Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2011, 11:03 PM   #16
Purplegal
Mouseketeer

I wanted to update this as I spoke to the chef (cant remember her name!) at Ariel's Grotto regarding lunch choices for dairy free. They can do the pasta, and the chicken teryaki type dish....the rice is NOT dairy free but she said if we requested it they could obtain DF rice from another restaurant.
I am most pleased that they have an orange sorbet they can serve for dessert, she will be so excited! I think I mentioned I have searched high and low for dairy free ice cream options (sorbet) and this is the first I've discovered it. Apparently they also have it at the Wine Country restaurant in DCA.

Next I have a message in for the chef at the Plaza for the Minnie & Friends Character breakfast...I'm hoping the French Toast will be DF and I'm gonna push it and ask if I bring my own almond milk if they will make DD some dairy free Mickey waffles...cant hurt to ask right?
Old 04-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #17
teach1abc
Mouseketeer

My daughter is allergic to all dairy, nuts, and eggs (we carry an epipen). The only time we ate on site was at Goofy's Kitchen. When we sat down at the table, we told our server. The chef was brought out to our table and he went over our options. She ended up with special pancakes shaped like Mickey. For the rest of our meals, we stopped at the store and bought things to make sandwiches to bring into the park with us, breakfast items, and snacks.

*BTW - most rice krispy treats have butter in them. We made our own special mickey shaped cookies and rice krispy treats and brought them with us (we drove from N. CA.
teach1abc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #18
Purplegal
Mouseketeer

Ah bummer about the rice krispie treats! Yes, I do plan on making several of my own special treats...the problem is trying to do it secretly!

I just spoke with Chef Mark at the Plaza regarding the Minnie & Friends breakfast. He said they could make dairy free Mickey waffles for my DD! I just need to contact the lead or the chef when we arrive.
He also said that the already prepared eggs have dairy in them, but if we go to the omelet station they can make any type of eggs for us and they are df. The hash browns are also df, as are the meats.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #19
babyruth
Mouseketeer

thanks for the info on the prepared eggs. Sometimes I forget those usually have dairy. We'll be at Goofy's on Sunday. I'm sure they are the same prepared eggs as the Plaza. I do not want to get sick on vacation!

11/01 WDW All Star Sports
4/08 WDW POR
4/11 DLR offsite Residence Inn Maingate
2/12 WDW offsite Rosen Centre

Me DH DS15 DS13 DS10
babyruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #20
VandVsmama
Mouseketeer

My dad is highly allergic to sulfites in various foods. he has found it useful to explain things a certain way to restaurant servers and other employees when the employee doesn't quite seem to 'get it' re: his food allergy.

Whenever the person says something like "I could ask, but I don't know" or something like "um maybe..." then my dad gives the person a schpiel kind of like the following:

"here's the deal. If you or your chef or kitchen staff serve me anything with this particular ingredient in it, I am going to get really sick and you are going to have to call the paramedics. I would really appreciate it if you could please talk with the chef to see what substitutions are available."

That's usually when the person kind of "wakes up," their eyes get really big, and they say, "Oh! Of course! One moment, I'll go inquire and I'll be right back."

Then they toddle off to the kitchen to talk w/the kitchen staff. and the server then comes out a few minutes later with several different options for how they can make certain dishes differently.

As other posters' replies have implied, dairy free dining is not the same for everybody. Some people are sensitive to lactose. For others, it is an allergy or sensitivity to milk protein (casein). And a truly fully dairy free diet is often challenging because there is casein in a LOT of things. I had to go totally dairy free when nursing YDD and just got into the habit of telling servers at restaurants that items couldn't be sauteed in butter, no milk products of any kind, etc. I even had to ask about hamburger buns, stuff like that. lots of cereals have dairy in them. You have to check all labels. Even some juice products might have casein in them.
VandVsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #21
Purplegal
Mouseketeer

I'm gonna bump this thread up again because we are going back and I need to revisit all the dairy free choices!
If anyone has tips of any new treats that are dairy free I'd really appreciate it!
Old 10-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #22
rewardsinlife
Mouseketeer

Blue bayou was able to do my order completely dairy free. I had a salad with dairy free dressing and a monte cristo sandwich with no cheese! It was wonderful! I know it is expensive, but I was so full I didn't need any snacks the rest of the day. Btw, not sure on this one, but isnt the lemon ice stand dairy free? ( never tried it).

me on the way to DL...every time!
rewardsinlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #23
Plutos Mommy
Earning My Ears

My DD has to be dairy free. As it is all dairy products and by products they always send a chef out to speak with her.

She can eat the salad at Hungry Bear and I usually get sweet potato fries with my meal which we share (she usually asks for extra salad dressing to dip the fries in).

There is a salad at Cafe Orleans that has goat cheese and raspberry vinaigrette she likes but last time we were there they were worried about cross contamination.

Our favorite place to eat is the Big Thunder BBQ for lunch as they only thing she can't have is the cornbread so she doesn't feel like she is missing out.
Plutos Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: