Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 05:53 AM   #16
MikellaCinderella
Addicted to Disney Cruises!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatSleepArchery View Post
I apologize for the strange post...we're new to island travel and my 13 year old has her heart set on looking for lizards in Nassau and at Castaway Cay...will there be many for her to see??? (not to keep, or harm, just to observe!)

They just don't seem to make it to very many trip reports if they are out there
Yep! Mainly just small ones in Nassau and Castaway Cay, but as someone else mentioned.....for future DCL cruise bookings.....we have found some HUGE lizards/iguanas in Cozumel, St. Maarten, and St. Thomas! They love grapes!

***WE HAVE COMPLETED OUR GRAND SLAM (April 21, 2012)!!! WOO HOO!!*** Upcoming: Re-Imagined Magic 12/04/13*** Disney Dream 04/12, Disney Dream 11/12, Disney Fantasy 04/12, Disney Dream 09/11, Disney Magic 02/09, Disney Magic 02/04, Disney Wonder 09/03, Disney Magic 06/03, Disney Magic 08/02, Big Red Boat (prior to DCL's existance) 05/97...and too many trips to WDW to count!
MikellaCinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:13 AM   #17
MikellaCinderella
Addicted to Disney Cruises!

Here are a few of our giant lizard encounters. We don't have any pics of the small, quick lizards in Nassau and Castaway Cay. They are just too darn fast! Trust me, I've tried to chase them! The little ones in Mexico are easier to catch!

My daughter was only 3 1/2 in this pic. This was in Cozumel, DCL Magic 2009.

St. Thomas, Disney Fantasy 2012.

St. Maarten, Disney Fantasy 2012.

Castaway Cay, Disney Fantasy 2012. Since we couldn't keep up with the little lizards, we settled for collecting small sand crabs. (All of which were catch & release....no sand crabs were harmed in this activity. )

***WE HAVE COMPLETED OUR GRAND SLAM (April 21, 2012)!!! WOO HOO!!*** Upcoming: Re-Imagined Magic 12/04/13*** Disney Dream 04/12, Disney Dream 11/12, Disney Fantasy 04/12, Disney Dream 09/11, Disney Magic 02/09, Disney Magic 02/04, Disney Wonder 09/03, Disney Magic 06/03, Disney Magic 08/02, Big Red Boat (prior to DCL's existance) 05/97...and too many trips to WDW to count!
MikellaCinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #18
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

If you stay in Cocoa Beach the night before, you will probably see several of the small ones before you even get to Nassau or Castaway Cay!

We typically have at least one lizard in the house each week, and always have to avoid stepping on them outside the house.

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #19
perdidobay
Will work for travel ;-)
Needs rescuing from Chunky Monkey!!!!

Your daughter will find plenty of anoles on CC, they are everywhere in Florida too. They are also common in coastal southeast US too, they climb up all over the pool cage at our house in Alabama. We also have cute little geckos, but I haven't seen any of those at CC.

Anole- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_anole
Old 10-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #20
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

In all my years here at the DIS, I don't think I've ever noticed user names as much as this morning!

To the OP ~ Love yours! DS & I are both archers.
To perdidobay ~ Love that one too!! Love those books so much...

And LOL at the "lizard island" thing... I've never seen too many of them on St. Maarten, but those giant iguanas have always been all over St. Thomas when we've been there!

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #21
GordonBydand86
Earning My Ears

My DW and I were on a Western Caribbean cruise in Feb and on one of our tours we were served "Bamboo Chicken" which is Iguana... It was DELICISIOUS! We also saw iguanas and lizards everywhere!
GordonBydand86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #22
MissMet
DVC Member, former NY Mets Season Tkt Holder & Blogging Addict

I've seen very large iguanas on St Thomas & Puerto Rico many times. Tiny lizards basically everywhere else.

MissMet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #23
EatSleepArchery
Earning My Ears

spiders????

Thanks for all your posts!!!! Loved the pictures...too bad we're doing the Eastern Caribbean cruise, feel like we might be a little lizard "poor" now!!!!

How about spiders...my other daughter (10) can put on quite the show when she encounters one!!!!! Kind of makes sense the lizards would have to eat something that crawls????

Thanks again for all your posts!!!!
EatSleepArchery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #24
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

As others have mentioned, you can't go outside in FL without seeing a TON of them. As a matter of fact, there's one on my den window right now. My cat loves to watch them (and eat them if she's out on the screened patio ).

You will see them all over CC and Nassau.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #25
WDWDeb
Cue the DCL horn!

EatSleepArchery...join the club! My kids enjoy doing the same thing! Yes, they find lizards and the little crabs on CC. The bike paths and walking paths are a good place to look for them. There were quite a few in the family cabana area too. They are usually found closer to bushes and trees than just out in the sand. If you are one of the first ones on the beach in the morning, you see lots of crab and lizard tracks in the freshly groomed sand.

fyi..if there is anyone out there whose kids enjoy finding those cicada skins on the trees, my kids searched every palm tree they could find on CC in Aug and collected 37. They thought it was the greatest treasure hunt ever!
WDWDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #26
Laila Bryce
Mouseketeer

Can someone confirm if there are scorpions on Castaway?
Laila Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #27
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

You should take your lizard loving daughter to Grand Cayman to the Botanical Garden - they grow BIG blue ones there! (Bus from Georgetown, take water & snacks)
Old 10-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #28
DLW8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatSleepArchery View Post
Thanks for all your posts!!!! Loved the pictures...too bad we're doing the Eastern Caribbean cruise, feel like we might be a little lizard "poor" now!!!!

How about spiders...my other daughter (10) can put on quite the show when she encounters one!!!!! Kind of makes sense the lizards would have to eat something that crawls????

Thanks again for all your posts!!!!
St. Maarten actually has a lizard "farm" where you see TONS of them. We stopped there while on Bernard's Tours last week. St. Thomas is also on the Eastern itinarary, and people have posted they have seen them there as well. We didn't spend much time on St. Thomas (we took a catamaran to St. John instead), but if you are on the Eastern, you will have plenty of lizard opportunities.

3/2014 Solo weekend Yacht Club, 9/2012 Eastern Cruise on the Fantasy, 9/2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge to celebrate our 15th Anniversary, 11/2010 Cruisin on the Magic, 12/5/09 First Cruise with a stay at the Poly, 1/16/08 First Family trip: Boardwalk Villas, 5/2000 PO, 10/1997 Dixie, 8/1995 Yacht Club, 6/1995 All Star Music, 1972 - 1989: off property trips in my youth!!

Currently saving for a Fall Western Fantasy in 2014!
DLW8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: