin and bra when I run. And, to be honest, these boxy shirts are just plain unflattering on a lady's body.

I treasure all my shirts, but would wear them a lot more if they were made for me instead of for a man.

Thousands and thousands of women participate in RunDisney races. It seems reasonable that we should get shirts that fit. The Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon is an enormous event, and they provide choice of shirts; it seems Disney could do the same.

If you agree with me, perhaps you could send RunDisney a comment too. If they hear from enough of us, maybe they'll consider it.

Thanks, and happy running!
Cheers,
Cari

Last edited by GBBTomorrow; 10-02-2012 at 08:33 AM.
GBBTomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
riggins
You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.

I agree! I would love to see women's shirts. I just registered for the Myrtle Beach half marathon and when selecting t-shirt size, I got to pick men's or women's. I was pleased to see it and hope its the start of a trend!!
6/14-DCL Dream**2/14-BLT-Glass Slipper**1/14-YC-Half Marathon**12/13-Magic**10/13-BWV**1/13-BWV-Marathon**7/12-BWV**1/12-SSR-Goofy Challenge**8/11-AKLV**4/11-Dream**1/11-BWV-Half Marathon**12/10-Magic**9/10-BWV**4/10-Wonder**1/10-VWL-Half Marathon**12/09-Magic**8/09-Poly**1/09-BWV-Half Marathon**11/08-Wonder**7/08-CR**4/08-BCV and DCL Wonder**10/07-Wonder**8/07-OKW and DCL Wonder**12/06-OKW**6/06-BWV**3/06-Magic**12/05-CR**9/05-BCV**7/05-WL**12/04-Dolphin**11/04-VWL**6/04-OKW**1/04-BWV**10/03-CR**11/02-OKW**4/02-BWV
riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
Terapin
DIS Veteran

I totally agree. The men's fit is off-putting. Absolutely no reason to have the shirts just fit men. In fact, don't more women participate?

2014 Princess GSC! BLT/VGF/DCL stay
2014 Determined to do Dopey! BWV stay

Terapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
KristinU
DIS Veteran

I'll send an email!

At least they do womens cut shirts for the Princess, which is the only Disney race I've run, so I didn't know they're not on the bandwagon on the other races. Yuck.

It seems that many races are starting to get the message. The RnR series does mens and womens now, and my local Hartford Marathon Foundation offers a choice for most races now as well.

If I get a mens cut shirt I give it away.

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
hungrygreenhippo
Mouseketeer

I just sent off my email. (Used the contact form on the Run Disney website.)

You're so right that the Disney shirts aren't even "unisex". The photo below is from the 2009 Disneyland 1/2 and I made my BF take it because the shirt is just so ridiculous. The sleeves are so huge but the body is short and tight. I can't imagine the shirt actually fitting anyone, male or female.

I forgot to do this at ToT, but in the past I've also talked to the Run Disney reps at Expos about getting gender specific shirts. I'll have to start doing that again. Maybe I'll post it to their Facebook page too.
hungrygreenhippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terapin View Post
I totally agree. The men's fit is off-putting. Absolutely no reason to have the shirts just fit men. In fact, don't more women participate?
Depends on the race, but yes.

I don't know why Disney doesn't offer a choice - the Illinois Marathon (which is considerably smaller) has offered them every year since it's inception.

At the risk of being snarky, however - you could just wait a couple of years. Judging by the ratio of the photos on the runDisney FB page, almost no men run any of the races, so they'll switch them all to women-themed by 2015 or so.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #7
Qltrgrl2
DIS Veteran

I agree that the unisex shirts are terrible for women. I sent a message via FB and will also send an email. Perhaps a few snail mail letters would be a good idea too. The Rock and Roll events do a great job with male and female shirts, so why can't Disney? The funny thing is that there are more females participating in the Disney races than males....they need to take care of the ladies!
Qltrgrl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: